Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer defeat device warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a new Autosteer defeat device warning. I currently use autosteer frequently and DO NOT use a defeat device.. However, my car "detects" a defeat device even though my hands are on the steering wheel. Autosteer is then disabled which is very frustrating. I have many beta strikes because of this. Not that I care to get FSD back since it nearly killed me. I do want to have an uninterupted autosteer trip. Anyone else experiencing this oversensitive detection?

Really frustrating, like having cruise control that requires you to keep your foot on the throttle. Would have been nice if they applied the engineering they put into that defeat detection into making autopilot and FSD safe to use without a nanny!
All of this inconvenience multiplied across millions of drivers just so when the first accident happens, Tesla can say “well we forced them to pay attention SEE SEE”

• Love
Reactions: MTOman
Drove to work today and deliberately jiggled the wheel every so often. Hands on at all times. Not often enough apparently as the Red light telling me autosteer is inactive for the remainder of the trip due to defeat device. No warning. The trigger must be steady torque as I have no cabin camera. The problem is if I am driving perfectly straight for an hour I am not going to be applying variable torque at all times. So the bottom line is I paid for FSD and don't have it nor do I have functional autosteer.

• Love
Reactions: Hank42 and MTOman
Drove to work today and deliberately jiggled the wheel every so often. Hands on at all times. Not often enough apparently as the Red light telling me autosteer is inactive for the remainder of the trip due to defeat device. No warning. The trigger must be steady torque as I have no cabin camera. The problem is if I am driving perfectly straight for an hour I am not going to be applying variable torque at all times. So the bottom line is I paid for FSD and don't have it nor do I have functional autosteer.

Prior firmware without the defeat device warning, you could press any button on the steering wheel or stalks(if your car has them) and that would be enough to stop the nags.

Does that still work?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have a 17 S and a 23 Y both have FSD beta. My S does not have a camera inside. I’ve driven both my Y and S on long road trips this year and on one trip I got 4 strikes in my Y and 2 strikes in my S. It’s really frustrating. I didn’t know what a defeat device was until I started receiving this error. My hands were always on the wheel, more or less on 8 and 4 engaging with a slight tug.

Now I’m afraid to use the feature being in danger of losing it. FSD has been a huge disappointment. Paying for something that is still “beta” that falls well below what was promised. I’ve always enjoyed enhanced autopilot but this error is making Tesla features I once enjoyed unusable and a terrible disruption on a long drive. I hope something is done about this in the next update.

Prior firmware without the defeat device warning, you could press any button on the steering wheel or stalks(if your car has them) and that would be enough to stop the nags.

Does that still work?
Yes it does. Oddly enough, it is much the same as the Alerter in railroad engines nowadays. Once it begins to bark at you, either pressing the cancel button, capacitive touch plate (or pedal if equipped), doing anything from changing the power setting, brakes, turn on the wipers, anyting that indicates you are sentient and the alerter goes back to sleep. Even using one of the screen buttons works.

After awhile, you become so inured to the alerter's timing, you just automatically reset it periodically without thinking.

I don't have BSFSD in my Teslas, and simply hanging a hand on the wheel seems to satisfy it. I have had no false alarms.

And finally, Darwin Award Candidates who use devices to thwart the system deserve an attitude adjustment deftly administered to the scrotum, using a Reverser handle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak