Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of Model X. I ordered the car with auto pilot feature and paid $5000. When i drove out of the Tesla center the auto pilot features were not functional. When i asked the Center, the reply was that it will be sent as soft ware update in 4 to 7 days. No one mentioned that it would be that way when I ordered the car. Now after 21 days, I still do not have the update. the store's response is that it is the only way that the auto pilot feature will be delivered and they would not know when it will be delivered. There is no Customer relations Department to Tesla. Always all calls go to the same number and I get the same answer by different people. When I asked for supervisor, answer is " they are all busy and the answer would be the same."
Frustrated!!! any advise how to deal with this other than legal way.

I recently took delivery of Model X. I ordered the car with auto pilot feature and paid $5000. When i drove out of the Tesla center the auto pilot features were not functional. When i asked the Center, the reply was that it will be sent as soft ware update in 4 to 7 days. No one mentioned that it would be that way when I ordered the car. Now after 21 days, I still do not have the update. the store's response is that it is the only way that the auto pilot feature will be delivered and they would not know when it will be delivered. There is no Customer relations Department to Tesla. Always all calls go to the same number and I get the same answer by different people. When I asked for supervisor, answer is " they are all busy and the answer would be the same."
Frustrated!!! any advise how to deal with this other than legal way.

Pretty sure there was information on the Tesla website when you ordered indicating that all auto pilot features were not yet active on AP 2 cars.

Considering how advanced the AP2 features are going to be, how soon many of them are coming, and how long some of us had to wait for AP 1 features that were coming in "several months" and then took a year (with some features still undelivered) I really wouldn't sweat having to wait another few weeks.

Reactions: wesley888
@varanasi & @Andyw2100 I saw your post..... Autopilot is an issue but see my issue.......

So I took the delivery of a Model X a little while ago (2 weeks)

But..... no fwd collision alert, no adaptive cruise control, no steering, no autoparking. Basically a very expensive car with less technology for adaptive cruising than a nissan Leaf. In my opinion false advertisement as I demoed a car that had everything even autopilot.

When do they push these options to the cars, how do they decide to whom? any experience or timing issues?
thanks

@varanasi & @Andyw2100 I saw your post..... Autopilot is an issue but see my issue.......

So I took the delivery of a Model X a little while ago (2 weeks)

But..... no fwd collision alert, no adaptive cruise control, no steering, no autoparking. Basically a very expensive car with less technology for adaptive cruising than a nissan Leaf. In my opinion false advertisement as I demoed a car that had everything even autopilot.

When do they push these options to the cars, how do they decide to whom? any experience or timing issues?
thanks

Tesla's way of setting overly optimistic deadlines and giving unrealistic ETAs is frustrating, but at the same time, it's not really the same as a Nissan Leaf. Your Tesla actually does have the sensors on board as well as a very expensive processor that the company believes is capable of full self driving.

The ordering pages and feature descriptions did make it pretty clear that the car initially would not have many of the sensor-driven features, including automatic wipers, collision alerts, etc. Unfortunately it also included the classically misleading Tesla "December" date, which seems like it's off by a good month.

Some software updates are only given to a small randomly-selected pool for testing and data collection. Other updates are rolled out to the entire fleet, but even those arrive over the course of 5+ days with 1 peak day. This is to protect customers from update mishaps that Tesla did not foresee until the real-world fleet started applying the updates.

FWIW, the original AP HW1 was sold in much the same way but the wait was worse. Elon envisioned onramp to offramp driving, traffic light detection, etc, and the early adopters had no abilities for a while, then only adaptive cruise control for almost a year before Autosteer was first rolled out. And the first iteration of Autosteer was pretty frightening too, diving for exits and occasionally wanting to use the opposite direction of a 2-lane highway after rounding a curve. So sorry, this isn't atypical. Today, AP1 HW is the most advanced and best performing lane-keeping + adaptive cruise control system. I bet most of the folks that embarked on this 2-year-long journey do not regret it, and have looked past the period without its abilities. I hope you'll feel the same way about AP2 a year or whenever from now when you can take a nap while driving and AP1 looks like a child's toy.

P.S. The way Tesla is doing AP2 might disappoint customers in the short term, but it's a key reason why they are so far ahead of the game. Their ability to get realtime feedback from the fleet for software they push out every few weeks dramatically accelerates their development pace. For comparison, Audi's recently released automatic steering features are permanently limited to 35mph and require 2 cars in front of you to be visible by the camera. That'll be model year 2017's A4 and Q7 for the entire life of that car. Their "fleet learning" is "oh maybe we'll turn on more features in MY2018". With your Tesla you can expect a long lifespan of continuous feature improvements.

