Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad, confusing, misleading delivery experience. Do NOT buy a used P90DL from Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They tried to do the same thing to me. Sign here and we'll take you to the car, I refused and told him I wanted to see the car first, they said it was in an area where customers aren't allowed so I told him, "it's a car, grab the key and drive it out front. I'll wait"

Same for me as well. Wanted me to just sign prior to inspection and had to put the breaks on that! They let me in the holding area to inspect. What I thought was strange the sales associate didn’t really showcase the care or the features. If I hadn’t already drove a couple model s I would have been clueless. However the car is great! Paid $51.3 for a fully loaded P85D with 34k on the speedo

Reactions: erik_k
Like when I talk to women, sometimes it's good to know if you are looking just to vent, or want to get things fixed?

Sure I just wanna vent, because I just had a bad day at work, not like I've spent a huge amount of money on a subpar car. Not sure what the 'talking to women' is about.

You have a car now that you paid for, and aren't happy. Sell it if it's that frustrating. Otherwise, fix forward.

Is that your best commentary, then? I feel like I've been misled, lied to, and literally swindled by a giant company with millions of fanboys, but 'sell if it's frustrating otherwise move on'.

How did you determine the 0-60 times for the vehicle? What tool / application did you use, and what methodology? There are many factors that can affect 0-60 including tire condition, weather and driver experience.

It was measured by the Dragy app under the same circumstances we measured a P100DL and a P85D both of which seemed to perform close to their advertised (and widely known) 0-60 speeds. Mine was almost 20% slower than advertised.

Spots as in "lint" or from discoloration of something like bleach?

Not quite sure - it definitely feels like lint but it's definitely attached firmly to the alcantara. It almost feel like the alcantara 'ruptured' and I'm seeing the cotton behind. Pretty sure that isn't how it is, but that's what it looks like.

Where (specifically) and what?

There is really, seriously, so many. I've just noticed a fourth one. One definitely comes from the drivers' side suspension, I can literally hear it creak. One comes from around what looks like the area inbetween the dome lights (right behind the camera). It stops when I hold onto that area really really tightly. One comes from the right side, shakes the windows. One comes from the back right side, I haven't been able to identify what it is, but it sounds like something's too 'tight' and bending and releasing. Not sure how to explain.

Without know the exact methodology that you used (and used the same that Tesla used) it would be difficult to understand how off things are. Well, how off are they ... specifically?

Tesla quotes 2.6 seconds. We have not been able to get below 3.09 seconds.

That's how buying a used car over the internet is - you don't get to see every singular inch.

Other people do. Tesla provides (right on their website) pictures that generally disclose dents and visible damage. I did not get these pictures. They sent me ones showing wheel damage but nothing else. In effect I never got to see the exterior of my car until I signed.

Someone can always argue "he said, she said" situations, unfortunately.

Not helpful, really. This is the central piece of the screwed-upness of the situation. I did the stupid move of signing before seeing the vehicle because the Tesla employee ensured me emphatically I could return the vehicle.

If find it interesting that, even after this experience, you'd consider a higher end P100DL.

A new car should be a better experience than this incredible mess. At least I know they DO have a 7 day return window for those cars.

I understand buyers remorse, particularly if your support structure defends your current negative attitude of the situation.

This is not buyers remorse. This is me being straight up lied to and in the end receiving a far inferior product to what I was promised. It's hard to believe in your giant post you are finding literally no fault in Tesla and keep blaming me for everything, and calling this buyers remorse. No wonder they can keep doing this. Keep it up, what can I say.

When these cars are all 10+ years old, the 90s, despite being a couple years newer, will probably have lowest values of all the big-battery cars (85, 90, 100 kWh).

It sounds like you got a car that the original owner didn't take very good care of, or just flat-out abused the snot out of; the way you describe the interior condition, it sounds like it was abused.

Knowing this doesn't help your situation much, but it might explain the high battery degradation you've got there.

Reactions: P85_DA and iqless
Enjoy venting. The whole point of that is how we deal with different people from different backgrounds (and expectations).

Some people want to fix things, and to make things better. Others just want an outlet and a venue to complain. This is often a core problem in relationships where the women want to vent in order to connect, but men actually just want to get on with fixing a problem.

Just google it.

I don't understand your assumption that I am just venting and not trying to make the situation better.

In terms of fixing the car. There is no amount of fixing this car that will make this OK for me. I was promised a certain level of performance and I am not even close to getting it. Short of changing batteries, which I know Tesla will never do, there is no way. The noise might be fixed, although they are charging me for it even just do get it diagnosed. I just bought this car from them! And the dents, scratches etc. also will probably not be fixable, and even if they were, they are background problems to me at this point, ones that just add insult to injury.

My battle right now is to return this car. What you are suggesting is I just forget about Tesla's ridiculously shady behavior throughout this thing, dab some red paint on the dents, duct tape the interior, and call it a day. I definitely will not do that.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Enjoy venting. The whole point of that is how we deal with different people from different backgrounds (and expectations).

