Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot saved our lives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I was watching with interest a city road test using EAP.
It seems that there is still some work to handle narrow streets, in particular when cars are parked in the street.

It's almost like the system isn't even intended to be used at all on city streets.

if only Tesla mentioned that somewhere.

Like, say, the owners manual. Repeatedly.

• Love
Reactions: fabian and dmurphy
It's almost like the system isn't even intended to be used at all on city streets.

if only Tesla mentioned that somewhere.

Like, say, the owner's manual. Repeatedly.

I agree that EAP should be used on divided road, however don't Elon Musk during last Tesla’s investor day
mentioned something like FSD would be soon (? 2020) available in some areas? (no mention of restricted to non city streets)

Musk said that his company’s robotaxis should start hitting the road sometime in 2020, pending regulatory approval.

See the Tesla Autonomy Day video, around 2h 46 mn

.. we expect to be confident enough from our standpoint to say that we think people do not need to touch the wheel and look out of the window
sometime probably around I don't know second quarter of next year and then we start to expect to get regulatory approval at least in some
jurisdictions for that towards the end of next year what is that that's a roughly the timeline that I expect things to go on ....

I agree that EAP should be used on divided road, however don't Elon Musk during last Tesla’s investor day
mentioned something like FSD would be soon (? 2020) available in some areas? (no mention of restricted to non city streets)

Yes- but that would only be with the HW3 upgrade and the new, much larger, NN and advanced software the new computer enables.

So trying to conclude anything about those locations using current HW/SW is pointless.

It'd be like pointing to a 9 month old and concluding from their current behavior they'll never be capable of walking.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Source: Epworth Sleepiness Scale: A Helpful Screening Tool for Sleep Disorders

The Epworth Sleepiness Scale, 0 - no chance to 3 - high chance:
  1. Sitting and reading
  2. Watching TV
  3. Sitting inactive in a public place
  4. As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
  5. Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
  6. Sitting and talking to someone
  7. Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
  8. In a car, while stopped for a few minutes
  • Add the scores
  • 0-7: Unlikely that patient is abnormally sleepy
  • 8-9: Patient has an average amount of daytime sleepiness
  • 10-15: Patient may be excessively sleepy depending on the situation. Patient may want to seek medical treatment.
  • 16-24: Patient is excessively sleepy and should consider seeking medical treatment.
Of course as EV owners, we have a special case, "while sitting in your car when charging."

FYI, the source: Epworth Sleepiness Scale – The Official Website of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS & ESS-CHAD)

Bob Wilson

Similar to this bike:
BB9881.JPG

My wife met me when this was my only ground ride. She would get on the back with our laundry in a backpack and off we'd go. Then she would have a cataplexy, Cataplexy: Symptoms, causes, and treatment:

The condition is most commonly associated with narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that is thought to affect between 135,000 and 200,000 people in the United States.

Cataplexy occurs during waking hours. During a mild attack, there may be a barely visible weakness in a muscle, such as drooping of the eyelids. A more severe episode may involve a total body collapse.

Although it is a different condition, cataplexy is sometimes misdiagnosed as a seizure disorder.

There is no cure for cataplexy, but it can be managed with medications and modification of potential triggers.

Holding on to me, she would become 'rag doll' limp. I would lean back to pin her against the sissy bar and come to a stop on the shoulder. After about 5 minutes, she would come back and hold on to me. I'd restart the bike and we'd continue the trip.

Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder with strange symptoms. Happily around age 65, her symptoms abated and that has been a blessing. But her first husband impregnated her during one of her narcolepsy events.

With medication, she controlled her narcolepsy and to a greater or lessor extent lived a productive life. Then she 'caught me' and I learned what it means to live with a narcoleptic. A sleep disorder, it had no effect on her intellect and joy of life. For example, driving.

She would complain, "You let that truck pass you!" Then when she drove, the speed limit was treated as the minimum. She was as lead footed as I was an economy driver ... opposites attract?

Regardless, I have some experience with sleep disorders and an understanding of the treatments. Only fools would think these are voluntary ... like saying any disorder from small pox to cancer is someone trying to voluntarily attract the symptoms. In contrast, Luke10:25-37 pretty well describes what Jesus taught.

Bob Wilson

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
No one is faulting you for the disorder, your fault is driving with reckless abandonment and disregard for others thinking autopilot will save you. sack of s..
So in Luke 10, who are you, the priest or levite?

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

I'm proud of what Elon's AutoPilot does to improve our lives. Your abysmal ignorance and lack of understanding is not my problem. Rather, the facts and data are not your friend.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
No one is faulting you for the disorder, your fault is driving with reckless abandonment and disregard for others thinking autopilot will save you.

There’s no point. He doesn’t want to listen, quotes the Bible (Jesus was a proponent of FSD, don’t you know) and simply shouldn’t be allowed to drive. Hopefully he won’t kill anyone else when he (likely) crashes his car.

Reactions: Burrito
So in Luke 10, who are you, the priest or levite?

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

I'm proud of what Elon's AutoPilot does to improve our lives. Your abysmal ignorance and lack of understanding is not my problem. Rather, the facts and data are not your friend.

Bob Wilson

Your abysmal lack of reading and lack of understanding is your problem. The facts and data TELL you to ALWAYS be in control of your vehicle. You weren’t, multiple times during the same trip, and not only that but you’re proud of it.

