Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up camera turns off too quick.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a Lexus that had a front fisheye cam and it had a lock you could click on to keep the camera on as long as you wanted. Maybe Tesla could do that.

For a front camera, ok, but for the back camera, there is already a button for Camera in the top bar that will turn on the camera 24/7. I would imagine SabrToothSqrl could just turn that on and then begin his maneuvering, then turn it off (or leave it on all the time). Not the same as automatically staying on while maneuvering, but not bad. Also, note that Cottonwood is seeing Sabr's desired behavior when the parking sensors are also engaged.

I've driven a Lexus that had a front fisheye cam and it had a lock you could click on to keep the camera on as long as you wanted. Maybe Tesla could do that.

Tesla does. You click the camera button on the top of the screen and it stays on as long as you want. Seriously, if you want the camera on it takes half a second to turn it on. Sometimes I use it to see that I've pulled forward past the back of the parking space.

Well I can't say I've ever noticed this "problem."

My only complaint is that the backup guides are nowhere near accurate (compared to previous cars we've owned that had them), but I suppose they are better than nothing.

Tesla does. You click the camera button on the top of the screen and it stays on as long as you want. Seriously, if you want the camera on it takes half a second to turn it on. Sometimes I use it to see that I've pulled forward past the back of the parking space.

Thank goodness you mentioned this because if you didn't I would have.

If you want the camera on for any length of time, just select the app.

Then, as you are see-sawing in a parking spot or whatever.... it's always there to view. The only thing different is curvy lines when in R, and not when not.

We need a special emoticon for 1st world problem on this forum, like no other.

For a front camera, ok, but for the back camera, there is already a button for Camera in the top bar that will turn on the camera 24/7. I would imagine SabrToothSqrl could just turn that on and then begin his maneuvering, then turn it off (or leave it on all the time). Not the same as automatically staying on while maneuvering, but not bad. Also, note that Cottonwood is seeing Sabr's desired behavior when the parking sensors are also engaged.
I agree. I wonder if the OP has tried using the camera app. I've never needed the rear camera to stay on after I've taken it out of reverse. I think this is a non-issue.

With 6.2-2.4.188, my P85D does this. If I pull into my garage and the front sensors start reading distance, then shift into reverse to look at where the car is relative to the garage door marks, the camera comes on, and stays on even after I shift back into forward. The display stays up showing the rear camera view and distances around the car. I find this very useful for pulling into the garage just far enough to close the garage door and have plenty of room to walk in front of the car after parking.

Good to know. But what I would love, is for the backup camera to be geo-tagged, like the suspension. I would like it to come on as soon as I approach my home garage door.

Yes, I am not asking for the feature. I was just suggesting something to help SabrToothSqrl get what he wants.

What's the advantage of the rear camera staying on after you shift to drive? I can't see any reason for it at all.

Very useful for checking your blind spots when merging or lane shifting due to its wide angle

- - - Updated - - -

If you do that, will it display the guidelines? At least when you shift into R?

The camera is always on regardless of gear if you select the app, but the guidelines will show only when you shift into R.