Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, apology also from me, after I reread what I posted the "uh what" (that you quoted above, before I changed it :) ) sounded rude when I meant it as "I don't understand what you're saying here." I truthfully still don't quite get it, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless, unless I'm mistaken, Tesla didn't publish that order until after the quarter ended, and they definitely never clarified if people could "jump" earlier configurations based on reservation date. Now that we're seeing deliveries, it seems that is what is occurring. I stated that in my original estimation, that was wrong.

In my original estimation, I was already tooting around town in my Model 3.

I also do think it's important as where the numbers come from. I don't use, for instance, the Bloomberg production estimate, I generally only use the Tesla data.... However...

You stated that I took issue with your data. With the exception of the random word "but" that I added here, this is my original quote (with but included... but if you read it without, it's a little clearer):

"While I don't completely share your optimism (more on that in a moment), but I did a very complex breakdown the day after I configured on 6/28 to try to better estimate where I was in line and my numbers now aren't too far off."

For the most part, my numbers jive with your numbers. The difference is you're expecting them to hit in the middle of the estimate, and I'm expecting them to hit at the end of the estimate.

The only thing that I think you overlooked in your numbers is that you estimated 8-9 weeks assuming 52,500 AWD cars needed at 6,000 a week. I used a lower estimate (5,000), and assumed we still need to keep *some* RWD cars rolling off the line too. In your estimate, we need another 52,500 RWD cars by the end of the year, which since production at the end of Q2 stood at just under 30k, we'd need another 20,000 of those by year end.

20,000 at 5,000 / week is four more weeks.

My whole point was to break down in further detail why I think it's totally possible to make a fair estimate like this, and to highlight a few things that I think need to be considered. Having said that, as I also tried to highlight with my final points, my numbers are purposely pessimistic and represent what I think is the longest possible wait. Yours seem to be more optimistic. That's absolutely fine. I have a hunch yours may land closer to where my car actually shows up.

Having said all of this, for Tesla's sake, I *hope* that the demand legitimately is large enough that I won't get my car until the end of November. While I would love to get a call tomorrow that my car is in transit, come and pick it up on Saturday, I also want my car to be supported through updates throughout it's life and keep getting better. The larger Tesla gets, the more likely they will continue to support this car for years and years into the future. If, on the flip side, all demand is filled by the end of September, we will be in a situation where bankruptcy is possible, and that wouldn't bode well for updates of the car I'm getting.

Which, I guess, is why I'm just accepting of whenever I get it. The sooner, the quicker I get a freaking phenomenal car that drives unlike anything I've ever been in before, and the sooner I no longer have to worry about my current car losing a wheel on the freeway or something. However, the later I receive it, the more likely that the car will continue to grow and improve along with the rest of the company for the next 10+ years that I own it.

Win / win. :)
Bro, at some level we are vehemently agreeing! If I am not mistaken, you reserved/initially ordered yours on 6/28/18. Yes, by my calculations you will get your car this year. People who order right this second will also get their car this year, so long as the creek don't rise. We're on the same side. I disagree with some of what you said. There is another 'thread' if you will I am having with J about charting the best way to let people know where they stand. The premise of that is, nobody cares what happens AFTER they get their car. However, the care what happens up until they get their car.
One thing that concerns me is now there are, at least, three independent spreadsheets. That is supremely unfortunate. I, for one, updated my information in three different locations. That is unlikely to continue. I really like the work @jkirkwood001 is doing with his source data. We're all in the same boat! WHY? because we, those of us left here have not received our cars yet, whether we've been waiting 2 1/2 yrs or 2 months. So, in that regard, we are all trying to reverse engineer the data. I was uncharacteristically harsh in my reaction to your claim...I tried to correct that. Again, we are all on the same side. I, sincerely hope, J sees the example dataset and chart I provided and says..Yes, makes sense now here it is against the best available live data. My senior year (college) adv statistics and criminology thesis papers were based on FBI available data. ...every which way but loose. I "science'd the *sugar* out of that data" and drew statistically significant conclusions. That was then. We don't have accurate data. We ALL want our fricken cars! The basis of my analytical conclusion is premised on Tesla is trying to be honest with us. I believe, we both conclude for the person doing an intial order of their M3 tomorrow, they will receive their car this year. I do feel bad, there are lots of people on here upset. Frankly, I am crossing over to the upset phase. I am trying to temper my emotions with facts in evidence. So, I do sincerely apologize if I offended you. That was not my intent. I think facts matter, data matters. Beyond that..we have faith.

Same here, but EAP is definitely worth it if you have to drive in traffic often enough. Most days I'm stuck in slow traffic, so the one second won't help me as much compared to EAP. I'm sure there will be moments where I really wish I had that extra second, but I'll just save the money for the future roadster fund.
I had to ditch EAP and Sport wheels to get LR, but my CFO only approved $48k after tax credit :) Of course the LR gives it Audi S4 acceleration, which is a nice bonus.

Reservation: 4/3/2016
Configured: 7/7/2018
Non-owner
White AWD, Non-P, black premium interior, aeros, EAP, FSD
Maryland
Edit button removed: 8/11/2018
Changed to cash payment and all green: 8/12/2018
VIN:
Delivery:

I'm thinking I might call today to see if they can give me any update on a VIN.

