Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what I told the lady at my SC. She assured me that won’t happen but we here with FIA know better.

I'm not sure if I got lucky or if these stories are the exception. Got my VIN from ISA via phone 12 days before my scheduled delivery so I could finalized loan. Showed up on my account exactly seven days before delivery. Even when my car was still being transported via rail when I was suppose to pick it up this past Saturday and with the reschedule on a final Q3 weekend, I kept my VIN. They didn't try to find one on the lot or anything. If all goes well I pick it up tomorrow and it will still be that original VIN.

I'm not sure if I got lucky or if these stories are the exception. Got my VIN from ISA via phone 12 days before my scheduled delivery so I could finalized loan. Showed up on my account exactly seven days before delivery. Even when my car was still being transported via rail when I was suppose to pick it up this past Saturday and with the reschedule on a final Q3 weekend, I kept my VIN. They didn't try to find one on the lot or anything. If all goes well I pick it up tomorrow and it will still be that original VIN.
Hope it all works out for you. I am sure that there were many more happy endings than horror stories from the past week or so. The people that had good experiences seemed to have great experiences. Unfortunately for those of us that were not so fortunate, it has been a pretty frustrating week to say the least. We are certainly in the minority, no doubt. However, that does little to eliminate the angst if you are in the minority. I am willing to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt...for now, considering the circumstances around needing to show profit etc. That said though, if I read much more about people getting cars with my same configuration that reserved 2 YEARS after me it is going to be increasingly difficult to contain my frustration.

Dan

@neptunesfinest did you have the edit button, no appt, and no vin before the call?
Yes, edit button and no vin. No contact from tesla whatsoever except for that text that everyone got last week. Edit button disappeared and back door link stopped working immediately after I input the loan info.

Still no vin and delivery still says sep-nov. Waiting on the trade-in offer but it says it'll take up to 24hr.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I disagree and really have to give kudos to all the Mt Kisco employees. The pandemonium was created by Tesla corporate - It wasn't the local delivery centers' fault. They were saddled with an impossible task. They normally do less than 10 deliveries a day and were then suddenly tasked to do 200+ every day for a week with no notice. The process was ridiculous - the text fiasco, uninformed agents, appt scheduling without matching vin first etc etc. Virtually none of that was caused by the employees at the delivery centers -they just had to clean it up and deal with the irate customers.

Every employee at Mt Kisco that I dealt with, from the check-in folks to the payments/doc processing, shuttle drivers, and delivery guys were extremely pleasant, nice, and energetic. Under the circumstances, I don't think I would have been so pleasant and upbeat. While the process had some hiccups and certainly took longer than I would have liked, it all worked out in the end and I love love love the car.

They "stole" cars from people that had delivery commitments. Out of pure panic and lack of integrity. Just shuffled cars to "squeaky wheels" and people that just showed up, etc.

Hope it all works out for you. I am sure that there were many more happy endings than horror stories from the past week or so. The people that had good experiences seemed to have great experiences. Unfortunately for those of us that were not so fortunate, it has been a pretty frustrating week to say the least. We are certainly in the minority, no doubt. However, that does little to eliminate the angst if you are in the minority. I am willing to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt...for now, considering the circumstances around needing to show profit etc. That said though, if I read much more about people getting cars with my same configuration that reserved 2 YEARS after me it is going to be increasingly difficult to contain my frustration.

Dan
There is no login or rational how Tesla dealt with M3 reservation holders.....I see so many people with my same configuration ordering their car this year and driving now. Here I am...after 3 scheduled-canceled delivery, with no expected delivery date now, no VIN, a hypothetical Delivery advisor who has pledged to not contact me through CS in Tesla telling me for last 15 days he would call you in next 30 min ;)...I doubt if they care or monitor customer satisfaction. I am really doubting if I want to engage with this company for my future car needs....at least currently I don't own their product and my interaction is limited in scope. What if I own their product and they don't respond to my service needs....what do I do? sue them o_O

Yes, edit button and no vin. No contact from tesla whatsoever except for that text that everyone got last week. Edit button disappeared and back door link stopped working immediately after I input the loan info.

