Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back End Stepped Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I didn't really expect...
Did you know that the M3 back end can swing out? Well it can.... as I discovered.

Hard right turn from the main road on to a side road, on the apex of a left had bend. a blind corner so I didn't linger. Wet cold road, a bit too much boot from stationary with lock applied and wow the back end started to step out....
And then the computers took over. It was beautifully controlled..
I'd like to say it was me, but it wasn't!!

I suspect that without traction control and with all the EV torque it could be quite "interesting".
Where interesting = expensive.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Washout
You can't beat physics. Apply enough turning force without enough grip and something is going to give. Here in the sticks wet leaves, gravel and ice are constant reminders. My aged 200sx is a drifters dream - RWD and a light back end and no traction control taught me to be a careful driver. The GT86 I had for a while taught me how traction control can cause brown trouser syndrome: the physics of a slide still happen and then the traction control tried to keep the car straight on the new wrong line. Given a choice I prefer to fishtail without traction control getting in the way. I;ve been too cautious to push the S to such limits with Tesla bodywork charges...

Reactions: Jason71
Did you know that the M3 back end can swing out? Well it can.... as I discovered.

Hard right turn from the main road on to a side road, on the apex of a left had bend. a blind corner so I didn't linger. Wet cold road, a bit too much boot from stationary with lock applied and wow the back end started to step out....

I suspect that without traction control and with all the EV torque it could be quite "interesting".

Indeed, great fun. As you say it is beautifully controlled with the computer stepping in :p

Reactions: Rustybkts

Happened to me once going through a curve on the freeway wet road. Felt the rear slide; heard a beep; computers corrected; literally took less than one second from slide to correction. I didn't do anything to correct. Amazing car (Model S)

From the age of 16 to 66 I roade motorcycles....so I learned to be VERY aware of the road surface. I think this was a "simple" case of a cold wet road with a worn surface and a clumsy application of a right boot.
On the Morgan and the AMG we have winter tyres, I do wonder about fitting them to the Tesla for next winter.

I was watching a YouTube review of a Ferrari 550, wonderful V12... with about the same power and torque as a M3, the difference is that we get all the torque at 0.1mph, the 550 at 6000 rpm.....

For the non performance owners, there is an option for this.
1640014797335.png

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba
Model 3 dual motor is very tail happy in slippery conditions. Be careful in the snow your first time until you get comfortable with how it responds to accelerator input. Once you get used to it, it can be very entertaining, although your passengers will probably be terrified.

Reactions: Darmie