Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you have something showing up. I'm being told there's a VIN and it's in transit, but nothing indicating that displayed on my account.
And yet @AmpRage just had his disappear – no one is safe.

giphy.gif

Just curious ... did anyone who has taken delivery add FSD after your initial order?

At the time of my AWD order, delivery and documentation fee was $1000, now it's $1200. If you changed your order to add FSD, did your delivery/doc fee change to $1200? When we went to edit design to add FSD, we noticed the delivery/doc fee was also changing to $1200 instead of staying the original $1000.

Anyone else add FSD, did your delivery fee change also???

Just curious ... did anyone who has taken delivery add FSD after your initial order?

At the time of my AWD order, delivery and documentation fee was $1000, now it's $1200. If you changed your order to add FSD, did your delivery/doc fee change to $1200? When we went to edit design to add FSD, we noticed the delivery/doc fee was also changing to $1200 instead of staying the original $1000.

Anyone else add FSD, did your delivery fee change also???

I added it, but had someone at the local store do it.

My edit link was already gone by then and my IDA refused to do it.

I took the day off yesterday from the forum and from calling Tesla. Was hoping it would help my FIA. Didn’t work, and I’m back. So I just called Tesla Delivery and spoke with a very nice guy named Jose. Dude must have apologized for my situation a dozen times, and really sounded sincere. Unfortunately that doesn’t get me a car, and he said he couldn’t locate one for me so to (say it with me now) be patient, and someone will reach out to me when they have a match. So figuring I would get my money’s worth on the call, I asked him why someone can’t just catch the next MSM AWD Black Interior with 18” Aeros that comes off the line at Fremont, put my name on it, and send it to Georgia? They are producing 500 - 1000 Model 3s per day now so surely at least one that matches my configuration comes off the line every day. He said they have no way of knowing what comes off the line, only production knows that. He and his group (Delivery) have to wait until cars are in the system before they can try to assign them. Sigh.

Finally I gave him the VIN of the car that was in Alpharetta this weekend that does match my configuration and asked him to look it up. He confirmed it is still in Alpharetta, and still assigned to someone (that would be Mr. Alabama Guy) and looks like that person will take delivery this weekend. Really hope he does because I would have taken the darn thing 4 days ago had they let me. As for me, no VIN, no delivery scheduled, no nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt
I took the day off yesterday from the forum and from calling Tesla. Was hoping it would help my FIA. Didn’t work, and I’m back. So I just called Tesla Delivery and spoke with a very nice guy named Jose. Dude must have apologized for my situation a dozen times, and really sounded sincere. Unfortunately that doesn’t get me a car, and he said he couldn’t locate one for me so to (say it with me now) be patient, and someone will reach out to me when they have a match. So figuring I would get my money’s worth on the call, I asked him why someone can’t just catch the next MSM AWD Black Interior with 18” Aeros that comes off the line at Fremont, put my name on it, and send it to Georgia? They are producing 500 - 1000 Model 3s per day now so surely at least one that matches my configuration comes off the line every day. He said they have no way of knowing what comes off the line, only production knows that. He and his group (Delivery) have to wait until cars are in the system before they can try to assign them. Sigh.

Finally I gave him the VIN of the car that was in Alpharetta this weekend that does match my configuration and asked him to look it up. He confirmed it is still in Alpharetta, and still assigned to someone (that would be Mr. Alabama Guy) and looks like that person will take delivery this weekend. Really hope he does because I would have taken the darn thing 4 days ago had they let me. As for me, no VIN, no delivery scheduled, no nothing.

Taking a break from the forum and calling Tesla is extremely wise and something others should partake in. A large amount of additional stress, worrying, and fear has been generated by the discussions here.

I spoke with a friend that has an AWD on order and has heard nothing. The difference is that he isn’t here and has no clue about any of what we discuss daily. All he knows is that he has a 3 month delivery window and there’s still two full months to go. I could tell that he’s much more content than I am. Ignorance is bliss in this situation.