Still no vin and delivery still says sep-nov. Waiting on the trade-in offer but it says it'll take up to 24hr.

I'm in same exact state right now. Did you call recently to get a status update?. Yesterday I was told there's a VIN and car is in transit (even though VIN doesn't show anywhere online).

Has anyone been able to negotiate anything due to all the issues they've had? I've been rescheduled 3 times and was originally supposed to get the car over 3 weeks ago. Now I don't even have a date and Tesla has gone silent on me (and no I haven't been harassing them, I've called twice over the 3 weeks). I'm reaching my limit of patience. If anyone has been offered anything, like 1 year free super charging, please DM me!

Has anyone been able to negotiate anything due to all the issues they've had? I've been rescheduled 3 times and was originally supposed to get the car over 3 weeks ago. Now I don't even have a date and Tesla has gone silent on me (and no I haven't been harassing them, I've called twice over the 3 weeks). I'm reaching my limit of patience. If anyone has been offered anything, like 1 year free super charging, please DM me!
Just curious, do you think harassing them will work or make it worse?

I can try both ways...:). I am in a similar situation and haven't been offered anything than "there is no VIN now and your delivery advisor will call you very soon"

A P3D- does not have the red brake calipers:

View attachment 340020

They are part of the +$5K "Performance" upgrade package which makes a maxed P3D+.

View attachment 340019

Several posters on various topics have noted that a 3 AWD can be "unlocked" to become a P3D-. I expect to see an upgrade charge for this down the line, probably during the last month of another Q! Someone noted that if either front or rear motor were different between an AWD and P3-, then the VIN code would have to be different - and it is not! :cool:

PS. OEM aluminum pedals are available here:

https://smile.amazon.com/TeslaHome-Antislip-Pedals-Aluminum-Covers/dp/B07DFXXN4X

Re: AWD unlock to P3D - I still do not buy this. Elon has specifically stated that they are using selected motors, better inverters, and other hardware in P3D. So far no one has produced any evidence that an AWD can be software unlocked to be identical to P3D. It’s all speculation based on VIN matching mania.

Just curious, do you think harassing them will work or make it worse?

I can try both ways...:). I am in a similar situation and haven't been offered anything than "there is no VIN now and your delivery advisor will call you very soon"

I haven't been harassing them at all...and that sure has not been working. I've only called twice, but I did go in last Friday in person because I was hoping to test drive one since I hadn't been in one yet. They were booked for the next week so I didn't get a chance. So I talked to the Tesla rep about my delays and he was sympathetic and told me he'd make it his personal mission to make sure my car was delivered last Saturday (my third delivery date). Well, that obviously didn't happen.

The major problem is I have my first payment coming up on my auto loan and I don't even have the car. I have a 3 year loan and put down 20%, so I'm about to make a 1400 payment towards nothing. That is why I am about to cancel my order.

I haven't been harassing them at all...and that sure has not been working. I've only called twice, but I did go in last Friday in person because I was hoping to test drive one since I hadn't been in one yet. They were booked for the next week so I didn't get a chance. So I talked to the Tesla rep about my delays and he was sympathetic and told me he'd make it his personal mission to make sure my car was delivered last Saturday (my third delivery date). Well, that obviously didn't happen.

The major problem is I have my first payment coming up on my auto loan and I don't even have the car. I have a 3 year loan and put down 20%, so I'm about to make a 1400 payment towards nothing. That is why I am about to cancel my order.
I hope better sense prevails and someone in Tesla is thinking about this trash treatment they have offered to prospective interested customers...

Re: AWD unlock to P3D - I still do not buy this. Elon has specifically stated that they are using selected motors, better inverters, and other hardware in P3D. So far no one has produced any evidence that an AWD can be software unlocked to be identical to P3D. It’s all speculation based on VIN matching mania.