Some people want to fix things, and to make things better. Others just want an outlet and a venue to complain. This is often a core problem in relationships where the women want to vent in order to connect, but men actually just want to get on with fixing a problem.

Just google it.

So..what are you suggestions for "fixing" the problem?

... and now Tesla has completely stopped responding to me, looks like. Last communication I got from them was last Friday morning. They said something like "we won't respond until you send pictures of the 'damage'' you're talking about" (they did use the quotation marks). Even though I repeatedly told them the cosmetic damages were really my Fourth Tier problems (first: performance, second: range, third: noise). They never ever responded to my main issue of somebody lying to me about the 'returns'.

I sent them like 15 pictures anyway and now they're not responding any more.

Amazing.

... and now Tesla has completely stopped responding to me, looks like. Last communication I got from them was last Friday morning. They said something like "we won't respond until you send pictures of the 'damage'' you're talking about" (they did use the quotation marks). Even though I repeatedly told them the cosmetic damages were really my Fourth Tier problems (first: performance, second: range, third: noise). They never ever responded to my main issue of somebody lying to me about the 'returns'.

I sent them like 15 pictures anyway and now they're not responding any more.

Amazing.

Sadly, time to lawyer up...

Jeff

Reactions: divemaster
Lol, within half an hour of my last post I got an email basically saying something like "I've told this to the necessary parties, waiting for review", so... nothing.

Sadly, time to lawyer up...

Jeff

That's what it looks like. I got a car that's 20% slower than they advertised. Even without anything else, I probably have some sort of a case with that.

I also just got a text from my service center, saying that they'd have to reschedule the appointment because they don't have the parts for the 1 thing that they due billed (wheel rash).

I also still don't have a charging cable...
I guess they'll give me that later, too.

Keep pestering. When I bought my pre owned, I had an issue with the photos not representing any bad scratches, including a very very long deep scratch in the rear quarter panel. I let them know that day and took a lot of photos. Kept getting the runaround, but I also just kept a log of the timeline of conversations. Now after about a month, they have finally taken it into the shop to take care of it.

Reactions: MikeBur
@DontDoIt Sorry to hear your account of your used P90D purchase. I appreciate your openness, candor and admitting where you know you could’ve done things differently. It’s unfortunate that rather than trust Tesla to be different, there’s a seeming decreasing set of expectations. For a long time Tesla has over promised, if not confused aspirations with facts, however this is a crucial stage in their development and there’s an overwhelmed staff not able to do as well as I know many want to. I don’t want them to fail, though I fear they are approaching crisis. Presuming you are polite, disciplined with conversation documentation and persistent, I still have confidence and hope that this will get resolved.

You might want to chat with Richie (@Btr_ftw) and his experience trying to buy a used model X:
(over 2M views). He did some great investigative journalism and highlights how Tesla’s reliance on a third party for photos and delivery leaves a lot to be desired. A bunch of this might be cost cutting and lowest bidder issues, though the Tesla-owned experience once it hits a service center has few excuses.
With over half a million subscribers (Yay!) due to his pragmatic approach and dogmatic politeness, he knows the right people inside Tesla who want to stop these types of awful experiences. Might be worth a PM.

Special shout out to @robg for his cheat sheet.

Finally, although it’s good to hear multiple opinions you can mute other people who you deem unhelpful, thereby increasing your signal to noise ratio. To do so click on the person’s profile and select mute.

Good luck and keep informed how you progress.

So..what are you suggestions for "fixing" the problem?

Some people just want to vent ... I let them vent. It's a learning experience for many - to figure out when venting (whining, griping, etc.) is appropriate.

And if they want help, how to get help. The moment I hear that someone wants to vent, I let them. It saves me and the world a whole lot of stress.

If (and not when) they learn to constructively ask for advice, how to produce or how to fix a problem, then that's different.

Notice, "fixing" the problem may be that the problem is with the hardware, or PEBKAC.

DontDoit said:
I don't understand your assumption that I am just venting and not trying to make the situation better.

Those are your own words. You may want to look back and see what I was quoting, I can repeat them...

"Sure I just wanna vent, because I just had a bad day at work, not like I've spent a huge amount of money on a subpar car."

... and now Tesla has completely stopped responding to me

I won't say "I would too" but it seems like an appropriate response.

I want a Tesla so bad I can't even describe it. But there are just too many stories like this and too many people waiting for parts to repair their cars that's been keeping me from taking the plunge and making a purchase. I think Tesla has gotten too big to fast and I will give them a few more years to get their act together. I wonder how many buyers out there feel the same way and have come to the same decision.

Reactions: KArnold
Those are your own words. You may want to look back and see what I was quoting, I can repeat them...

"Sure I just wanna vent, because I just had a bad day at work, not like I've spent a huge amount of money on a subpar car."

Learn how to understand sarcasm.

I won't say "I would too" but it seems like an appropriate response.

They did everything wrong and you're taking their side because, I guess I am being 'annoying' by asking for what I was promised.