Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot will be mature when it can handle [this]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac_Bridge.JPG

Multiple surfaces, varying speed limits based on wind speed, narrow lanes with guardrail close to outside edge.

The 110 freeway from downtown L.A. to Pasadena. Narrow 3 lane quasi freeway built in the 1940's.

AP1 failed miserably when I tried it about 2 years ago. Would love to see someone's dashcam of AP2 driving that street. Some very tight curves.

RT

“Driving on metal grate, with the river shining through below”

This made me think of my high school son’s recent rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon (from north rim, down to bottom, then climb out to south rim). There are two bridges at the bottom that cross the Colorado River. One has a similar metal mesh “see through” grate and the other has a wooden bottom. The donkeys that travel in and out of the canyon will only use the solid bottom wood bridge!

oh where do I begin??

stoplights, stopsigns, pedestrian crossings, winding roads on the coast, unmarked roads, snow covered roads, unexpected oncoming or blocking traffic, lack of mapping...not something I think AP1 will ever be able to accomplish, but perhaps AP2 sometime in the distant future. I am certain AP2 isn't even in parity with AP1 yet.

Reactions: NerdUno
oh where do I begin??

stoplights, stopsigns, pedestrian crossings, winding roads on the coast, unmarked roads, snow covered roads, unexpected oncoming or blocking traffic, lack of mapping...not something I think AP1 will ever be able to accomplish, but perhaps AP2 sometime in the distant future. I am certain AP2 isn't even in parity with AP1 yet.
I'll add any 4-way stop under "stop signs". People have either very short attention span, cannot count to 3 or never played "spot the difference" games.

That is one scary looking traverse, @bonnie. Admire your steady hand!