Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up or pull-in to 1 car garage for 2023 MY without USS?

Do you back in or pull into garage?

• Back in

• Pull in

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer pulling in the garage (any vehicle) b/c I always want the return quicker than the departure. In other words, when I get home I don't want to do the extra time and maneuvers to back in.

I have a 2020 ICE Jeep without ultrasonic sensors. I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling which is very cheap and effective.

I would put the charger wherever it makes the most sense long term.

I don't use the USS on my Tesla very often. For example, they don't even detect parking curb heights that are tall enough to bottom out on. (same with many vehicles USS)

I don't use the USS on my Tesla very often. For example, they don't even detect parking curb heights that are tall enough to bottom out on. (same with many vehicles USS)
This is when a real 360 camera would come in handy. With that being said, it would be nice if there was a menu option for the repeater cams to select which cameras you want. I think the front windshield mounted camera and pillar cameras could come in handy. Even if it can't see directly in front of the car, you could prob visually extrapolate.

So much easier to back OUT than back IN. Never understood why people in pickups do this all the time.

Two primary reasons.

One, it’s safer.

Two, the vehicle is more maneuverable with the steering wheels toward the outside of the parking spot.

For pickup trucks and other large vehicles, maneuverability is greatly restricted when parking head-in, often requiring an extra maneuver (three point turn) to get the truck lined up correctly in the space. Maneuverability is similarly restricted when backing out of the space.

The concept is similar to why you back into a parallel parking space instead of pulling forward into it. Similar reason why you dock a boat by putting the bow (front) against the dock first, then pulling the stern (rear - the end that turns) up against the dock.

Two primary reasons.

One, it’s safer.

Two, the vehicle is more maneuverable with the steering wheels toward the outside of the parking spot.

For pickup trucks and other large vehicles, maneuverability is greatly restricted when parking head-in, often requiring an extra maneuver (three point turn) to get the truck lined up correctly in the space. Maneuverability is similarly restricted when backing out of the space.

The concept is similar to why you back into a parallel parking space instead of pulling forward into it. Similar reason why you dock a boat by putting the bow (front) against the dock first, then pulling the stern (rear - the end that turns) up against the dock.
I regularly see people make 5-6 manuevers just to back into a parking spot. It's insane. I'm sure there are valid reasons for backing in but from my experience, people have a harder time backing into a spot than backing out of one. Living in TX, I get to see this on a daily basis with every other vehicle being a pickup.

First off: When it comes to garages, I'm a pull-forward, not back-in type. But, having said that:

In a Tesla with that back-up camera and the white lines, it's trivial to back into a parking place. Did it a couple of times today, in fact. Just drive the car in reverse down the middle of the lane using those white lines on the camera (which niftily go back and forth with the steering wheel) and One Is In on the first try.

Now, a pick-up truck with no back-up camera: That's going to be awkward.

It’s really easy to back in, you just make sure you’re straight and that there’s air on either side of your rearview mirrors. The USS sensors are useless for me anyway because the frame of the garage door is narrow enough that the warning alway tells me I’m too close and to stop. I think if it’s less than about 6 inches you get the stop immediately warning. BTW i find it a lot easier to back in than back out especially if you are in a situation where you might be subject to vehicles crossing your path. I know for certain whether or not there are vehicles in the road when I pull into my house; It’s a little harder to see the road when I’m backing out.

I back into the garage to reach the charger, the cable wasn't as long as the new ones today are. The cameras plus mirrors make it easier and safer for me to back in than to drive forward into it. I completely ignore the US because they go nuts in the garage (so do my BMWs) making them useless.

I've never backed into a garage in my life. I kind of suck at backing into spots (usually takes me multiple maneuvers to do it) and I've never had a car that displayed USS distance before and never had an issue pulling into my garage space (I usually get the single door stall because of the narrow door). My car has USS but I just use the distance displayed sometimes as a reference. More often I use an outlet on the passenger side wall to lineup my car in the garage.

Honestly, parking distance sensors are pretty much useless in my garage. They go ape and provide almost no value, because everything in the garage is a couple feet away. If the Tesla had a geofenced option to disable parking distance at my house, I would do it. I park with mirrors, eyes, and cameras because I need to pull in and out closer to stuff than sensor systems are comfortable with.
Don't listen to them, you have to look at the screen. The screen seems to do a fair job.

Not really a complaint post about USS, but rather curious what are the preferred/optimal way people park their Tesla's especially without USS into a single car garage.

This question came to mind as I am trying to decide which side to install the charger or do I even want to install it inside the garage given the tight space.

My MYP is arriving this month and I think it's going to be a tight squeeze. Really wish it still had the self park and summon feature.
What did you do in your previous car? That is the most important. Either way works if you just use a piece of tape on your floor as a reference point (look at rear camera for where it is) for how far in you should pull in (such that you can open the trunk without hitting the garage door even with it open).

With my car with USS, I use the front USS measurement as the reference point, but I also check my rear camera too (and without USS I can rely on rear camera completely).