Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot saved our lives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this experiment bob.

Go to the dmv. Tell them you have an issue where you involuntarily fall asleep at the wheel and tell us the result.

If you don’t like that experiment. I have another

Find a cliff and drive off it. See if autopilot saves you. Report the findings

Right? Please do this, Bob. Go to the DMV. Tell them it’s happened for you where you fell asleep 5 times (at minimum 4 of those times voluntarily since you were aware of the condition) while you were driving during just one trip. If you’re able to record the conversation with the DMV’s permission, please do.

We all look forward to rejoicing another dangerous driver removed from the road. Much like reporting someone with firearms who shouldn’t have them due to mental illness, it’s our duty to report those who are a danger to others on the road.

Also, this Bob Wilson guy is clearly either a troll or has actual psychological problems based on how strange every single post in this thread he’s made is.

In either case, he’s both an idiot and undeserving of future attention.

Don’t feed the trolls.

He’s not a troll. He’s just at the point in his life where he genuinely believes what he’s saying is right.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Bob, Autopilot increases safety for all drivers, including you, but that is not the issue here, it's safer for a drunk driver to drive on Autopilot than without but that does not make it safe. Besides, Autopilot can't be enabled on city streets so good luck with your micro naps while going through a red light.

Reactions: Burrito
From the Tesla Q1 2019 safety report, Tesla Vehicle Safety Report:

In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 2.87 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot, we registered one accident for every 1.76 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 436,000 miles.

Basic AutoPilot works great as I've already avoided five potential accidents. It could do better handling trailers crossing a road and approaching a road that splits into two lanes. Perhaps the next release will address these.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It could do better handling trailers crossing a road and approaching a road that splits into two lanes.

Probably because it is explicitly not intended to be used on roads with cross-traffic- as explained to you like 20 times now.

Perhaps the next release will address these.

It won't.

You'd think an engineer would be smart enough not to keep complaining "Hey- this doesn't do something the people who made it explicitly say it doesn't do"

If you want it to ever do anything about cross traffic you're gonna need to add FSD, and then wait for the HW3 computer swap and the updated NN for HW3 and in-city support.

The drive from Huntsville AL to the Memphis TN SuperCharger takes US 72 but Mississippi had some surprises:
MS_cross_010.jpg

There are dashed, white lines on the right side, straight alongside the lane. AutoPilot drives straight across with no problem.

The real surprise was an intersection that did not have the dashed lines on the right-hand side:
MS_cross_020.jpg

Trying to split the difference, the AutoPilot steered a curve to the far right ditch. Once I figured it out, it was easy enough to hold the steering straight and the rest of the trip was less exciting.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
It's almost like the system is explicitly not intended to be used on roads with intersections or something.

No point arguing with this guy. He’s not worth the time or effort. Again, hopefully the next time he falls asleep or uses AutoPilot in ways the car explicitly warns against - that when he kills himself he won’t take anyone else with him.

Reactions: Burrito
It's almost like the system is explicitly not intended to be used on roads with intersections or something.
It did this to me on Highway 13 (an expressway) in the Bay Area.

I get that they designed AP to do one limited thing, but anyone who has worked at a startup knows how it feels when marketing gets way ahead of reality.

A good friend of mine came over and we went for a ride in my Model 3. He said "so the autopilot can drive you home when you're drunk, right?" I said "no, absolutely not, it cant even properly identify a semi truck." And he said "OK, but I heard you could totally get drunk and just have it drive, right?"

The rest of the driving world, which was not following Tesla since day 1, does not read manuals, and has no interest in acronyms or neural networks or hardware, is coming.

Bob Wilson! I remember you from several years ago on a different forum when you had the..well..the Prius. I remember you telling us about some of your experiences working for various companies as an engineer. If remember correctly, you left and restarted working for one location three times! CPAP usage during night time may not be common knowledge with the younger folks but it is utilized by many individuals who need it. Hope the daylight episodes are not related to prolong sitting? Movement on a regular basis is a powerful intervention. Hope is all well and keep us posted on the AP function. I'm waiting for the Model Y to arrive.

I can’t read more than the first two pages . . .
That is a shame as I made several posts about sleep disorders including a screening poll, treatments, and resources:

Source: Epworth Sleepiness Scale: A Helpful Screening Tool for Sleep Disorders

The Epworth Sleepiness Scale, 0 - no chance to 3 - high chance:
  1. Sitting and reading
  2. Watching TV
  3. Sitting inactive in a public place
  4. As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
  5. Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
  6. Sitting and talking to someone
  7. Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
  8. In a car, while stopped for a few minutes
  • Add the scores
  • 0-7: Unlikely that patient is abnormally sleepy
  • 8-9: Patient has an average amount of daytime sleepiness
  • 10-15: Patient may be excessively sleepy depending on the situation. Patient may want to seek medical treatment.
  • 16-24: Patient is excessively sleepy and should consider seeking medical treatment.
Of course as EV owners, we have a special case, "while sitting in your car when charging."

FYI, the source: Epworth Sleepiness Scale – The Official Website of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS & ESS-CHAD)
BTW, I left the house at ~8 PM Sunday evening, drove over 300 miles at night and returned home at 5 AM Monday without a problem: CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3

Bob Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.