Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average waiting time from order to delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in hindsight yes... not that Tesla ever thought or said it would impact on delivery (I asked at the time). Only now are they saying the 19s could maybe be reason why... as these have since been removed as an option for SR+ in configurator.

Don't say that to the M3P Blue orders ...
I probably best not that if I had picked it up on the first reservation (Monday 30th), it would have been less than 3 weeks from order to delivery. I was starting to get a bit nervous that I was being given some kind of reject car that the sales staff had been running around in all week but I picked it up on Saturday, it has no defects (that I could see anyway....) and only had just over 20miles on the clock. Needless to say, very happy !!!

Can someone explain why would there be inventory, when there are people waiting?
Mostly due to cancellations - someone who ordered a car in April, for example, and then cancelled their car in July, would mean their car might have already been here (or on the way), and is now no longer assigned to someone. And if they can't find someone in the waiting list who matches that spec it goes into inventory.

Crazy frustrating seeing cars come and go on inventory when we've been waiting months...but such is life.

Last edited:
Order M3 Performance Blue/Black last week in June. At time of order had to order performance pack, but think its included now. Still waiting. Once a month I get an update saying its going to be delivered the following month, which is somewhat frustrating.
Darren.

Mostly due to cancellations - someone who ordered a car in April, for example, and then cancelled their car in July, would mean their car might have already been here (or on the way), and is now no longer assigned to someone. And if they can't find someone in the waiting list who matches that spec it goes into inventory.

Crazy frustrating seeing cars come and go on inventory when we've been waiting months...but such is life.
I just find that hard to believe, that there's no one waiting for the same spec.

I just find that hard to believe, that there's no one waiting for the same spec.

It mostly seems to be P- (base performance?) models that appear in the inventory, which you can't place a new order for any more. So, a few people must've cancelled their orders during/after they were shipped across, but no new orders would match them because none would be exactly the same.

That said, toward end of quarter Tesla were contacting people with outstanding LRAWD orders to ask if they'd take a P- with the same colours instead at the same price. This only seems to have happened in a few cases though - I heard nothing and then the P- version of the exact spec I wanted appeared in the inventory at the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
Hi guys,

I can buy a Model 3 in January 2020, but l am trying to order it now because the waiting time for the delivery seems at least minimum two months. But, what would happen if I order it now and the delivery is available before January? Can I ask Tesla to hold my delivery till January, or they will put me the end of the queue?

Hi guys,

I can buy a Model 3 in January 2020, but l am trying to order it now because the waiting time for the delivery seems at least minimum two months. But, what would happen if I order it now and the delivery is available before January? Can I ask Tesla to hold my delivery till January, or they will put me the end of the queue?
Given how shambolic everything is with Tesla deliveries, I very much doubt it! What I would do is start looking at the inventory page a month or so before you are ready, those are usually delivered much quicker.

Given how shambolic everything is with Tesla deliveries, I very much doubt it! What I would do is start looking at the inventory page a month or so before you are ready, those are usually delivered much quicker.

Ah, thanks. The problem with an inventory car is that I may not have enough time to prepare insurance and EV charger installation before the car is delivered...
I guess then I should order it now and look for an inventory car in case my delivery is being abnormally delayed...?

There's nothing stopping you from ordering the EV charger right now -- you don't have to own an EV. And as far as insurance goes, I spoke to my insurance company (LV) yesterday, and in less than 10 minutes it was all agreed -- I haven't got the TM3 yet, but they know it's coming, and all I have to do is ring up to give them the registration number and report the old car as sold when I sell it.

There's nothing stopping you from ordering the EV charger right now -- you don't have to own an EV. And as far as insurance goes, I spoke to my insurance company (LV) yesterday, and in less than 10 minutes it was all agreed -- I haven't got the TM3 yet, but they know it's coming, and all I have to do is ring up to give them the registration number and report the old car as sold when I sell it.

Oh, thanks for the information. I thought we need a proof of ev car purchase to apply for the OLEV grant, but I may be wrong.

if you order a car that is common, no tow bar 19" wheels etc. I would say up to 2 months max as a guess now.

Yes, I will order an M3 without tow bar and 19". Thanks for the information.

Oh, thanks for the information. I thought we need a proof of ev car purchase to apply for the OLEV grant, but I may be wrong.

You need proof of order or ownership, yes. From my enquiry in to a Rolec:

Requirements to be able to qualify:
• You own or lease an electric/hybrid (Plug in) vehicle. If leasing, the terms need to be at least 6
months.
• Your installation address matches the address on your proof of ownership (Your home
address)
• You have dedicated private off-street parking.
• Your plug-in vehicle was purchased after the 1st October 2016.
• You have not already claimed the grant for your vehicle.
• You are not exceeding two Charge points per household

For us to claim your OLEV Grant, we require proof of ownership for your electric vehicle (Examples below), your MPAN number which can be found on your electric bill and a form to be completed online on the day of installation.
Proof of ownership documents that are accepted by OLEV:
• Lease agreement, invoice, V5, company letter (Template required) or an order confirmation.

Last edited: