Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know that. My current car is a 2012 Prius Plugin Advanced and when this house was built I had the garage prewired with a 220 line for a Level 2 charger. At that time a lvl 2 charger required a 30a circuit so, rather than future-proofing the run from the main panel to the sub panel and plug for the charger, he put it on a 30a circuit wired for 30a not 50a. It is 50a to the subpanel. Sure, would I have liked a 48a circuit for my model3? Of course. Do I need it? No. There is likely an 18" run from the subpanel to the plug which is an orange insulated 3 prong wire. If I am not mistaken that orange color is coding for 30a max. Now that the garage is insulated and drywalled I don't know that it is important enough to replace that 18" length of 30a wire with an 18" length of a 50a or 60a wire. My belief is that the run from the main to the sub could take 60a so running the sub at 60a is the cost of a breaker.

While I didn't know there was a distinction between when one purchases the Tesla charger, that wasn't really my point, the expensive part, seems to me, is running a line to the garage and to where the charger will go. Having the charger wired is small compared to the creation of a subpanel and 60a circuit for the charger when you get it.

Oh, you've ordered the entire thing through Tesla? I thought one would order the charger and have some local guy install, pretty much how I got the Leviton installed. Of course the Pruis charges on the passenger side whereas the M3 on the driver side.

Sure just throw a 60 amp breaker on that orange wire (10awg by the way...) and burn down your house. When your friendly fire investigator deams the fire electrical and cites the cause due to improper wiring... the cost will be more than that breaker. Hopefully it will not be someone's life!

I didn't know that. My current car is a 2012 Prius Plugin Advanced and when this house was built I had the garage prewired with a 220 line for a Level 2 charger. At that time a lvl 2 charger required a 30a circuit so, rather than future-proofing the run from the main panel to the sub panel and plug for the charger, he put it on a 30a circuit wired for 30a not 50a. It is 50a to the subpanel. Sure, would I have liked a 48a circuit for my model3? Of course. Do I need it? No. There is likely an 18" run from the subpanel to the plug which is an orange insulated 3 prong wire. If I am not mistaken that orange color is coding for 30a max. Now that the garage is insulated and drywalled I don't know that it is important enough to replace that 18" length of 30a wire with an 18" length of a 50a or 60a wire. My belief is that the run from the main to the sub could take 60a so running the sub at 60a is the cost of a breaker.

While I didn't know there was a distinction between when one purchases the Tesla charger, that wasn't really my point, the expensive part, seems to me, is running a line to the garage and to where the charger will go. Having the charger wired is small compared to the creation of a subpanel and 60a circuit for the charger when you get it.

Oh, you've ordered the entire thing through Tesla? I thought one would order the charger and have some local guy install, pretty much how I got the Leviton installed. Of course the Pruis charges on the passenger side whereas the M3 on the driver side.

I had an electrician run a new 100A wiring run and breaker termination to a sub-panel I installed myself in my basement that I had also pulled permits for.

I then installed the 6/3 Romex run, 50A breaker and terminated it into my garage to the HPWC.

I ordered the HPWC directly from Tesla.... my point in posting was that there is an advantage to waiting till your VIN is assigned to order the HPWC related to the warranty.

You are correct that pre-wiring is probably fine.

In my case the inspector needed to see the new sub-panel and associated wiring runs as well as the HPWC since it was part of the permit (what is this new sub-panel for?)... so, since I had a hole in my calendar to complete the work I just went ahead and did it early.

I expect the typical customer doesn't even think of HPWC installation until their VIN is assigned, then they have one of Tesla's recommended installers do the installation for them and they don't even do anything other than get out their checkbook.

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG
Sure just throw a 60 amp breaker on that orange wire (10awg by the way...) and burn down your house. When your friendly fire investigator deams the fire electrical and cites the cause due to improper wiring... the cost will be more than that breaker. Hopefully it will not be someone's life!

Model 3 max's out at 48a. My argument was if the electrician ran 50a to the sub-panel why not run 50a to the level 2 charger. Why limit it to 30a when plug is rated for 50a?
It's not entirely clear there was a wink in there. No, I am perfectly happy charging at 24a rather than 48a. I was commenting that the installing electrician could have made life way easier by wiring it for 50a. It's 50a now from the main but, as far as I can tell, the wire used is rated for 60 as well. Of course that would require, rather than the lvl 2 charger taking 30a, the Tesla charger and wire it for 50a and have it charge at night. The reality is, I no longer drive 500 miles per week so the Levitron should work just fine.

Last edited:
Same here been locked out of changes for about a month.

I have just been issued a referral code, just missing the car itself.
I had asked elsewhere, as I just within hours, received a referral code if one could glean any meaning from that? Does that imply a VIN has been assigned? If it was tied to the $2500 that referral code should have been given out 2 months ago. So, should we new referral code holders get excited?

I had asked elsewhere, as I just within hours, received a referral code if one could glean any meaning from that? Does that imply a VIN has been assigned? If it was tied to the $2500 that referral code should have been given out 2 months ago. So, should we new referral code holders get excited?

Unfortunately no. I've had a referral code for about a month which was made visible in the app. Then it became visible on just about everyone's account page in the last 24 hours.

Thank you! I'm hoping to see more and more 3s around town very shortly!

Ive seen quite a few around near where I work, in Lake Oswego, over the past few weeks. Various colors too! - white/red/silver/msm/black. I'll be brining one home into the Tabor area, eventually. Ive seen a Blue 3 cosistantly parked on Division in the parking space for what used to operate as Mirador Kitchen & Home. I assume its one of the architects that works at Allusa Architecture, which is next door. It almost makes me want to switch my color choice :cool:

Reactions: NAT3
I think this is the wiring from the subpanel to the 6-50.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 53
View attachment 324718 View attachment 324719

Model 3 max's out at 48a. My argument was if the electrician ran 50a to the sub-panel why not run 50a to the level 2 charger. Why limit it to 30a when plug is rated for 50a?
It's not entirely clear there was a wink in there. No, I am perfectly happy charging at 24a rather than 48a. I was commenting that the installing electrician could have made life way easier by wiring it for 50a. It's 50a now from the main but, as far as I can tell, the wire used is rated for 60 as well. Of course that would require, rather than the lvl 2 charger taking 30a, the Tesla charger and wire it for 50a and have it charge at night. The reality is, I no longer drive 500 miles per week so the Levitron should work just fine.
Just be sure the wire is 6awg or larger, depending on the run.

I just called the Tesla sales number to find out the status on my model 3. The lady on the phone looked up my reservation number and told me that I don't have a VIN assigned. I asked her what was the timeline for VIN assignment. She did not give me a timeline on when it will be assigned but told me that they are currently prioritizing the P3D and P3D+ models and AWD will be after that.

Reserved on 4/22/2016
Configured on 6/28/2018
AWD + Multi Coat Red + 19" Sport + EAP + FSD