Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only difference on a P car is $9K for silicon that is hand tested so it is matched and the software profile in the car. The matching prevents current from flowing all to one component and blowing it. They simply match these parts prior to assembly. Motors are the same. No one is going to get an AWD car and have it become a P car post sale.

Your claims contradicts both what Elon said (if there was a difference prior to assembly then lot sorting drive units would make no sense) and what numerous owners have reported (being delivered an AWD when they ordered a P and getting a software push to make it a P)

Your claims contradicts both what Elon said (if there was a difference prior to assembly then lot sorting drive units would make no sense) and what numerous owners have reported (being delivered an AWD when they ordered a P and getting a software push to make it a P)

I still haven’t seen any proof of that software push, though. It’s all “the sticker said AWD even though I got a P they must’ve software flashed it” combined with Tesla employees speaking out their rear ends without actually knowing anything.

Pearl White/Black/AWD/18" Aeros/EAP
Ordered 8/1
Added EAP 8/31
Got a text message last week last week in the end of quarter rush, and a scheduled delivery appointment for 9/30. Received a call on 9/29 canceling the appointment.

Yesterday, my Tesla account opened up to allow me to enter my finance information, but no VIN is shown anywhere. I called 888-771-2505 today, and got right through with zero wait. I was told that I have a VIN, and my car is in California, waiting for transport to New Jersey. My estimated delivery date is around October 22.

Who knows what will happen between now and then, but that's the current state of affairs. In the end, I'll be right around 3 months from order date, which is fine with me. In the meantime, the soap opera continues!

Question up for debate...

My Tesla page is prompting me to pay in full prior to delivery. Needless to say that's not going to happen sight unseen. Could my reluctance to send them a payment be slowing my delivery? I would certainly hope not, but with the goings on over the past few weeks I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Dan
If no car exists no, you need not pay. Once you have a MVPA/notification it's on its way, yes you have to pay. I suspect I'll be in same boat. The CU will not pay until there is a MVPA specifying what car I am purchasing. Actually the CU will 'own' the car until I fully pay them back for it. I think, anecdotally, in TX they have to pay before shipment. I'd question Tesla on that. As for "not going to happen", very likely yeah, it will, that's how it works in GA. Here's what mine says,
"Pay the final balance with an ACH transfer prior to delivery, or bring a check from your financial institution on delivery day". Is that what your "payment method" says?
If Tesla gave me their ACH portal, I'd assume what you are assuming and pay them the balance. As that great line in NewsRoom said, "do you want to play golf or do you want to f**k around"?

Question up for debate...

My Tesla page is prompting me to pay in full prior to delivery. Needless to say that's not going to happen sight unseen. Could my reluctance to send them a payment be slowing my delivery? I would certainly hope not, but with the goings on over the past few weeks I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Dan
Short version, that conversation sought of sucked! You question got me nervous so I called the 888 number. Spoke with Jim. Man, they sound beat...I understand a week ago or even Monday but it's Tuesday and they sound drained. As one gets closer they will activate the HTML Control to access their ACH portal where you can pay them the balance. In the case of financing you need only bring with you some proof from the Credit Union or Bank connecting you with their offer to pay their amount (amount financed). And that will work for them to give you the car. Subsequent to that you'll get the populated MVPA which you, in turn, give to your financial institution.
The sucky part was 'perhaps this month, perhaps, November', pessimistic case, perhaps December. They were, according to Jim, trying to concentrate on PAWD in Sept. So...we'll all see what we see in Oct. Hopefully they realize the blanket text messages was a huge misstep.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Called In today to see what's going on and spoke with a new DSA who was apologetic and seemed willing to help. This was not my experience before.

After putting me on hold, she came back and said she sourced a car for me in Fremont, and she will get back to me with the VIN and delivery details. I asked, "After everything else, what's your level of confidence this will go through?" She laughed and said "High level of confidence"

A couple hours later I get an email apologizing, but that car went to someone else and she's trying to get me another one.
So much for all of the confidence. And still I wait ….

Not sure why they just don't assign me one getting built since they don't appear to have my configuration available.

This is what I would do. I would bin the units, keep a flag in an internal database on which AWD systems can be Performance upgraded. Only at the end do I do the upgrade (P+ obviously need to be upgraded earlier in the process). This maximizes the use of the motors and maximises flexibility in build.

Reactions: neroden
UPDATE:

After having the Tyco Rd SC cancel my appointment and give me a ~3 week wait for delivery, I decided to text my rep at Fremont (the one whom unlocked my trade-in/financing).

Seriously, I lucked out with her – she's a rockstar. She said the car was en route to Birmingham, AL and scheduled to arrive at Tyco Rd. on October 15th. So it sounds like my SC is under promising (given they quoted me for October 22nd). The rep said I could contact her again in a week or so for an update on the vehicles trajectory.

UPDATE:

After having the Tyco Rd SC cancel my appointment and give me a ~3 week wait for delivery, I decided to text my rep at Fremont (the one whom unlocked my trade-in/financing).

Seriously, I lucked out with her – she's a rockstar. She said the car was en route to Birmingham, AL and scheduled to arrive at Tyco Rd. on October 15th. So it sounds like my SC is under promising (given they quoted me for October 22nd). The rep said I could contact her again in a week or so for an update on the vehicles trajectory.
That's great Dan. Given what I was told earlier today I am going to jump off the bucking bronco. Ball's in their court. The guy I spoke to, Jim, was saying it could go until end of November. With that I said no magic there, if it's end of Nov it could just as easily be end of Dec. His response, "sure if you want to be pessimistic". They told me 3 weeks ago "It is on it's way via train to your SC". Unfortunately that SC couldn't sell to CT residents. Then I was part of the mass 'mailing'. So I am all set to go. But, at this point, tired of playing Charlie Brown so...I'll wait. If I am still waiting in late Dec, I won't be in early Jan. 1/1/19 is my drop dead date. Interesting article, I think in WSJ, Tesla made their quarter goals, but completely dropped ball on deliveries. I am sure Teslanomics will way in on it soon. I think I'll sign off here too.

Spoke to Tesla yesterday to see what the deal was my pre-approval loan has 15 days left, and she said someone will contact me through email in 24-48hrs with more info about when I may get a car/VIN. Anyone have this reply from them before?

UPDATE:

How do you get a rep at Fremont?

That's great Dan. Given what I was told earlier today I am going to jump off the bucking bronco. Ball's in their court. The guy I spoke to, Jim, was saying it could go until end of November. With that I said no magic there, if it's end of Nov it could just as easily be end of Dec. His response, "sure if you want to be pessimistic". They told me 3 weeks ago "It is on it's way via train to your SC". Unfortunately that SC couldn't sell to CT residents. Then I was part of the mass 'mailing'. So I am all set to go. But, at this point, tired of playing Charlie Brown so...I'll wait. If I am still waiting in late Dec, I won't be in early Jan. 1/1/19 is my drop dead date. Interesting article, I think in WSJ, Tesla made their quarter goals, but completely dropped ball on deliveries. I am sure Teslanomics will way in on it soon. I think I'll sign off here too.
UGH, that sounds like a nightmare @wcorey – sorry to hear about your plight. I guess a lot could still go wrong, so I'm definitely not holding my breath on this.