Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera with home link glitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having their backup camera go blank while backing up b/c the home link screen comes up?

Im in an parking structure so my home link doesn't come on right away (as I imagine it would on a garage b/c of proximity)...it comes on as I approach the gate. I also have tandem parking and a tight parking garage so I have the unique privilege of having go reverse out of the garage. (Which is why the situation of home link popping up with backup camera popping up). .

glitch really is the best word b/c the backup camera goes blank for 1-2 seconds and then flashes back on.

Not a huge deal...but a glitch nonetheless....and I suppose 2 secs could still be dangerous....

I didn't realize the flicker happened when the Homelink widget expanded to show the button. Thanks for 'splaining! But mine goes blank--really, more like flickers or seems to repaint the camera part of the screen--for under a second; it's so quick I don't have time to react to it, really. If it happens for as long as 2 seconds for you, then I'd contact Tesla.

If you're concerned about accidentally hitting something, then use your mirrors or maybe just stop for 2 seconds? Does it happen reliably in the same exact spot, so you could anticipate it and pause before/just as it's happening? Just a thought.

Hope fully they're aware and will fix it; I didn't even think to report it but I'm going to e-mail Ownership to make sure they know.

I didn't realize the flicker happened when the Homelink widget expanded to show the button. Thanks for 'splaining! But mine goes blank--really, more like flickers or seems to repaint the camera part of the screen--for under a second; it's so quick I don't have time to react to it, really. If it happens for as long as 2 seconds for you, then I'd contact Tesla.

If you're concerned about accidentally hitting something, then use your mirrors or maybe just stop for 2 seconds? Does it happen reliably in the same exact spot, so you could anticipate it and pause before/just as it's happening? Just a thought.

Hope fully they're aware and will fix it; I didn't even think to report it but I'm going to e-mail Ownership to make sure they know.

Thanks for emailing ownership about this! Let me know what they say! Again...only 1-2 seconds so not too worried...but it's a glitch nonetheless and a little software update will likely do the trick.

My backup camera goes blank when I back out of my garage, it returns if I dismiss the drop down homelink buttons.

I find this annoying because I'm on the lookout for debris left in the driveway by the kids. I have to manually dismiss the homelink buttons and then drop them down again after I've backed up and ready to close the garage door.

Thanks for emailing ownership about this! Let me know what they say! Again...only 1-2 seconds so not too worried...but it's a glitch nonetheless and a little software update will likely do the trick.

I haven't heard back, but you should e-mail [email protected] yourself, BTW. I had to e-mail them a P.S. because actually, I paid more attention tonight, the Homelink drops down and that's not when I get the flicker/glitch; I get it a bit after that. So we may have slightly different issues. But I hope they fix both of them in a software update soon because I still do a double-take every time it happens, and your experience sounds much more annoying. ;-)

Any update on this issue? I find mine going blank and staying blank when I am near the garage. I was hosing off some pollen in the driveway and backing down without a camera because the homelink was on, trying to get me to open a garage door. I had not had this problem before with just regular use of the garage.

It looks like the camera video feed is done using a video-overlay, which is super-buggy. Sometimes it dissapears. Sometimes, it is in the wrong location (over the upper-half of the screen, while the "camera" app is in the lower). It's probably a driver-level issue.

Any update on this issue? I find mine going blank and staying blank when I am near the garage. I was hosing off some pollen in the driveway and backing down without a camera because the homelink was on, trying to get me to open a garage door. I had not had this problem before with just regular use of the garage.

This appears to happen when the Homelink drop-down box appears. I find that if i touch the blank (black) screen, the video will reappear, and the drop-down will go away. I do this routinely now, at least until it's fixed.

I'm having a slightly different problem with my Homelink and Back up camera interaction. When I back out of my garage the video window is not moving down to accommodate the drop down home link screen so my bottom 2 Home Link buttons are covered by video and I cannot even close my garage door until I shift into drive.

There is a white outline box that normally frames the rear view video perfectly when you are not near your home dealing with Home Link. When I'm backing out of the driveway I can see that the white outline box drops down below the Home Link window but the video itself it not dropping down and therefore covering 2 of my 3 Home Link buttons.