It's such a damn crap shoot. I have a VIN showing up with a car in transit that's ~2 weeks out. No MVPA though. It's all so damn random and most of our FIA is due to the fact that we're trying to make sense of something that is truly nonsensical.
Without an MVPA there is absolutely no guarantee that particular vin will show up in your driveway. I think what's happening is for those going on a rant for a vin, they get a vin, maybe on a car previous delivered. Whatever it takes to shut down the 'mama bears' Whoever would actually give away someone elses car as response to a verbal screed, should be fired, unceremoniously fired. Maybe we should all stop hounding them. It is very emotionally taxing to spend your day on the phone being yelled at. Nothing in that Dan is directed towards you just in general.

Last edited:
@Knightshade - The store was able to add it for the $3000 price prior to delivery?

Yup.

After IDA repeatedly insisted it's impossible for him to add at all without my losing my "assigned" car, even after I got him to agree it was a software push and that made no sense, I gave up on him and just asked the local store guy when I was trading my current car in.

he said sure, no problem...and about 48 hours later it was updated on tesla.com and I had to ACH the 3k (plus tax) to pay for it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yup.

After IDA repeatedly insisted it's impossible for him to add at all without my losing my "assigned" car, even after I got him to agree it was a software push and that made no sense, I gave up on him and just asked the local store guy when I was trading my current car in.

he said sure, no problem...and about 48 hours later it was updated on tesla.com and I had to ACH the 3k (plus tax) to pay for it.

Haha

Tesla should be doing everything in their power to make add-ons easily accessible with the least amount of friction possible. You should be able to add EAP and FSD at any time through your account page online, in the app, and on the screen in the car. The credit cards are already attached. Leaving a lot of money on the table by making it a hassle.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt
So you're saying he explcitly lied?

Because what he actually said was drive units are lot sorted.

That'd be impossible if the actual sorting was on the FETs...since by the time it's a drive unit the "installing FETs" stage is long past, assembly-wise.

They may choose drive units that test better on those cars for reliability but it does not have anything to do with the inverters or that it is a requirement. Also Tesla often refers to drive units as the motor and inverter combined. Marketing speak is subjective but the point is it's not just a software update nor is it a different motor design or different inverter which is what I have said before the specs for AWD were even announced. I saw the specs before they were public, it all matched up. The only performance package Tesla offered that had a higher cost was the larger motor in the S P car that was up front. Now things are changing and the hard costs for a P car are minimal at best.

Last edited:
So my IDA calls me after being MIA Since friday, Hello sir, it looks like there's been some confusion, I just wanted to let you know that your car is in production as we speak, ummmm douche canoe!, my new VIN is on its way to me from Chicago no thanks to your treacherous lies and incompetence. Save it.
Just because they say it's on it's way doesn't mean it is. If they called you to tell you it's in production now, maybe that is the truth and the 'we just pulled someone elses car to send to you special delivery" is the BS fabrication. Remember, NOBODY reacts well to 'mama bears'.

They may choose drive units that test better on those cars for reliability but it does not have anything to do with the inverters or that it is a requirement. Also Tesla often refers to drive units as the motor and inverter combined. Marketing speak is subjective

That isn't marketing speak. The actual named part "drive unit" on the model 3 includes the motor and inverter combined.

it's impossible for then to bin sort the drive units if only "special" ones got "special" already-sorted inverters.

but the point is it's not just a software update

The only evidence we have either way is the what, at least 6 people now, who got a NON P and had it flashed at the dealer to a P.

Which says yes, it is just a software update.

What evidence do you have that it's not?

