Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad 48 amp charge feature not included in battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Tesla Model 3 with LR RWD and after 2-years it was delivered in late July 2018. The only charging source I have ever used is the 50A at home charger that delivers 32 amps/32mph rate or a Supercharger when traveling. In 2020, I had my first opportunity to use a friends Tesla Wall Charger, but I only received 32 amps. I assumed there was a problem with the charger so I ignored it. I recently had my second opportunity to use a TWC and still did not get more than 32 amps even though my screen showed 48A max available. After some research, I suspected that my Tesla was only using 2 of the 3 16A blocks in my car. I can only conclude that my car was never capable of charging at 48A and that Tesla never tested this feature before it was delivered. Now, they want to charge nearly $1,800 for a service appointment. I believe this should also be part of the Battery Warranty, which is 10-years.

Has anyone dealt with this problem and, if so, how did you deal with it?

I purchased a Tesla Model 3 with LR RWD and after 2-years it was delivered in late July 2018. The only charging source I have ever used is the 50A at home charger that delivers 32 amps/32mph rate or a Supercharger when traveling. In 2020, I had my first opportunity to use a friends Tesla Wall Charger, but I only received 32 amps. I assumed there was a problem with the charger so I ignored it. I recently had my second opportunity to use a TWC and still did not get more than 32 amps even though my screen showed 48A max available. After some research, I suspected that my Tesla was only using 2 of the 3 16A blocks in my car. I can only conclude that my car was never capable of charging at 48A and that Tesla never tested this feature before it was delivered. Now, they want to charge nearly $1,800 for a service appointment. I believe this should also be part of the Battery Warranty, which is 10-years.

I've dealt with it. Like you, I had assumed that the problem was with the charging source when I first noticed it not getting more than 32 amps (while I do have a wall connector in my garage, for the most part I was charging my car outside using a nema 14-50 and I only noticed the issue whenever I used a wall connector somewhere else). The problem started before I had hit 50,000 miles...but I didn't bring it in (realize it was a problem with the car) until shortly after 50,000 miles. My vehicle logs should have shown the issue, but I ended up having to pay for the repair since they said that the 50,000 mile warranty on the car was up and this issue was not covered under the battery warranty.

I've dealt with it. Like you, I had assumed that the problem was with the charging source when I first noticed it not getting more than 32 amps (while I do have a wall connector in my garage, for the most part I was charging my car outside using a nema 14-50 and I only noticed the issue whenever I used a wall connector somewhere else). The problem started before I had hit 50,000 miles...but I didn't bring it in (realize it was a problem with the car) until shortly after 50,000 miles. My vehicle logs should have shown the issue, but I ended up having to pay for the repair since they said that the 50,000 mile warranty on the car was up and this issue was not covered under the battery warranty.
And how much did it cost you? I hope not $1800 like the OP's quote.

I read about this issue when my car was under two years old and the odometer was around 20K miles. After that, I made a point of finding a destination charger that operated at over 32A from time to time. My PCS board failed to charge at over 32A somewhere between 25K and 35K miles. Since the board has had three or more revs, hopefully the replacement boards will fair better. I am now reading a fair number of accounts of the front upper control arms needing to be replaced due to a squeaky ball joint. The upper control arms have been revved over ten times hopefully that problem has been resolved? Unfortunately, replacing the control arms will be on my dime as my Model 3 is over four years old.

Were their LR models that were RWD at one point? I thought all LR models were AWD.
There's a 2018 M3 LR RWD in the garage as I speak. The AWD cars showed up in 2019.

At the time, the SO wanted a SR; but the wait time was very, very long. Pay for the LR version (which, natch, cost more) and one could get it in a lot bigger hurry. We put our money where our mouth was in August, expected a delivery in December, but got called early in September with, "You want it now? You get it now!" during what appears to have been a delivery push.

We got it sans anything but it appears that Tesla threw in EAP for free. It's still going strong with 48k miles on it, FSD, and the Beta. The CPU got upgraded to R3.0 as part of the FSD program.

Range has decayed a bit since we got it. When it was new it showed some 320 miles or so with a full charge; that's now down to 265. But I've observed that long distance travel (Charge all the way up; discharge on the trip to a SC; charge to 80%; and keep on going) results in a higher listed mileage. It's been doing mostly local trips; it's probably around 280 if we, "reset" the battery gauge. Still, can get between here and Boston in one shot if needs be.

Sorry to hear about unfortunate event.

I have had the situation occur with my Model S. I recall it was around 65k in miles and about 14 months into ownership. Yes I am a high mile driver.

Tesla in my situation was willing to help, but not very much. Slight discount like 20% on the part, and full labor. Tesla did allow me to put in a 72 amp charger vs 48. Which took some engineering to help with. Which they didn't configure correctly, and almost left me on side of road on the way to service center to have reconfigured.

I really don't think you would get it covered under warranty. Maybe a little goodwill on the part because of your situational story. Tesla doesn't count many of the things you think are associated with the battery. It's really the battery. Not items in the battery penthouse. Or in your case the PCS (Power Conversion System)

I would say deal with it, as you have been for the length of ownership. Another story is a part that such as the master charger failing. My thought is you will see more of these stories, but hopefully less than the S. Which also has been rare.

Best of luck.

Edit: 2017 Model 3 LR owner

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
FYI, @Yanquetino is currently in arbitration with Tesla on this issue, making the argument that the high voltage battery warranty should cover these failures because the components in question on the 3/Y happen to reside within the high voltage battery enclosure instead of externally like the older S/X.

I’m doubtful of his chances for success, but something you’ll want to watch as it would go a long way toward setting a precedent.

Reactions: fiveten
There's a 2018 M3 LR RWD in the garage as I speak. The AWD cars showed up in 2019.

At the time, the SO wanted a SR; but the wait time was very, very long. Pay for the LR version (which, natch, cost more) and one could get it in a lot bigger hurry. We put our money where our mouth was in August, expected a delivery in December, but got called early in September with, "You want it now? You get it now!" during what appears to have been a delivery push.

We got it sans anything but it appears that Tesla threw in EAP for free. It's still going strong with 48k miles on it, FSD, and the Beta. The CPU got upgraded to R3.0 as part of the FSD program.

Range has decayed a bit since we got it. When it was new it showed some 320 miles or so with a full charge; that's now down to 265. But I've observed that long distance travel (Charge all the way up; discharge on the trip to a SC; charge to 80%; and keep on going) results in a higher listed mileage. It's been doing mostly local trips; it's probably around 280 if we, "reset" the battery gauge. Still, can get between here and Boston in one shot if needs be.
I too got my Model 3 2-years after I ordered it. And like you, I had to go with the Premium model in order to get it in 2018. I wanted dual motor, but that wasn't available until December 2018 and I was concerned I would lose my full EV credit.

Regarding full charge mileage status, I experienced the same problem you are having, but was able to retrain the system and got it back to 310 miles on a full charge.

Were their LR models that were RWD at one point? I thought all LR models were AWD.

I got my M3 LR AWD in May 2019. At the time, the M3 LR RWD, which they called the MR was available as a special order only. You could not do it on the website, but at a "showroom." I was interested in it due to the cheaper price, but in the end the wait for the MR and the fact I live in a snowy winter region, I opted for the LR AWD.