Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot should stop at red lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question. I know FSD has all the features necessary. But this one issue I fine disappointing, that’s unless the vehicle is behind another it will not stop at a red light. The safest car on the planet (comments appreciate) should be given this ability.

It’s a safety thing!

Sounds like there's an underlying issue here, and/or a weird edge case where the car isn't perceiving the red light. The FSD-enabled cars should be stopping at red lights and stop signs, regardless of a car being in front of it or not. Source: myself using Autopilot (no FSD beta, but with FSD feature enabled) around town.

Reactions: X-pilot
My 2 cents is autopilot, while technically accurate from a aviation or marine perspective, should be renamed to “traffic aware lane keep” or TALK. And red light and stop sign should remain in FSD (which should also be renamed but I haven’t thought of a good 4LA for that one yet).

My 2 cents is autopilot, while technically accurate from a aviation or marine perspective, should be renamed to “traffic aware lane keep” or TALK. And red light and stop sign should remain in FSD (which should also be renamed but I haven’t thought of a good 4LA for that one yet).
Perpetually Undelivered Fancy Features.

General question. I know FSD has all the features necessary. But this one issue I fine disappointing, that’s unless the vehicle is behind another it will not stop at a red light. The safest car on the planet (comments appreciate) should be given this ability.

It’s a safety thing!

Assuming you meant non-FSD cars should have this feature.

If it improved safety and was within the capabilities of the system, my guess is Tesla would do it. As it is, the red light detection is a convenience feature, and not 100% reliable (that's why they have it stop by default at all traffic control, whether it is red or green, if there is no lead car). My car routinely dings to let me know the light is green, even though it is still red (another light at the intersection changed). So not 100%.

I don't know what the current status is of any warnings if the car thinks you are going to run a red light when not using TACC/Autosteer (I would assume any such feature would apply to all cars with appropriate hardware regardless of whether you have FSD). I know this has been discussed in the past but no idea whether this feature exists - not discussed in the Owner's Manual.

It would make sense for there to be an audible warning if the car detected you were going to run a red light - if such a feature could be implemented with few enough false positives. False positives are the biggest challenge for most features that seem like they would make sense to implement with the current perceived capabilities.

This is actually one of the biggest values of the new driver monitoring feature with the cabin camera, which hopefully will be leveraged soon. The output of that system can be used to scale the sensitivity of these sorts of safety features - if a driver is looking at their phone, with hands apparently off the wheel, it's probably completely acceptable to have a high false positive rate and some false AEB events (encourages paying attention and prevents accidents!). Whereas, if a driver is looking straight ahead with hands on wheel, heading towards a light that is going to turn red, it makes sense to NOT warn or at least not react in such a scenario (even though an accident may result). It's not going to eliminate accidents but will likely swing the balance towards safety and reducing accidents caused by inattention, while maintaining a pleasant driving experience free of nags and beeping as long as you are attentive. (All of this is with Autosteer & TACC OFF.)

Just move the sliders around!

Last edited:
I use this FSD feature all the time and I'm glad I opted to pay for it.

Green light chime is so simple and useful when I'm driving. Everyone is always distracted and we're using stop lights to mess around instead of paying attention.

It’s a safety thing!

Mine stops at red lights and stop signs fine when on AP. You have to go in to autopilot settings and enable "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)"
Sorry I haven’t been on the site for some time.
I have Enhanced AutoPilot is it able to stop at stoplights or stop signs?

Currently I’ve not been successful in getting it to work!
Am I missing some steps in the menu?

You have FSD. It is not an option for AP only cars.
That is how I read it as well.
That’s precisely my concern! FSD navigation is all around, fine by me, people paid for that functionality!
AP, EAP I don’t see the logic not allowing stoplights and stop signs capabilities! All I see is safety.
Look at what happened in China 🇨🇳 where complaints about engagement of traffic aware cruse control was too easy and deemed unsafe! I however disagree, there’s a audible sound for TACC and AP. So I’m lost to the complaint since all TESLA INC. did was add an audible sound.

My general question still, unless I’m missing something, is why not allow stoplights n signs.

Tesla demonstrates its possible the safest vehicles around, so should a moving vehicle of theirs be allowed to drive through a stoplight or sign especially when it has all the hardware to prevent it?

It’s interesting 🧐 that so many folks are uptight over a feature name? The functionality is what we all should be focusing on!

I think AutoPilot should be renamed to "Autopilot - Wikipedia".

Stopping at a red light is not a safety issue. If you don’t know to stop at a red light by now, then that’s a you problem.

Autopilot is designed for highway driving
Full Self Driving is designed for all roads.
I’ll be nice 😊. Look at my thread. Don’t be quick to make a post. I’ll break it down for you. I have enhanced autopilot, when I engage it on local roads it don’t seems to wanna stop at stop lights so I have to do so before it drive into the intersection! Please don’t respond if you don’t see the value in my inquiry!

I’ll be nice 😊. Look at my thread. Don’t be quick to make a post. I’ll break it down for you. I have enhanced autopilot, when I engage it on local roads it don’t seems to wanna stop at stop lights so I have to do so before it drive into the intersection! Please don’t respond if you don’t see the value in my inquiry!
Echo_chamber_(media) We see what you want

20210706_104430.jpg