Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Order moved up to Sept - Nov from Oct-Dec...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if there is any chance that all the LR battery people being moved up will mean they are willing to start making the SR battery sooner. Or if they will just use this time saved to crank out even more LR batteries while their margins are better. Unfortunately, I think it's the latter. There is pretty much 0 incentive for Tesla to move any quicker on the SR battery when there are still a ton of people who want LR.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoCalGuy
I wonder if there is any chance that all the LR battery people being moved up will mean they are willing to start making the SR battery sooner. Or if they will just use this time saved to crank out even more LR batteries while their margins are better. Unfortunately, I think it's the latter. There is pretty much 0 incentive for Tesla to move any quicker on the SR battery when there are still a ton of people who want LR.

I would guess not unless orders for LR dry up. I think that is one of the reasons why they opened up to orders to anyone is that with many reserve holders waiting for SR that their reserve to order conversion rate isn't super high so they want to let anyone that wants the LR version to get it whether they reserved or not.

To put it simply, I'm thinking they need the LR orders to fill out their backlog until production rate and/or balance sheet is improved enough to sustain & support the lower margins of the SR.

3/31/16 reservation, ordered 6/26/2018.... Non-owner, ordered AWD (non P), EAP, aeros, and blue, still shows Sept-Nov as it originally did.

I'm fine with this as I want to see what's in the alleged FSD-finally-does-something update in August so I can add FSD for pre-delivery pricing if it's something worthwhile

I am also in Texas. I configured LR AWD on 6/30 and it shows estimated delivery as Sep-Nov. Don't have VIN or scheduled delivery date yet. Your probably shows the same at this point.

Hmm this is interesting. I saw someone else mentioned that it seems that people who ordered AWD in May (and maybe early parts of June?) don't have any estimate for some reason.

Anyone else order AWD in May and have an estimate listed in their account?

AWD moved up and they did not even deliver one yet????

So really, nobody knows. It is moved up because someone thinks the production start up will go smoothly and they calculate production volumes from the new production line to be high. Later they may find issues in production and move it back.

So Real is August18 to January19. it will move back a forth. and in the end I expect we will get our cars. close to when they first said we would.

Hmm this is interesting. I saw someone else mentioned that it seems that people who ordered AWD in May (and maybe early parts of June?) don't have any estimate for some reason.

My original reservation was 4/1/2016 and I got my configuration email 3-4 days before 6/30/2018 which I treated as my deadline to get my reservation in for the promotion of getting some extra features included by completing $2,500 deposit before 7/1/2018. The estimated delivery it shows me is the same estimate I think it was giving when I was completing the configuration & order.

2018-07-13_11-01-24.jpg

3/31/16 pre reveal online res, invited to configure RWD Aprit 18, deferred, invited to order AWD on 6/27, configured Red AWD, LR, PUP, no other options. Started off as Sept-Nov, still Sept-Nov.

Seems like basically every Performance is now showing Aug-Oct and (virtual?) all other AWD orders is Sept-Nov.

On plus side the SR buyers will get much cheaper car that still has plenty of range and likely with more customization options (like beige interior instead of only having choice of black).

For me, since I do take road trips from TX all the way to CA and back (with family in AZ and CO that I try to visit along the drive path), I would have opted to wait for LR if it was the longer wait (despite the higher cost).

I still do not have a delivery date but when I ordered it said 12-16 weeks.

Reserved 3/21/2016 - 5th in line in Kansas City
Ordered 5/23/2018
non-owner
AWD/Blue/Aero/EAP

Delivery Timeline.png

I'm in the same boat as @Trips and @quantumslip - Ordered in-store 3/31/16, configured online 5/23/18, still no estimate given beyond the original 12-16 week delivery timetable when placing my configuration order. I'm hoping they stick to that 12-16 weeks, otherwise, it seems as though there was no benefit to ordering a month ahead of everyone else.