Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer put me in the penalty box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Andy my only point was one of NHTSA being a safety first kind of agency. I agree with you that it is excessive to require you to put the car in park before proceeding on autosteer again.

In surgery I have to mark the side (left or right) and do a time out because orthopedists ( politically incorrect I know but mine voted for Trump so that I could say politically incorrect things) still do in spite of this operate on the wrong side.

Andy my only point was one of NHTSA being a safety first kind of agency. I agree with you that it is excessive to require you to put the car in park before proceeding on autosteer again.

And my point was just that the NHTSA hadn't written or implied anything about the "penalty box" as it applied to what we're discussing in this thread. I certainly have no argument with your point that the NHTSA is a safety first kind of agency!

This software behavior (AP lockout after exceeding 90 MPH with AP engaged) is designed to force the driver to manually disengage AP prior to exceeding 90 MPH in order to avoid the AP lockout.

Bingo !

Now if you don't want yourself to be put in the penalty box. - disengage AP, drive to 150mph, crash into a tree, or if you don't manage to do that, engage AP after you get below 90. Simple.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Just FYI, this feature remains in 2018.50. Today driving @ 75, I needed to get around someone quickly. Auto-pilot was engaged. Hit the electron pedal, both hands with a firm grip on the steering wheel. But AP did a good job of steering so it didn't disengage. Until I hit 90 - then I'm in the penalty box.

They really need to let you out of the box when resuming normal speeds. Elon - can you fix this?