Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Y Much Slower Than AWD 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to the Model 3, the Y is about 10% heavier, 10% greater drag and 10% larger wheels/tires. Would make sense that it would be about 10% slower.
Likewise it would make sense for the 3 to be slightly more nimble, have greater range and give a slightly more energetic driving experience. Pricing is usually less as well.

Offsetting this, the Y has better ground clearance for off road capability and carries much more inside its more roomy cabin.

Believe this is typical comparing other manufacturers productions between the sedan that is the basis for their larger (and usually more popular) SUV.

There was another thread about this and there were numbers provided on the M3P and MYP. The M3P is half a second faster than MYP but they have virtually the same trap speed (something around 114mph). This can only happen if the M3P's curve is much flatter than the MYP curve, with more power down low and less power on the back end, as MYP virtually makes up the deficit 60mph and on.

They are definitely playing with the power curves between the two models. I personally think it is for the comfort, lifestyle of one vehicle vs the other. It's just a theory, as most of the crossover SUVs have a deeper penetration into the small family market, due to space / cargo....etc.

I am too lazy to search but there was a video comparing the two power curves of the two vehicles. The model y is definitely corked at the low end. I wish they would allow the performance versions to choose the power curve style, M3P style or more of a luxury SUV style. Personally I prefer the model 3p lurch off the line and after owning both, the MYP feels rather slow off the line.

Having tasted the forbidden fruit (M3P), it will always be the best car in my eyes, but we own the MYP now, with two kids and it is just a bit more practical for us (space, towing, ride comfort)...

I'm surprised that I haven't seen other AWD Model Y owners disappointed by these numbers

Maybe it's because I'm now in the over sixty crowd, but why would they be "disappointed"?

Isn't this thing fast enough already? When can you even really use the full acceleration on the public highway? If you try, you'll probably end up with tickets or say hello to a bridge abutment at some point. Once or twice maybe, and yes it IS fun, but who really needs more?

Maybe it's because I'm now in the over sixty crowd, but why would they be "disappointed"?

Isn't this thing fast enough already? When can you even really use the full acceleration on the public highway? If you try, you'll probably end up with tickets or say hello to a bridge abutment at some point. Once or twice maybe, and yes it IS fun, but who really needs more?
It's why I don't understand the performance version of the Y at all. The LR Is plenty fast enough. And if those tiny fractions of seconds are important to you (and they are to many) then it makes sense to get the lighter, more aerodynamic Model 3 P?

It's why I don't understand the performance version of the Y at all. The LR Is plenty fast enough. And if those tiny fractions of seconds are important to you (and they are to many) then it makes sense to get the lighter, more aerodynamic Model 3 P?
Thread bump new member here
Waiting on delivery of a W/W MYLR

Acquaintance bought a 23 MYLR and stated the HP as 362 and also that # is printed on the Certificate of Origin.

Most sources list the 2023 MYLR as 425 HP Is this something to do with the dual Motor or Gross versus Net numbers ??
What Gives?

Thread bump new member here
Waiting on delivery of a W/W MYLR

Acquaintance bought a 23 MYLR and stated the HP as 362 and also that # is printed on the Certificate of Origin.

Most sources list the 2023 MYLR as 425 HP Is this something to do with the dual Motor or Gross versus Net numbers ??
What Gives?
Did he buy from existing inventory? Tesla recently started offering a Standard Range Model Y AWD with 5.0 second 0-60 and 279 mile range. They only appear under the existing new inventory section of the ordering page. Further, Tesla does not show the horsepower & torque on the website. It could be one of those?

First, I'll start off with the main question. Why is the Model Y AWD so much slower, 0-60, than the Model 3 AWD?

The Model 3 (without acceleration boost) has a listed 0-60mph time of 4.4 seconds, but in reality it is around 4.0-4.1 seconds after a couple of key performance enhancing software releases. Dyno tests have shown the non-boosted Model 3 AWD to have 447 HP / 397 Torque.

The Model Y has a listed 0-60mph time of 4.8 seconds and testing shows it to be around the same 4.8 seconds, even though the same performance enhanced software version is running on it. The Model Y does weight 325 lbs more, but that should not equate to .7-.8 seconds slower 0-60. The Model Y AWD reviews show it as having 384 HP / 376 Torque, so why is it so much slower than the Model 3?

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen other AWD Model Y owners disappointed by these numbers, when compared to the similar Model 3, that only weighs 325 lbs more. I'm pretty sure that the Acceleration Boost will be offered for the Y at some point (Free $$$ for Tesla), but I would really hope that Tesla will also even out these numbers as well.
did you look at the differences in WEIGHT ?

You don’t have to post in so many different places and then bump them… that gets considered rude/annoying.

That said, according to the EPA (at least for 2022), the combine motor ratings are 291 kW (91+200) for non-performance and 312 kW (133+179) for performance. That converts to about 390 and 418 hp.

One site, EV-database lists torque at 364 lb-ft… so are we sure they’re not mixing numbers?

And as already mentioned, Tesla does not put ho numbers on their site while most reviews are calculating, measuring or straight up guessing on their own. So, numbers can/will vary. Best to just ignore them.

Reactions: richyrich
You don’t have to post in so many different places and then bump them… that gets considered rude/annoying.

That said, according to the EPA (at least for 2022), the combine motor ratings are 291 kW (91+200) for non-performance and 312 kW (133+179) for performance. That converts to about 390 and 418 hp.

One site, EV-database lists torque at 364 lb-ft… so are we sure they’re not mixing numbers?

And as already mentioned, Tesla does not put ho numbers on their site while most reviews are calculating, measuring or straight up guessing on their own. So, numbers can/will vary. Best to just ignore them.
Sorry I should have just left it over here.

Your response has been the only one so thanks for the info. I did try and remove delete the post bump from the one other thread but this site has a short edit window which has passed so that's out.

It is interesting you asked about existing inventory.
I believe it possibly was.

He ordered a Blue/ Black, 5seat, MYLR, with tow.

Ordered early on 1/14 and picked up the car Very shortly after.

Last edited: