Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have had Julio help me and yes, 1000x more responsive and helpful than any other inside delivery adviser that I've come across.
Just received white AWD. I don’t how to rank the experience. The DA WAS GREAT and called me regularly.

After they installed a new 12V battery it was trucked to me on an almost last minute notice.

The driver who knew NOTHING about the car dropped in on Main St in my little town dirty “they didn’t have time to clean it because it had to get on the truck”. No license plates installed. I found them on the front seat and the mounts in the trunk. No screws to install. There I was standing there w a car shouting out to any police who would drive by.

That is a totally unacceptable way to deliver a car.

But does this car handle great. And comfortable.

Not sure what to think now.

Talked to a new DA today. Initially same old stuff. "Nothing to tell you at this point. We'll reach out to you as soon as we can match your configuration." I mentioned in passing that my loan approval ran out soon and I really needed something soon. He seemed like this was a big surprise. My financing hasn't changed since configuration and they have had my credit union info since June. He said he was going to try to expedite the process and would get back to me. Right...I've heard that before. Low and behold he calls back 10 minutes later saying that he found a car at the factory that matches my configuration and they would be putting it on a train for Georgia. I asked if he had a VIN and he hemmed and hawed and said he didn't but would have my DA reach out to me with it closer to delivery which he tentatively set for the 23rd.

Something doesn't feel right to me. If they actually had a car ready to put on a train car why withhold the VIN? Feels like I was thrown some bait to placate me for a few weeks. What do you guys think?

Dan

My guess is until the car arrives in undamaged condition when it's suppose to they don't give out the VIN. Probably way more complicated to try to correct the paperwork especially if the new owner has passed the VIN on to other sources. We live in the Bay Area and even then we only got our VIN a few days before delivery.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Just received white AWD. I don’t how to rank the experience. The DA WAS GREAT and called me regularly.

After they installed a new 12V battery it was trucked to me on an almost last minute notice.

The driver who knew NOTHING about the car dropped in on Main St in my little town dirty “they didn’t have time to clean it because it had to get on the truck”. No license plates installed. I found them on the front seat and the mounts in the trunk. No screws to install. There I was standing there w a car shouting out to any police who would drive by.

That is a totally unacceptable way to deliver a car.

But does this car handle great. And comfortable.

I've never seen the cars delivered with license plates holders attached. Never. Even when we got our Model S last year. A number of people don't put both of them on and some people prefer to buy plate holders that affix differently. Also not every state requires both plates to be displayed. And many people will take their cars to a detailer for film in which case the plate holders would likely come off anyway. You should have a temporary red sticker on your passenger side window however that makes you legal until the plate comes in (or the temp expires).

Reactions: KJD
I cannot remember the person I spoke with (was not Julio) but same ## and they were helpful as well.
But repeating that on a forum means they won’t be for much longer :D
That number shouldn’t be a secret. If you call don’t settle for a non-answer or a bs explanation. If you’ve been waiting since June your order should be moving along.

The people at the number I posted (obviously doesn’t have to be Julio but he is the plug) have the ability to move things along whether they decide to help or not.

• Informative
Reactions: S5S5G6 and neroden
Today they told me no cars in the USA with my config and I have to wait for them to manufacture one. It just keeps getting better. I have heard it all now.
exactly my config. Was compelled to take one with 18" aeros with a promise to swap out to 19". No idea how or when to schedule. The alternate was to accept an Uber to travel an hour or so to meet a Tesla rep halfway to pick up my car that was coming from Fremont. They threw in a $100 credit on my Tesla account and a possible factory tour as a bonus for taking the car that was available locally instead. I asked how important it was to get me in a car before midnight and he said "really really."

I told the rep that ordering a Model 3 was kind of like having a baby, except that only took 9 months. He laughed and said he was totally using that analogy.

Last edited:
Interesting. Does it have the red brake calipers?

A P3D- does not have the red brake calipers:

upload_2018-10-2_1-17-3.png

They are part of the +$5K "Performance" upgrade package which makes a maxed P3D+.

upload_2018-10-2_1-16-9.png

Several posters on various topics have noted that a 3 AWD can be "unlocked" to become a P3D-. I expect to see an upgrade charge for this down the line, probably during the last month of another Q! Someone noted that if either front or rear motor were different between an AWD and P3-, then the VIN code would have to be different - and it is not! :cool:

PS. OEM aluminum pedals are available here:

https://smile.amazon.com/TeslaHome-Antislip-Pedals-Aluminum-Covers/dp/B07DFXXN4X

• Helpful
Reactions: CheekiTiki
Anyone here with the retired color options SM or OBM still waiting for delivery???

I got a text from Tesla to take delivery on 9/30 but that was canceled right after (as others have also experienced).

What do you guys think? I was hoping that these color options were going to be prioritized, but no luck so far...

Yes, OBM still waiting for delivery and have not been matched with a car yet.

Well, I just got my VIN and delivery is still scheduled tomorrow.

My question: I was given a VIN of 117xxx... according to Model 3 VIN tracker, Tesla just registered my VIN with NHTSA on Saturday.

I live in New York... if it was registered on Saturday how in the hell could it be here on Weds??

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and Arpe
Question up for debate...

My Tesla page is prompting me to pay in full prior to delivery. Needless to say that's not going to happen sight unseen. Could my reluctance to send them a payment be slowing my delivery? I would certainly hope not, but with the goings on over the past few weeks I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Dan

Question up for debate...

My Tesla page is prompting me to pay in full prior to delivery. Needless to say that's not going to happen sight unseen. Could my reluctance to send them a payment be slowing my delivery? I would certainly hope not, but with the goings on over the past few weeks I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Dan

It seems that this is just boilerplate and that lower on the page it states you can pay at delivery. It did not seem to affect mine.

Well, I just got my VIN and delivery is still scheduled tomorrow.

My question: I was given a VIN of 117xxx... according to Model 3 VIN tracker, Tesla just registered my VIN with NHTSA on Saturday.

I live in New York... if it was registered on Saturday how in the hell could it be here on Weds??

It won’t. You’re in my boat. Assume ~3 weeks depending on your distance from the factory.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and AmpRage
Since you've been doing that for a long time did you ever meet Doug Bourn from Palo Alto at any of the meets? He coached robotics teams out here. He was one of the Tesla engineers who died in the private plane crash back in 2010. Plane crash takes life of Castilleja School mentor. Nice to see so many here coaching in these events and guess I'm not surprised that they are also Tesla owners.

I'm sorry to say I didn't have the pleasure. From that article it sounds like he was an amazing person and very reminiscent of the kind of people we see in VEX robotics.

Reactions: S5S5G6 and SMAlset