They may choose drive units that test better on those cars for reliability but it does not have anything to do with the inverters or that it is a requirement. Also Tesla often refers to drive units as the motor and inverter combined. Marketing speak is subjective but the point is it's not just a software update nor is it a different motor design or different inverter which is what I have said before the specs for AWD were even announced. I saw the specs before they were public, it all matched up. The only performance package Tesla offered that had a higher cost was the larger motor in the S P car that was up front. Now things are changing and the hard costs for a P car are minimal at best.
If you have a motor or engine and run it at 99% or 100% of rating it'll likely burnout well before the same motor or engine running at 95% of rating. Is 1 second difference 0-60 really worth $10,000? That and higher insurance are a lot for bragging rights.

Remember, NOBODY reacts well to 'mama bears'.

I don’t know @wcorey, I can remember a time when my daughter was a toddler and banged her head on something while we were in line to check out at Lowes. My wife VERY POLITELY said to the cashier, “my daughter’s head is bleeding and I need some paper towels” to which the teenaged cashier replied (without even looking up), “we don’t have any” and then went back to her job. I then put my hands over my daughter’s ears because I did not want her to hear what was coming next, and sure enough my wife ERUPTED INTO A MAMA BEAR! Every window in that Lowes was rattling because of her voice, power tools turned on by themselves, grown men wept, and I kid you not, 3 Lowes employees including at least 1 store manager came running toward us shouting “we have a first aid kit, we have towels, we’re coming!” The poor little teenager running the cash register shrunk into her chair, never to be seen again. And my daughter got the attention she needed.

So you see, there is a time and a place for Mama Bear to bust out those claws. :)

There's no difference between AWD and P VINs. The insurance companies can't know. I suspect this means that P drivers will pay a little less than they should and AWD drivers a little more.
I recall that there actually IS. Insurance companies MUST know. AWD is not high performance, PAWD is. Is Chevy Corvette rated the same as a Chevy Malibu?

Here's how you decode the Tesla Model 3 VIN
he remaining characters in the 17-digit VIN can be decoded as follows:

• Digits 1 – 3: World Manufacturing Identifier
    • 5YJ = Manufacturer: Tesla Inc.
  • Digit 4: Make/Line/Series
    • S = Tesla Model S
    • X = Tesla Model X
    • 3 = Tesla Model 3
  • Digit 5: Body Type and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
    • A – Hatch back 5 Dr/ LHD
    • C = Class E (6001-7000 lbs) GVWR / MPV / 5 Dr / LHD
    • E= Sedan 4 Dr / LHD
  • Digit 6: Restraint System
    • 1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
    • D= Type 2 Manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
  • Digit 7: Fuel Type
    • E = Electric
  • Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
    • 1= Single Motor – Standard
    • 3= Single Motor – Performance
    • 2 = Dual Motor (standard)
    • 4 = Dual Motor (performance)
    • A= Single Motor – Standard
    • B= Dual Motor – Standard
  • Digit 9: Check Digit To be assigned by manufacturer pursuant to 49 CFR § 565.6(c)
  • Digit 10: Model Year
    • H = 2017
  • Digit 11: Plant of Manufacture
    • F = Fremont, CA
  • Digits 12-17: Unique serial number

I don’t know @wcorey, I can remember a time when my daughter was a toddler and banged her head on something while we were in line to check out at Lowes. My wife VERY POLITELY said to the cashier, “my daughter’s head is bleeding and I need some paper towels” to which the teenaged cashier replied (without even looking up), “we don’t have any” and then went back to her job. I then put my hands over my daughter’s ears because I did not want her to hear what was coming next, and sure enough my wife ERUPTED INTO A MAMA BEAR! Every window in that Lowes was rattling because of her voice, power tools turned on by themselves, grown men wept, and I kid you not, 3 Lowes employees including at least 1 store manager came running toward us shouting “we have a first aid kit, we have towels, we’re coming!” The poor little teenager running the cash register shrunk into her chair, never to be seen again. And my daughter got the attention she needed.

So you see, there is a time and a place for Mama Bear to bust out those claws. :)
Point taken but that is WAY different than "Where's my fricken car".

Reactions: neroden