He said no such thing about "better" inverters- they're all silicon carbide... nor anything about any "other hardware"

All he said was

Elon Musk said:
Performance drive units are lot sorted for highest sigma output & get double the burn-in.

Which means they're the same drive units out of manufacturing... otherwise there'd be nothing to sort between. (and the inverters are part of the drive unit)

They put the highest scoring ones in Ps, but they're the same physical parts to start with.

And for all we know 100% of parts meet or exceed the standard for a P, but by "sorting" the ones that score 105% they reduce their warranty costs slightly on Ps.

Thus there's nothing between an AWD and a P3D- other than software.

Multiple P3D- owners have reporting being delivered an AWD and having it software updated to a P at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt
The only difference on a P car is $9K for silicon that is hand tested so it is matched and the software profile in the car. The matching prevents current from flowing all to one component and blowing it. They simply match these parts prior to assembly. Motors are the same. No one is going to get an AWD car and have it become a P car post sale.

Question up for debate...

My Tesla page is prompting me to pay in full prior to delivery. Needless to say that's not going to happen sight unseen. Could my reluctance to send them a payment be slowing my delivery? I would certainly hope not, but with the goings on over the past few weeks I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Dan
My DA said they would accept a cashier's check, ACH or personal check at delivery on Sunday. I initiated the ACH right away as my delivery was scheduled for later the same day. I realize there was a risk in paying before inspecting the car, but delivery was not an "if" but a "when." Too risky for some, okay for me. Tesla still has my $1500 for the 90" wheels I ordered but don't have yet, and that is just a matter of timing before they address that and the other stuff on the due bill.

If you have the ability to pay electronically, I think you can wait to "push the button" when you are actually taking delivery. Sounds to me after reading so many posts that the sure thing is a cashier's check if you want to avoid any possibly delays with an ACH sent at delivery.

I have a car and my account page still says Sept-Nov delivery range...

I called the delivery 1888 number again today just to check in. i said i got text last week and was scheduled for a delivery for this weekend that ended up getting cancelled so i wasn't sure if i should be calling back to schedule a new date because i didnt think i even had a VIN yet. The very nice and polite lady i spoke with said that i did have a VIN assigned (she even put me on hold to confirm some info) and that it was on a train headed my way. She gave me a VIN of 85XXX so we will see if thats what it ends up being. I would much rather have 3-4 weeks notice than 2-3 days. This lets me put a good effort into selling my current car.

• Informative
There is no login or rational how Tesla dealt with M3 reservation holders.....I see so many people with my same configuration ordering their car this year and driving now. Here I am...after 3 scheduled-canceled delivery, with no expected delivery date now, no VIN, a hypothetical Delivery advisor who has pledged to not contact me through CS in Tesla telling me for last 15 days he would call you in next 30 min ;)...I doubt if they care or monitor customer satisfaction. I am really doubting if I want to engage with this company for my future car needs....at least currently I don't own their product and my interaction is limited in scope. What if I own their product and they don't respond to my service needs....what do I do? sue them o_O
I felt like by the time I took delivery, I had just about every negative experience I've read about in this thread: No communication, failed promises to call back, cancelled delivery, VIN then no VIN, home delivery appointment that came and went, then car in Fremont for a Rocklin delivery with an 11th inning trade out and a downgrade.

Was it worth the hassle? Day 2 as an owner and I say YOU BET. The last mile people were outstanding, including the Model S volunteer who walked me through the car features at 11:30 at night. The local Tesla dealer people were beat up/exhausted and extremely apologetic but worked really hard to deliver the car in a professional manner. Once the sh!#storm of the quarter is behind us, I hope the path is smoother because so many people aren't getting the experience that a dynamic corporation like Tesla is expected to deliver. I can't think of a single legitimate excuse as to why Tesla allowed it to happen, no excuses there.

For the waiters who are ready to walk away based on how their orders were handled, I have doubts that the magic of the car is enough to overcome the bad experience. I'm not forgetting, but it sure is easy to forgive from the driver's seat of the Model 3.