Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer - turned into curb on first corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you are right. I have not done a real study of this and haven't asked anyone at the factory. I have noticed in MY CAR that autosteer on a curvy road does not adjust the speed downward on tight curves, but auto pilot did when necessary. Now you have me curious so I am going to ask about that next time out at the factory.

I think this is a bit muddled. "Autopilot" is an umbrella term to refer to a package of several car features, including TACC and autosteer. "FSD" (full self-driving) is also a package that adds additional features to Autopilot, including NOA and auto park. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say autosteer did not do something but autopilot did.

Bro you know no one reads the manual

Please don't drive anywhere near me then. Seriously, not reading a manual for your phone is fine, but not reading up on how a brand-new, beta system to self-steer a 4000lb car at high speeds works is borderline irresponsible. People have been killed for thinking the car can do more than it was designed to do.

The problem is you can read the manual today and it can be updated tomorrow. And unless you receive notification that there was an update to the manual how would you know?
There is a version number on the front page of the manual. Current version is 2020.4. Better to read what is available today vs. not reading it at all. At least you'll have a base understanding of the function and features vs just figuring it out by trial and error. Check the manual link once a month and check to see if the version changes. Mostly, changes revolve around adding new features and functions, so most of the previous stuff should remain unchanged, unless something was previously inaccurate. They don't provide a change log, so you'll have to scan to try to find new info.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I just found this in the manual as well...

View attachment 550442

View attachment 550443

I bought my M3 used so never saw these messages or went through this process. Not sure how many miles the OP's car had on it at the time this happened, but maybe it is a factor?

No, not the issue. Autosteer will not engage until this calibration is done.

There is a version number on the front page of the manual. Current version is 2020.4. Better to read what is available today vs. not reading it at all. At least you'll have a base understanding of the function and features vs just figuring it out by trial and error. Check the manual link once a month and check to see if the version changes. Mostly, changes revolve around adding new features and functions, so most of the previous stuff should remain unchanged, unless something was previously inaccurate. They don't provide a change log, so you'll have to scan to try to find new info.

Ive read it, thank you. You agreed me in a very internet sort of way. They should tell us when something gets changed in the manual. No one has time to scan an owners manual to guess what changed. How often should I be doing this scanning by the way?

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer
Ive read it, thank you. You agreed me in a very internet sort of way. They should tell us when something gets changed in the manual.

They kinda do.

Things only really change for 2 reasons:

1) Hardware updates on newer cars. So you wouldn't care since your car doesn't have it.

2) Software updates- and they do tell you what changed in the release notes each time and then (if relevant) also update the owners manual for whatever the added thing is. If the explanation of a feature is very long (I think there's been 1 or 2 such) then those release notes specifically tell you to check the current manual for more details on it.

I think this is a bit muddled. "Autopilot" is an umbrella term to refer to a package of several car features, including TACC and autosteer. "FSD" (full self-driving) is also a package that adds additional features to Autopilot, including NOA and auto park. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say autosteer did not do something but autopilot did.
yes agree mostly. What I meant was when I click the column once for auto steer, I'm seeing a different effect than if I double-click and not sure why. I've made that same route several times trying both.

yes agree mostly. What I meant was when I click the column once for auto steer, I'm seeing a different effect than if I double-click and not sure why. I've made that same route several times trying both.

Once is TACC. No steering involved.

Twice is AP (which is TACC plus Autosteer at least, potentially stuff like Nav-on-AP if you have it and it's enabled and you're under the right conditions for it to be on)

then I am just weird. I always read manuals, so guess I am no one :D

I did an educational personality test as part of one of my technical skills courses, One question was "if you buy something new, how likely are you to read the manual?"

They didn't have an option for "I read the full manual for every single thing I'm considering buying to help me decide what to buy...."

I see a number of comments telling me I should have had my hands on the wheel - I did. When the car decided to deviate from the easy left hand turn it was doing to suddenly over steer into the bend I was able to grab it, but the car was only ~1ft away from the curb when turning and with the sudden sharp turn I was unable to react before it clipped the curb - it basically tried to shave around 2-3ft off the apex and would have been on the path if I had not grabbed it.

The road is an A-class road in the UK and has clear white lines down the middle and the corner is ~20 -30 degrees.