Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, what do I have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a 2019 MODEL 3 AWD from a 3rd party dealer(less than informed about Teslas) previous owner says he purchased Acceleration Boost in Dec 2019 and FSD upgrade in Jan 2020. Tried confirming this with Tesla prior to purchase, they would offer no information. After purchase only Autosteer and Traffic light visualization are displayed on autopilot page. Acceleration Boost does appear to be active. My account page does show both upgrades purchased, Tesla says FSD was not purchased and car only has HW3. Would the pics give insight into what I actually have?

*If* that 3rd party dealer purchased the vehicle from Tesla they may have removed it while they were the owner of the vehicle and then charged that 3rd party dealer a price appropriate for a vehicle w/o FSD. Then your 3rd party dealer played dumb. In this case, Tesla's poor recordkeeping and internal processes still have it showing despite it never being paid for (that is, they charged the 3rd party dealer a price that was based on its removal). Remember, if they ever own the vehicle again, they can do whatever they want to in order to make it easier for them to sell, and if that includes removing FSD, they are free to do that.

If Tesla never owned the vehicle, they wouldn't have intentionally removed the FSD feature, and you're stuck in a mess again created by their awful internal record-keeping and processes.

Neither of these situations is great to be in, but whichever applies is going to determine if you're going to have to eventually buy that feature if you want it. If it's the first situation, you're not going to get them to give it to you. The previous owner bought FSD, sold the car back to Tesla, and they removed the license and sold it to a dealer at a price that doesn't include the license (if the dealer then charged you a price that includes the license cost, take it up with the dealer). If it's the second one, don't let up until they fix it. They can't remove the features unless they actually owned the car at some point after the first owner.

Last edited:
*If* that 3rd party dealer purchased the vehicle from Tesla they may have removed it while they were the owner of the vehicle and then charged that 3rd party dealer a price appropriate for a vehicle w/o FSD. Then your 3rd party dealer played dumb. In this case, Tesla's poor recordkeeping and internal processes still have it showing despite it never being paid for (that is, they charged the 3rd party dealer a price that was based on its removal). Remember, if they ever own the vehicle again, they can do whatever they want to in order to make it easier for them to sell, and if that includes removing FSD, they are free to do that.

If Tesla never owned the vehicle, they wouldn't have intentionally removed the FSD feature, and you're stuck in a mess again created by their awful internal record-keeping and processes.

Neither of these situations is great to be in, but whichever applies is going to determine if you're going to have to eventually buy that feature if you want it. If it's the first situation, you're not going to get them to give it to you. The previous owner bought FSD, sold the car back to Tesla, and they removed the license and sold it to a dealer at a price that doesn't include the license (if the dealer then charged you a price that includes the license cost, take it up with the dealer). If it's the second one, don't let up until they fix it. They can't remove the features unless they actually owned the car at some point after the first owner.
Good point. Find out if your 3rd party dealership bought the car from Tesla or bought the car from the original owner. If they bought the car from the first owner or took it in as a trade, then the FSD feature should not have been removed, it should stay with the car, unless it is bought back by Tesla and repurposed and then sold at a lesser price.

So I was able to attain the PAID INVOICE from the original owner for the purchases FSD Capability . Even with the original paid invoice, paid FSD showing on my account, Tesla seems less than impressed and still thinks it wasn't paid for, not sure what else to do..... Lawyer? Very Frustrated

Image 8-9-20 at 12.09 PM.JPG
IMG_2785.jpg

Last edited:
Good point. Find out if your 3rd party dealership bought the car from Tesla or bought the car from the original owner. If they bought the car from the first owner or took it in as a trade, then the FSD feature should not have been removed, it should stay with the car, unless it is bought back by Tesla and repurposed and then sold at a lesser price.
Dealer claims the vehicle was a direct trade to them.....

Occar's post # 25 is the controlling issue. If Tesla ever owned it after the FSD invoice date(s) they could remove the FSD

Your post and #25 made me go back and read the original post:

"previous owner says he purchased Acceleration Boost in Dec 2019 and FSD upgrade in Jan 2020."

Did the dealership actually sell it to you as including FSD, or was that something you discovered after the fact. If that latter, then you really do not have a claim to FSD.

Your post and #25 made me go back and read the original post:

"previous owner says he purchased Acceleration Boost in Dec 2019 and FSD upgrade in Jan 2020."

Did the dealership actually sell it to you as including FSD, or was that something you discovered after the fact. If that latter, then you really do not have a claim to FSD.

As long as Tesla never owned the vehicle after the first owner, that is immaterial. The licenses are transferable. Only when Tesla owns the vehicle can they remove the license (and then resell cheaper).

I guess i better keep an eye out now. I just purchased a Model 3 and the 3rd party dealer said there was no FSD, so i wasn't expecting it.
Well...after road test and looking in the settings mentioned in this thread...I have FSD

I guess i better keep an eye out now. I just purchased a Model 3 and the 3rd party dealer said there was no FSD, so i wasn't expecting it.
Well...after road test and looking in the settings mentioned in this thread...I have FSD

Thats completely different than this OPs thread, and you should expect that to be removed at some point.

Thats completely different than this OPs thread, and you should expect that to be removed at some point.
Ah, I think that directly applies to what the OP has posted:
  • @good1973 purchased used vehicle from 3rd party (i.e., not directly from Tesla)
  • irregardless of the fact that the 3rd party dealer said this car was without FSD, @good1973 says it does (by checking menus)
  • we must therefore assume that FSD was purchased sometime beforehand
  • then, the car will retain FSD as long as the car was not in the hands of Tesla between the time it was sold from the original owner and when the 3rd party dealer got a hold of it
  • @good1973 needs to verify the chain of ownership

That just seems like highway robbery. You leave the car lot with a particular accessory and they snatch it away.
This accessory is unique because unlike a typical accessory, it can't be removed unless they physically have access to the car.
In this case it can be removed remotely. That seems so unfair. I purchased my car with what it had when i drove off the lot.