Reactions: Burrito
There’s no point. He doesn’t want to listen, quotes the Bible (Jesus was a proponent of FSD, don’t you know) and simply shouldn’t be allowed to drive. Hopefully he won’t kill anyone else when he (likely) crashes his car.
What little faith you have in AutoPilot.
Your abysmal lack of reading and lack of understanding is your problem. The facts and data TELL you to ALWAYS be in control of your vehicle. You weren’t, multiple times during the same trip, and not only that but you’re proud of it.
Absolutely proud because I have tested it and shown that AutoPilot works. In contrast ... what have you done?

Bob Wilson

A reasonable review:

Bob Wilson

Reasonable review? Clearly you didn't read the comments on the video's YouTube site from Tesla owners that pointed out, quite loudly, that he wasn't even using NoA like he thought he was but instead was on AutoPilot (autosteer)! Again didn't read and understand the manual for using the feature, just like in his first video which he was highly criticized for making also based on his lack of knowledge on the system. Someone else stated that he doesn't know how to set his speed. People who don't know how to use a product shouldn't be making videos demonstrating how things work, and he's an auto reviewer no less. Couldn't agree more. For those that know how to drive with AP and NoA, he comes off looking like ...well...whatever. Others have wondered if he's intentionally trying to provide misinformation about the car and these features or whether he is a short seller. Really no excuse for what he's putting out.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe that this 'person' is remotely real. (note to the OP - PLEASE HIT "IGNORE", as I will also)

This 'person' is just reveling in our responses.
I can't say that I necessarily agree w/what Bob's doing and haven't followed this thread but have seen a lot of people slamming him.

FWIW, I actually met Bob along in Jan 2009 in Detroit along w/many other Prius enthusiasts (including some folks now here on TMC). We were invited by Toyota. He was always known to do a lot of Prius related tests and push the boundaries, besides graphing everything. :)

He'd intentionally run out of fuel many times on all of his Priuses (e.g. [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III)). I believe his main motivation was #1 at Running out of gas on purpose. Intermediate gasoline survey report was one of his outputs.

As for engineer, let's just say there are subjects that he knows about that are WAY beyond me or in FAR greater depth. He made a comment to me of "I'm a mechanical engineer. I have to know everything." I remember him telling me that he would buy and read SAE papers published by Toyota on a generation of Prius newer than his (e.g. NWH20 when he had an NHW11) just to learn what they improved and why.

I hope he doesn't mind me pointing to the web page that's listed on his profile about some of his other prior work: 2003 Prius. He's actually a very intelligent person and he did some produce some interesting and useful work/results over at Priuschat.

OT: To add to another video of sleeping while in AP,
was making the rounds awhile ago.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
@cwerdna
So you met him and he’s smart. Great.... do you approve of him happily sleeping at the wheel? Would you be a happy and calm passenger with him at the wheel relying on his faith in the god of autopilot? It seems you missed the point too, if you are in fact serious and not trolling like Wilson is.

I really hope he’s trolling. He can’t be that dim. He’s an engineer...

Reactions: Sherlo
He's actually a very intelligent person and he did some produce some interesting and useful work/results over at Priuschat.

To others that may be reading all the sordid details......Since this individual is neck deep in that river in Egypt, I have chosen to ignore him. To "cwerdna" who posted the above statement, I can't believe you even THINK he's intelligent. He may be "knowledgeable", but driving impaired as he is doing? If you just let that sink in, any sane individual with any common sense will come to the conclusion that he cannot in any way be classified as "very intelligent."

Reactions: Sherlo and WilliamG
Thanks @cwerdna for recalling my ‘out of gas’ experiments and the vitriolic responses. Yet all I wanted was to show how easy it was to avoid an expensive tow and service charge. AutoPilot saving lives is a lot more important than cry baby complainers.

As I've already described in the source, Autopilot saved our lives:

. . .
'Micro sleep' is a thing that my narcoleptic wife (and late aunt) suffered. Involuntarily, the victim goes to sleep for 2-5 seconds with no warning and the most effective treatment is uninterrupted sleep. After seven days cat napping in a bucket chair and one post release nap, I was primed.
. . .
Micro sleeps are involuntary and detected only when the individual recognizes having woken up. When driving, it becomes either a head-on collision or single car accident. Autopilot gives them a chance to survive.
. . .

This is the heart and soul of my posting that shows AutoPilot saves lives. When the lives saved are me, my wife, her dogs, and others, it is a good thing I am proud of.

Bob Wilson

So in Luke 10, who are you, the priest or...

Bob Wilson

Is no one else besides me going to bite on the irony of someone bizarrely quoting the Bible in the same post as chastising someone for not relying on “facts and data”?

Thanks @cwerdna for recalling my ‘out of gas’ experiments and the vitriolic responses. Yet all I wanted was to show how easy it was to avoid an expensive tow and service charge. AutoPilot saving lives is a lot more important than cry baby complainers.

As I've already described in the source, Autopilot saved our lives:

. . .
'Micro sleep' is a thing that my narcoleptic wife (and late aunt) suffered. Involuntarily, the victim goes to sleep for 2-5 seconds with no warning and the most effective treatment is uninterrupted sleep. After seven days cat napping in a bucket chair and one post release nap, I was primed.
. . .
Micro sleeps are involuntary and detected only when the individual recognizes having woken up. When driving, it becomes either a head-on collision or single car accident. Autopilot gives them a chance to survive.
. . .

This is the heart and soul of my posting that shows AutoPilot saves lives. When the lives saved are me, my wife, her dogs, and others, it is a good thing I am proud of.

Bob Wilson

When you have FIVE of those involuntary micro-sleeps, it’s no longer involuntary. You’re a danger to everyone. You know it, we know it. Just stop posting in this nonsense thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.