Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer beta available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it suggests using it where appropriate I.e. motorways
So the "update" which appeared unannounced in the lower left area of the screen simply changes the warning? I have refused the latest OTA updates, as I like my auto closing windows feature. Yeah, I know, it will eventually happen, but...

(I even got an OFFICIAL recall notice in the mail urging me to allow the update which would "adjust the window closing force" or some nonsense. I'm 76, and believe everyone needs to get a finger caught in a door or window, get a splinter, touch a hot stove, or trip on the sidewalk at least once. Tends to make you be more careful and observant for the rest of your life). But I digress...

I seldom use TACC except to keep me in lane while I am fishing in a pocket or looking for something on the screen with the *&*)&%^%$!!!*** tiny fonts, grey on white text and the "now where the HELL is that control?" syndrome...

TACC as it stands now works well as a Cruise Control and tolerably well as a lanekeeper, although it takes curves a tad too close to the centerline, IMHO. Now if it updated to have a "Avoid Traffic Circles" in the Navigation, I would give it a try.

So the "update" which appeared unannounced in the lower left area of the screen simply changes the warning? I have refused the latest OTA updates, as I like my auto closing windows feature. Yeah, I know, it will eventually happen, but...

(I even got an OFFICIAL recall notice in the mail urging me to allow the update which would "adjust the window closing force" or some nonsense. I'm 76, and believe everyone needs to get a finger caught in a door or window, get a splinter, touch a hot stove, or trip on the sidewalk at least once. Tends to make you be more careful and observant for the rest of your life). But I digress...

I seldom use TACC except to keep me in lane while I am fishing in a pocket or looking for something on the screen with the *&*)&%^%$!!!*** tiny fonts, grey on white text and the "now where the HELL is that control?" syndrome...

TACC as it stands now works well as a Cruise Control and tolerably well as a lanekeeper, although it takes curves a tad too close to the centerline, IMHO. Now if it updated to have a "Avoid Traffic Circles" in the Navigation, I would give it a try.
Huh? You mean roundabouts? Being UK part of the forum 😜

TACC doesn't keep you in lane - Autosteer does. May explain your experience with curves :)
Odd. For three years I have been using the standard equipment TACC in three different Model 3s, and it keeps my car in the lane, curves or not. It does not change lanes, and if I do change lanes it disconnects. Of course, i is dependent on good lane markings and clement weather.
Obviously I do not have FSD.

Last edited:
Actually, I meant traffic circles. I was not aware I was in a foreign forum. I am aware Brits and elsewhere call those infernal things "roundabouts". I believe in Mexico they are called "Glorietas", but that was years ago when I heard that.
Yup, this is the UK forum so you are Johnny Foreigner here 😉

Must admit that it is hilarious coming across “traffic circles” in North America (Canada included here) and seeing the sheer panic on some drivers faces. They are actually very easy when you get used to them and can keep the traffic flowing faster if designed appropriately.

Actually, I meant traffic circles. I was not aware I was in a foreign forum. I am aware Brits and elsewhere call those infernal things "roundabouts". I believe in Mexico they are called "Glorietas", but that was years ago when I heard that.
Roundabout > stop sign > Traffic circle

Traffic Circles are indeed terrible with the priority given to the joining traffic!

Reactions: drdumont
Odd. For three years I have been using the standard equipment TACC in three different Model 3s, and it keeps my car in the lane, curves or not. It does not change lanes, and if I do change lanes it disconnects. Of course, i is dependent on good lane markings and clement weather.
Obviously I do not have FSD.

Just a matter of terminology. TACC is just the cruise control part speeding up and slowing down according to set speed and car in front. Can be enabled all by itself with a single downward prod of the stalk. Autosteer is the part that does the lane keeping, enabled with two downward prods of the stalk. When Autosteer is enabled, TACC is also enabled. Autosteer and TACC are the standard Autopilot features all vehicles get. Buy EAP or FSD and you get more Autopilot features. So these years, sounds like you've been using Autosteer and TACC together.

Roundabout > stop sign > Traffic circle

Traffic Circles are indeed terrible with the priority given to the joining traffic!
Interesting, have just educated myself on traffic circles after your comment. I had assumed (from what I had seen in some rarefied parts of North America) that they were always identical to roundabouts. Clearly not and sounds like some with stop signs are a bit of a nightmare! Every day a lesson.

Reactions: drdumont
Just a matter of terminology. TACC is just the cruise control part speeding up and slowing down according to set speed and car in front. Can be enabled all by itself with a single downward prod of the stalk. Autosteer is the part that does the lane keeping, enabled with two downward prods of the stalk. When Autosteer is enabled, TACC is also enabled. Autosteer and TACC are the standard Autopilot features all vehicles get. Buy EAP or FSD and you get more Autopilot features. So these years, sounds like you've been using Autosteer and TACC together.
I use the 1 click (cruise control) quite a lot. The Autosteer (2nd click ) much less frequently. The point of my post was to wonder why it was being announced as some new super whizbang function when it had been included on all my Model 3s for the last three years.

I don't have FSD and likely never will. I really never considered the TACC and Autosteer as being two different items, just two levels of control.