Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot suddenly reduces speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gary2yuk

Jun 10, 2019
LA
Anyone else experience this -

when driving on the freeway in AutoPilot suddenly the car thinks it's on a surface street with a Max Speed of 40 so it suddenly decelerates as it reduces your Max Speed?

Happened to me twice today. First time was through a construction zone on the 5 North (forever under construction in SoCal) and then maybe 30 miles later on the same freeway. I was going >60 and then suddenly it starts braking hard.

4378-1431449369-ac7f143ad7fab7de5d86c65458fc947e.jpg
:eek:

It does happen, unfortunately.

When it happens, assuming you made it through safely, click the right button (mic) and submit "Bug Report" - maybe Tesla will correct it.

FYI word on the street is those bug reports don't ever leave the car unless you're at a service center about a specific issue.

They're basically just "bookmarks" in the log files to note "Hey something happened here you might want to reference when the car is in for service"

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
FYI word on the street is those bug reports don't ever leave the car unless you're at a service center about a specific issue.

They're basically just "bookmarks" in the log files to note "Hey something happened here you might want to reference when the car is in for service"

Far be it from me to disagree with words read on the street but I’m skeptical. We’re actively discouraged from visiting service centers yet Tesla is constantly innovating. The advantage of OTA works both ways and they gain a great deal by pulling data back to the hub as often as possible.

We know they are grabbing footage and telemetrics for AP/FSD improvements so there’s no doubt in my mind that they are doing the same for a myriad of other software and hardware triggers.

Far be it from me to disagree with words read on the street but I’m skeptical

Well, it's what numerous owners have been directly told by service centers when they've had their cars in and asked about it... including one guy being shown what/how they actually use it at the SC to "find" the log files from when whatever issue you're int here for happened easily but only by downloading it locally from the car.

We know they are grabbing footage and telemetrics for AP/FSD improvements so there’s no doubt in my mind that they are doing the same for a myriad of other software and hardware triggers.

Think about the amount of manpower it'd take to go through hundreds of thousands of verbal bug reports a year from a fleet that'll be approaching a million cars by end of this year and growing another half million a year or more after that.

Versus just having those logs sit on the car until a real problem needs addressing on that specific car and they use that to find the relevant logs.

Well, it's what numerous owners have been directly told by service centers when they've had their cars in and asked about it... including one guy being shown what/how they actually use it at the SC to "find" the log files from when whatever issue you're int here for happened easily but only by downloading it locally from the car.

Think about the amount of manpower it'd take to go through hundreds of thousands of verbal bug reports a year from a fleet that'll be approaching a million cars by end of this year and growing another half million a year or more after that.

Versus just having those logs sit on the car until a real problem needs addressing on that specific car and they use that to find the relevant logs.

Have you watched the Autonomous Day presentation? Manpower’s how it starts but they teach the network to identify and sort. Actually, keyword triggers have been around for ages so parsing bug reports would be even less intensive and, more than likely, they only dig in when reports match something they’re already working on or there’s a critical mass.

As for what you’ve heard from other owners or even from the SC employees, take it with a grain of salt. Tesla doesn’t just have issues communicating with customers, they have internal communication gaps which leave people coming up with authoritative guesses. Just because they direct download saved logs at the SC doesn’t mean those logs aren’t also being uploaded to the network for HQ developers to use in what we all know is one of the most rapid update turnaround cycles ever seen in the automotive industry (pretty fast for the software industry).

Reactions: McQ14
This kept happening to me and I figured out it’s one of 3 reasons:

1 - the person 2 cars ahead is decelerating quickly and car ahead isn’t, car starts braking (noticed this couple times)

2 - It thinks a person in front in the lane next to you will merge onto your lane, so it slows down but they aren’t trying to merge. I noticed this is frequent with terrible drivers that ping pong across the lane and sometimes cross the line w/o a signal.

3 - Tunnels/Random