Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our thoughts on FSD Beta now detecting Autopilot cheat devices | TMC Podcast Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FSD Beta V10.69.3.1 can sense the use of defeat devices that some owners were employing in order to avoid having to keep their hands on the steering wheel. We ask how it is doing this.

This is a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #27. The full podcast video is available here: https://youtu.be/LtDViqsiAMc

FSD Beta V10.69.3.1 can sense the use of defeat devices that some owners were employing in order to avoid having to keep their hands on the steering wheel. We ask how it is doing this.

This is a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #27. The full podcast video is available here: https://youtu.be/LtDViqsiAMc
According to a video posted by @greentheonly, the steering wheel is out of the cabin camera's field of vision. So I'm going with the constant torque theory.

Soon there will be pendulums in the defeat devices.

Or you could just… you know … keep your hand on the wheel.
I can understand why people would get a defeat device, especially for long trips. The nagging gets old and keeping your hand on the steering wheel doesn’t always work well, especially on long, straight stretches. I’ve also been the victim of 2 or 3 unprovoked strikes and after the last one I strongly considered getting a weight.

Like one of the hosts, I’ve notice that the latest version seems to nag far less so maybe they’re actually using the camera to detect and reward paying attention rather than simply punishing not paying attention. Either way, I’m hoping that V11 will just do away with the strikes completely.

According to a video posted by @greentheonly, the steering wheel is out of the cabin camera's field of vision. So I'm going with the constant torque theory.
The wheel is definitely out of the field of view. Though I got an instant strike (no waring) when both my hands could be seen by the camera.

Like one of the hosts, I’ve notice that the latest version seems to nag far less so maybe they’re actually using the camera to detect and reward paying attention rather than simply punishing not paying attention. Either way, I’m hoping that V11 will just do away with the strikes completely.

Yes, I continue to notice this. I’ve been experimenting with not torquing the wheel at all and nags are quite infrequent now. And easy to dismiss. Kind of annoying to have to look for the initial warning on the bottom of the screen as you say. They should put that warning on the top of the screen like the blue flashing. And maybe just have it flash first in a more discreet way, then flash over a larger area or whatever. That way can have more discreet dismissal of nags.

But hopefully they go away entirely at some point of course (see below).

I’ll have to do a better job of counting (do have video), but I think I got maybe 4-5 nags in 22 minutes with my hands on the wheel, intentionally providing zero torque.

Though I got an instant strike (no waring) when both my hands could be seen by the camera.

That’s great. Hopefully Tesla will continue to work on recognizing the posture when hands are on the wheel and reward that with zero nags.

It seems really close to that no nag condition right now (I have not experimented with hands in lap visible to camera). But not close enough!

Reactions: Ramphex
I can understand why people would get a defeat device, especially for long trips. The nagging gets old and keeping your hand on the steering wheel doesn’t always work well, especially on long, straight stretches. I’ve also been the victim of 2 or 3 unprovoked strikes and after the last one I strongly considered getting a weight.

I drive 150-350 miles a day. 6-8 hours a day. My weight works perfectly still. Never gotten a strike. But I also don’t have a problem tapping the wheel every now and then.

Reactions: dramsey
I recently got FSD beta on the recent update. I was using it today and my steering wheel gave me a warning that I was using an autopilot antidefeat device. I just recently got this car and have never owned or plan on using one of these devices. I think maybe its too sensitive because if it does it 3-4 more additional times I get kicked out of FSD, which is not fair since I never used one of the devices to begin with. That would be wrong because they are kicking me out of something for which I paid extra for.

I will add that I use a combination of applying wheel torque and just pressing the autopilot stock whenever I get the flashing blue lights to keep my hands on the steering wheel. When the message popped up there were no flashing blue lights or warning to put my hands on steering wheel.

Anyone else have this happen?

I’m on a trip with my wife, and over the last few days I’m getting nags I thought were the usual, wheel torque warnings. But it’s saying something about a defeat device, which I don’t have. It actually disengaged and discontinued autopilot “for the rest of the trip” 3 times in one day. I’ll have to make a service appointment.
What software version are you on? Curious as to whether they've updated this with the 44.25 update

Reactions: Ramphex
I’m on a trip with my wife, and over the last few days I’m getting nags I thought were the usual, wheel torque warnings. But it’s saying something about a defeat device, which I don’t have. It actually disengaged and discontinued autopilot “for the rest of the trip” 3 times in one day. I’ll have to make a service appointment.
Welcome to 3/5 strike club lol, mine didn't reset with the update either.

that sounds reasonable - then I remember the <unprintable> (to be clear not you) who though it was perfectly reasonable to peer out of any window except the windshield for 30 seconds at a time and call that "paying attention" - then say the received strikes were "unreasonable"

I think if you touch the wheel at all you’d be fine. If not, it cannot be explained.
I keep one hand on the steering yoke, left side, and still get non-stop nags which require me to put even more force onto the left side of the yoke to satisfy them. I tried to take a video of it by putting a phone onto my chest, but that yielded into a no-warning strike for me LOL. I have video proof if you haven't seen it in the other thread.