I got pre-approved on 8/12/2018 for 1.49% for 60 months through FedChoice FCU (federal employees and contractors in the Washington, DC area) but plan to do LightStream to save another .1%.

Jard is my husband. After going through the trade-in valuation process, they came back with a low offer for our trade. So we dropped that. Paying cash now. Got VIN and delivery date of 9/13/2018.

:banana:

First is as percentage...it would need work.
Second is raw numbers, I'd suggest a second chart starting after bubble as shown in middle chart.
Remember, for any given row, the vin and delivered number of OF THOSE RESERVED THAT DAY, not delivered that day.

Okay, a bit confusing, because I think your third chart is the same as the second chart but missing the first two data rows?

Regardless, I think I've got it:

upload_2018-8-23_20-30-25.png

I've added this as a separate item to the menu:

upload_2018-8-23_20-31-28.png

Bro, at some level we are vehemently agreeing!

That was my point!

If I am not mistaken, you reserved/initially ordered yours on 6/28/18.

No, 4/29/17. I had been saving for a DeLorean for the past 18 years and then we bought a Leaf more or less on a whim earlier this day. By the end of the day, I never wanted another gas car again, so the DeLorean fund paid out $1,000 to the Tesla fund. :)

Regardless, I think my reservation date *at most* moves me up by two weeks. My configuration date however would have had me with the car any day now.

One thing that concerns me is now there are, at least, three independent spreadsheets. That is supremely unfortunate. I, for one, updated my information in three different locations.

I agree with all of this. I submitted my data to a spreadsheet or two, and for the life of me can't find my data anywhere. Not sure what happened, but I don't want to resubmit to skew it any, but have no idea how to update mine when I get the car either.

That's why for mine, I tried to use that data as little as possible, since I figure that the "delivered" percentages are probably significantly less than what has actually been delivered. Based on the fact that we are starting to see deliveries trickle past the 4/1/16 reservation date, perhaps they are going faster on those.

Again, I expect my data is the pessimistic "worst case" scenario. Yours from what I have seen seems to be the optimistic "best case" scenario. Neither is wrong, it's just different ends of the same spectrum.

It’s been entertaining reading you guys in violent agreement on the fact that Day 1’s should be done very soon for RWD LR, P’s, and now AWD LR.

I too have basically been estimating ~50k for total AWD LR reservations in the US. I figure about 25% of that would be day 1 (say 12,500). Which means they could build them all in ~3 weeks from the start at the beginning of August. However, since myself and many others have heard nothing, there must be a flaw with that math. I still have doubts that people’s exact position in the reservation system is very accurate. I’m 100% confident I’ll get my car in the Sept-Nov timeframe, but like many here, I have come to realize my place in line was likely just a lotto ticket. It’s a bit of a bummer to think I’m probably part of the 50k, not the 12.5k that wanted this config and was willing to give Tesla a $1000 before even getting to see the car basically on total blind faith in Tesla.

So yesterday my coworker (non-owner) decided to order the AWD. He had no reservation from before. Today his Edit Design link disappeared! It still says Oct to Dec for estimated delivery though, but he can't edit anything anymore.

I posted something similar on here except my co worker ordered RWD, got a delivery date in a week, but changed to AWD prior to delivery. They told him a “few” weeks and lo and behold 3 weeks later he had an AWD.....or so he thought. Picked up in Fremont, drove off and notice app would not connect, then noted VIN was wrong. Sure enough they gave him a RWD! Since there’s. I badge and he didn’t know to check the screen he drove off before realizing. Now they say a few more weeks til they find him another car.....they did give him an S to drive until they find him another. OMG I want my car but they are clearly pushing the envelope in terms of what they can deliver.

It’s silver AWD not sure about other details.

Okay, a bit confusing, because I think your third chart is the same as the second chart but missing the first two data rows?

Yes J but ... the reservations for that day or week obscure, bury the data that follows, which is why on subsequent charts I exclude the bubble.

J, can we have a verbal conversation? or offline email conversation? It took maybe 1/2 hr 45 mins to do the LibreOffice version of what I had in mind. If you, on principle, disagree with my logic...OK. we can discuss? My contention is over time the 'wave' of delivered vs reserved will sweep from left to right.

An update.
Reserved 4.18.16
Ordered 7.18.18
MSM, LR, AWD, SD, EAP, 19' WHEELS, BLACK INT.
Expected delivery 9'18 to 11-18 TAMPA, FL.
Received email 8.23 @ 3.08 PM
Vin# ×××0868××
Delivery 9.18.18 @ 10 am.
No trade in, no previous owner, bank financing.
Very excited indeed.

Great!

I updated your record:

upload_2018-8-23_21-37-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_21-37-0.png
    upload_2018-8-23_21-37-0.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Love
Reactions: TrickyDimitri
J, can we have a verbal conversation? or offline email conversation? It took maybe 1/2 hr 45 mins to do the LibreOffice version of what I had in mind. If you, on principle, disagree with my logic...OK. we can discuss? My contention is over time the 'wave' of delivered vs reserved will sweep from left to right.
Yes, that third chart is the same as the prior without the bubble off day1/day 2. Perhaps you disagree with my premise that the day 1/ day 2 are important to some, it obscures what follows. what we'll see is a sweep of vin/delivered from left to right. My contention is, that is what people are most interested in.