Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into pole no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are the driver and are responsible for knowing your surroundings.

I can’t believe how many people think backup sensors and autopilot mean they can just sit behind the wheel and not have to do anything.
Well that is an obvious truth. However, at times people make mistakes and my assumption is that sensors are there to help with that and give a Warning! We all make mistakes. And our M3 blasts us with the warning sound even when we are not even close to an object.

Reactions: Paulokc
The ultrasonics should beep if was say a tree or telephone pole pretty reliably. If it’s a fence post, mail box post, like 4” or less it may or may not, depending if it’s in a null between sensors. Cameras do not alarm.

You are the driver and are responsible for knowing your surroundings.

I can’t believe how many people think backup sensors and autopilot mean they can just sit behind the wheel and not have to do anything.
Never backed into anything in my life. The windows are so dark tint your can hardly see though them especially at the time of night it was. It was a wood pole with a backdrop of a stone building so blended in completely. Why bother with sensors if the don't work? 3 sensors on that corner of the car none picked it up. The Honda Accord we traded it for had a much more reliable system at half the price. We were on vacation in the place we live it's required that these poles are painted yellow but it was an old town that obviously had no codes.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and glide
If I'm understanding you correctly, you said there was a stone building behind the post. If so, I think the much greater mass of the stone building "fooled" the car into ignoring the post. I had a similar experience with the front of my car when it was new. I was pulling into a spot directly in front of a building. There were concrete slabs at the end of the parking spaces to prevent cars from hitting the building. My M3 was showing 18 inches of space left when the front bumper rode up over the concrete slab, badly scraping the bottom of the bumper. And sure enough, I was still about 18 inches from the building.
Yes I think this was the case here too.

The ultrasonics should beep if was say a tree or telephone pole pretty reliably. If it’s a fence post, mail box post, like 4” or less it may or may not, depending if it’s in a null between sensors. Cameras do not alarm.
It was right near the charging port 3 sensors within inches. It was a wood utility pole 12 inches around

Every few months we get a thread similar to this one, here, where it appears the thread starter is surprised the car did not do more to protect them from damaging the car themselves. This is similar, with the OP in this thread saying:

None of us were there, so we do not know what the OP heard or didnt hear other than them saying the car didnt warn them, but what we do know is, the car will not prevent a driver from doing something.
So this could have happened even in summon? The car hardware wouldn't change actually I don't even think if I paid for FSD if I could even use it in my area.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Every car out there has same warning in manual about shortcomings of ultrasound parking sensors. Specifically picking up poles, chains and curbs. Just admit that you screwed up and it is not a Tesla fault. And move on with your life.

Every car out there has same warning in manual about shortcomings of ultrasound parking sensors. Specifically picking up poles, chains and curbs. Just admit that you screwed up and it is not a Tesla fault. And move on with your life.

Every few months we get a thread similar to this one, here, where it appears the thread starter is surprised the car did not do more to protect them from damaging the car themselves. This is similar, with the OP in this thread saying:

None of us were there, so we do not know what the OP heard or didnt hear other than them saying the car didnt warn them, but what we do know is, the car will not prevent a driver from doing something.
Tesla wouldn't confirm or deny there was an alert at the time I would assume there wasn't or they would have shared that data.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi