Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avoiding chunking/tire damage while tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's some more PS4S to add to the casualty list. Looks like I need to add new wheels and tires to the list before the next track day. Glad I found this thread, was thinking this might be a fluke and I'd try them again next time, but it sounds like this is pretty common.

IMG_20190518_190636.jpg
IMG_20190518_190810.jpg

Here's some more PS4S to add to the casualty list. Looks like I need to add new wheels and tires to the list before the next track day. Glad I found this thread, was thinking this might be a fluke and I'd try them again next time, but it sounds like this is pretty common.

View attachment 410563 View attachment 410564

Wow. Yours are... quite a bit worse than mine were lol

My RE71Rs stood up to at least two weekends of AX so far. But I think a lot of the outside shoulder wear wont go away until I can get more negative camber which requires suspension upgrades

Reactions: destructure00
When you see tires like that you know you are having fun!
Camber will help but the weight of the car will chew tires. The 3 is not a lightweight.
I'd run a dedicated set of tires/wheels for the track.

Even on my dedicated set I'm getting pretty bad shoulder wear compared to center wear and inner shoulder. That's a big sign of too much heat and not enough camber

View attachment 410563 View attachment 410564

You probably don't need that part of the tire anyway. It can be a commuting tire. ;)

Seriously...glad I only tried my PS4S on autocross when it was wet & cold.

You probably don't need that part of the tire anyway. It can be a commuting tire. ;)

Discount had to order replacements...I've been commuting on these for 3 days now.

Hopefully can get them replaced tomorrow. Between tires and brakes, Saturday's track day is going to cost me a fortune :D I mean, why just buy replacement stock front pads when I can get a full set of aftermarkets with rotors, replace 2 PS4S, and get a set of track wheels and tires?

Reactions: dfwatt
RE71Rs finally gave in!

About 70 AX laps total. This damage was during a BMW event at higher speed and more laps than normal. Hoping to hit 100 laps on the next set

View attachment 452462
I was there too! In my Exocet. I did 23 laps and wore out my entire body. I’m running Hankook R-S4 and they seem super durable. I’ve got about 60 laps on them and they look fine but my car weighs less than half as much.

I was there too! In my Exocet. I did 23 laps and wore out my entire body. I’m running Hankook R-S4 and they seem super durable. I’ve got about 60 laps on them and they look fine but my car weighs less than half as much.

Fastest I was able to do was around a 96.5. Was a pretty clean run for that one. Didn't realize you were running in one of the roll cage cars should have said hi! I was the MSM Tesla with red wheels. Both me and the other red tesla ended up chunking the tires!

RE71Rs finally gave in!

About 70 AX laps total. This damage was during a BMW event at higher speed and more laps than normal. Hoping to hit 100 laps on the next set

View attachment 452462

Did you have the tires flipped at any point? If you got 70 runs out of them then I should have nothing to worry about making it through a season with 8 events of 4-6 runs on 30-40 second courses. Good to know.

Did you have the tires flipped at any point? If you got 70 runs out of them then I should have nothing to worry about making it through a season with 8 events of 4-6 runs on 30-40 second courses. Good to know.

Yes I had them flipped about half way through. Was 100% necessary with how asymmetrically the center rib and outside shoulder was wearing

Fastest I was able to do was around a 96.5. Was a pretty clean run for that one. Didn't realize you were running in one of the roll cage cars should have said hi! I was the MSM Tesla with red wheels. Both me and the other red tesla ended up chunking the tires!
I ran an 89.3. The Exocet is a cheat mode :D
The BMW club practice days are definitely a tire killer.
2B0A5192-C92F-4B5D-9B90-477D244378F7.jpeg

Reactions: beastmode13
How do you like the Exocet?? My wife and I were discussing building one a couple years ago, then baby happened. How difficult was the construction?

At some point I'm thinking I'd love to build something like that, or just get me and my kids into karting :)
I didn't find it too hard to build but I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's pretty terrifying to drive on the street and not all that comfortable either with the wind, the stiff engine/diff mounts and the loud exhaust. It's super fun for autocross but not at all competitive in its class (I can get often get the fastest time of day though since there isn't much in its class). It's not really an optimal design since it's so front heavy. It would be fun to do a build with a Honda K series motor and do some custom stuff to get the weight distribution more balanced but that would be way more work. The best part about kit cars is that they're smog exempt in California so you can play around with motor tuning. I'm thinking about installing a turbo on it :D