Tesla's way of setting overly optimistic deadlines and giving unrealistic ETAs is frustrating, but at the same time, it's not really the same as a Nissan Leaf. Your Tesla actually does have the sensors on board as well as a very expensive processor that the company believes is capable of full self driving.

The ordering pages and feature descriptions did make it pretty clear that the car initially would not have many of the sensor-driven features, including automatic wipers, collision alerts, etc. Unfortunately it also included the classically misleading Tesla "December" date, which seems like it's off by a good month.

Some software updates are only given to a small randomly-selected pool for testing and data collection. Other updates are rolled out to the entire fleet, but even those arrive over the course of 5+ days with 1 peak day. This is to protect customers from update mishaps that Tesla did not foresee until the real-world fleet started applying the updates.

FWIW, the original AP HW1 was sold in much the same way but the wait was worse. Elon envisioned onramp to offramp driving, traffic light detection, etc, and the early adopters had no abilities for a while, then only adaptive cruise control for almost a year before Autosteer was first rolled out. And the first iteration of Autosteer was pretty frightening too, diving for exits and occasionally wanting to use the opposite direction of a 2-lane highway after rounding a curve. So sorry, this isn't atypical. Today, AP1 HW is the most advanced and best performing lane-keeping + adaptive cruise control system. I bet most of the folks that embarked on this 2-year-long journey do not regret it, and have looked past the period without its abilities. I hope you'll feel the same way about AP2 a year or whenever from now when you can take a nap while driving and AP1 looks like a child's toy.

P.S. The way Tesla is doing AP2 might disappoint customers in the short term, but it's a key reason why they are so far ahead of the game. Their ability to get realtime feedback from the fleet for software they push out every few weeks dramatically accelerates their development pace. For comparison, Audi's recently released automatic steering features are permanently limited to 35mph and require 2 cars in front of you to be visible by the camera. That'll be model year 2017's A4 and Q7 for the entire life of that car. Their "fleet learning" is "oh maybe we'll turn on more features in MY2018". With your Tesla you can expect a long lifespan of continuous feature improvements.
My only issue is that all the equipment is great and thats exactly what I paid for. But if it doesn't work because someone has to push a signal to the car. What makes you think they wont take it away at some point? tech that can be removed at someones whim is not something that gives buyers purchase security... the rest I agree with you 100% ahead of the curve.

t
I belive website said that AP basic features would be active by the end of December, so a person who bought a car based on that, has a reason to be upset
Thanks Matias, now imagine when you call their service dept and they tell you they dont know when they will push the enhancement to YOUR car, ( which means other cars have it, but yours doesnt........)

I belive website said that AP basic features would be active by the end of December, so a person who bought a car based on that, has a reason to be upset

I could be mistaken, because I was not that interested in this, but didn't the website say that --some-- of the autopilot features may be activated by December, or something like that, and that other features would take longer?

You know that I am not normally a big defender of Tesla's missed promises, and they did miss the December date. But overall I don't think it is fair for someone who bought AP2 to say, as the OP did, "No one mentioned that it would be that way when I ordered the car." That's just not accurate.

My only issue is that all the equipment is great and thats exactly what I paid for. But if it doesn't work because someone has to push a signal to the car. What makes you think they wont take it away at some point? tech that can be removed at someones whim is not something that gives buyers purchase security... the rest I agree with you 100% ahead of the curve.

Just to be clear: the software isn't ready yet. That's why it isn't pushed to your car. Not because a guy sitting on a switch thinks you're not worthy.

Reactions: Matias
I could be mistaken, because I was not that interested in this, but didn't the website say that --some-- of the autopilot features may be activated by December, or something like that, and that other features would take longer?

You know that I am not normally a big defender of Tesla's missed promises, and they did miss the December date. But overall I don't think it is fair for someone who bought AP2 to say, as the OP did, "No one mentioned that it would be that way when I ordered the car." That's just not accurate.

Yes, it said that some features by the end of December, not all. But the problem is that to most cars none of the features are delivered yet.

But I believe that Tesla will deliver the initial features to all cars in the few following days.

Reactions: Andyw2100