Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone picked up their car in Kansas City? How was the experience?

Bit concerned here, they said my car will arrive there on the 18th and they scheduled my pickup on the 19th. Feel like there is a high probability it won't be there on my pickup day.

Unless you have a flexible schedule, and don't live too far away... I wouldn't even schedule a pickup day until your car has arrived with no major defects. Don't let them push you around with dates until the location actually knows. This also prevents a lot of re-scheduling and stress. Just my 2 cents.

Don't throw tomatoes at me but, you guys think a no reservation, configure this weekend (Oct 14) guy like me would get it before the end of the year? Currently showing 2-4 months estimate.

In So Cal. Black and AWD option only.

Thanks.

Don't throw tomatoes at me but, you guys think a no reservation, configure this weekend (Oct 14) guy like me would get it before the end of the year? Currently showing 2-4 months estimate.

Thanks.

You probably have a pretty good chance of it since you are in CA, but it is a bit of a mixed bag. These days some people get their within weeks of ordering and others have to wait for months. Fingers crossed for you!

You do have a date range though Oct->Dec...This is what happens when one changes their config. So, if keeping with Telsa's claim of hitting month 2 (clearly doesn't appear it'll work for me) that puts you likely to get a car assignment, if not delivery in Nov or assignment Nov delivery in Dec. Question to you, and it's rhetorical, does that work for you? BTW, I took a lot of math, modeling, and statistics in college.
Sept-Nov

You probably have a pretty good chance of it since you are in CA, but it is a bit of a mixed bag. These days some people get their within weeks of ordering and others have to wait for months. Fingers crossed for you!

Before the Model 3 was in production, Telsa kind of had this delivery pattern where overseas cars were delivered 1st month of the quarter. Then deliveries in the US tended to go from East coast, moving westward with Calif/western state deliveries happening in 3rd quarter when the physical delivery time to those areas was quicker and didn't require a lot of transportation scheduling (train/car carrier). Also California may be the state with the largest number of owners and probably a continuing trend. With Model 3 thrown into the mix now and so many cars in production I'm not sure if there is a overall delivery plan to certain areas. Apart from deliveries to Canada, no other overseas deliveries yet to factor in.

I think living in California you will see your car before the end of the year, especially if you live near a delivery center. Suspect deliveries will be similar to what we saw for September.

• Informative
Reactions: thimblepk
UGGHH. My delivery was pushed back yet another week. The car has been sitting in Atlanta since the 6th and my delivery date was the 13th. I emailed my IDA this morning and got no response, so I called the Tampa delivery center and was told my IDA had pushed delivery date back to the 20th because of the Hurricane. #1 They should have brought the car to Tampa Sunday, Monday or Tuesday BEFORE the hurricane was due to hit on Wed. #2 The hurricane did not impact the interstate system in Georgia. I looked at traffic cams this morning and interstate traffic was completely flowing normally. #3 Tesla Logistics truly sucks!! My car sat in the railyard in California for 3 weeks in Sept before they finally put on a train to Chicago where it arrived a couple weeks ago, then put it on a truck down to Atlanta and eventually (if I ever get it) Tampa.
Other cars they rail to Birmingham and truck down to Florida, like my buddies car that got delivered in Sept even though I was a day 1 line waiter and he was not.
Logistics said the truck drivers have been told to "hold off" trucking any cars down from Atlanta for a week! A week?! I literally watched plenty of other car carriers driving on I-75 in Georgia all day today, but Tesla thinks they need to wait yet another week? These guys tryly suck at basic logistics. Can't they hire someone from another car maker that knows that the &ell they are doing?

I am a huge Tesla fanboy but this *sugar* is getting really old.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt

Thanks.
When the end of Q4 push starts and they begin throwing cars at local orders your number will come up.

My car sat in the railyard in California for 3 weeks in Sept before they finally put on a train to Chicago where it arrived a couple weeks ago, then put it on a truck down to Atlanta and eventually (if I ever get it) Tampa.
Other cars they rail to Birmingham and truck down to Florida, like my buddies car that got delivered in Sept even though I was a day 1 line waiter and he was not.

I could be wrong, but I actually don't think Tesla is able to control how cars flow in and out of rail yards. I think that's more at the discretion of the railways and whoever operates those yards.

Reactions: webdbbt
Well, my "early Christmas" was stolen by the Tesla Grinch. VIN disappeared overnight and tomorrow's delivery was changed to Oct 26 supposedly because it will take more than two weeks to get a car from NY to MD. :rolleyes:

Wife will be out of town that week which Tesla had already been told and recorded in the "notes" so just really bummed out now. My window was Sep-Nov, so it's still okay, but give a date and stick to a date. Elon time apparently runs deep at Tesla...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
This is your signature sport...
Reserved online 3/31/2016, invite 4/18, deferred for AWD, configured 6/27, Sept-Nov delivery window. AWD-LR, MSM, PUP, EAP, 19s. 8/1 changed to White with 18s, and delivery window changed from Sept-Nov to Oct-Dec... :-(

With this, I am out. I've got my date. I'll leave this forum to the hand-wringers. ba-bye.

Last edited:
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I'd take whatever shows on the website with a grain of salt. If I had stuck with RDW I would have gotten my car way sooner than when I ordered AWD (both showed the same date range).

Then when I switch to Performance My date changed to September (from Sept-Nov I think it was). But it still shows "End Of September" on the website and guess what month it is now.

Also I am in California, but guess what? I don't think it helps.

Whelp, had a delivery rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Just got a call though saying that wasn't going to happen, that they still don't have the car, but assured me it's in transit and that they've contacted the driver for an ETA. Apparently it won't be in until tomorrow night sometime so they're saying Saturday afternoon delivery now. Guess we'll see.

Thanks.
The Tesla website seem to just have been updated.
Federal Tax Credit
All orders placed by October 15, 2018 will be delivered by the end of the year and eligible for the full $7,500 Federal Tax Credit.

Learn more

So I’d say yes to your question.