Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to figure out if this was a noise on the car or road debris for a couple of weeks now (since the weather cooled off somewhat), this thread convinces me that it is not debris. Heard it today in slow traffic on the freeway, wasn't particularly cold (low 50's) hadn't dropped a lot of altitude. Guess I have to decide if it's worth the service call for what may or may not resolve the issue (based on others experience)

I've been trying to figure out if this was a noise on the car or road debris for a couple of weeks now (since the weather cooled off somewhat), this thread convinces me that it is not debris. Heard it today in slow traffic on the freeway, wasn't particularly cold (low 50's) hadn't dropped a lot of altitude. Guess I have to decide if it's worth the service call for what may or may not resolve the issue (based on others experience)
The first time I heard it, it sounded like I ran over something and it hit the underbody.

My M3 does this occasionally in cold weather when turning into driveways at an angle. Sounds like a big oil can popping. I figured it comes from torque on the battery pack...

That's interesting, I've had this happen maybe 2-3 times in the 6 months I've had the car, always when turning out of my driveway to the street. At first I thought I hit something or curbed the car but didn't see any damage or anything I would have run over. Seemed to happen when I was "gunning it" out of the driveway onto the street, I've been more careful to turn out more slowly.

Since it's so rare I haven't looked into it. Sounds like there's not much that needs to be done here though?

It's an issue with the design of the battery. Tesla is aware of this and has different breathers that allow the pack to balance the pressure more rapidly, but it still happens. Really not much you can do about it unfortunately. You can ask to have the updated breathers installed and it should help, but apparently its not a big deal aside from the rather jarring noise.

I've had it happen a few times when I was driving quite slow in snowy conditions, and it sounded like I hit something but there wasn't anything there.

Also have this issue, and can repeat it regularly on the hills/elevation change around my home in the cold conditions. Also had the breathers replaced at Tesla service center (only took an hour), and while it slightly changed the noises, they continue. I was also assured that this isn't really a problem.

I find that curious. If it makes a noise like something hit your car and isn't a problem, then there should be documentation to that effect, otherwise I'll be looking for the giant rock that hit under my car. And at the same time, there shouldn't be a need for a service bulletin to replace the breathers for ventilation purposes. Something just feels "off" here.

I had the loud bang when I first got my AWD in late October 2018. It happened a handful of times then stopped. However, I now have (since early summer) what is a more muted version that happens inconsistently but much more often (almost every drive). It sounds like a small rock is hitting under the car (like a dull knock). It happens whenever flex is put on the chassis (though very inconsistent and usually not repeatable). Tech at my service center declared it as chassis flex (but my SC lies so not sure if that opinion is correct). I've seen posts from others that have this similar knocking sound and their SC has said same thing and I guess it makes sense physics wise.

My current theory is that those loud bangs are compromising areas of the sheet metal. Once the space is created the louder sound goes away but you are left with a tin can that is slightly warped in areas and will pop occasionally when flex is put on them.

I really wish there was a solution for this knock because it is the only thing that really bothers me about the car.

Reactions: super20g
My June 1st, 2019 SR+ has a bad case of this, I am waiting for the parts to come in, hopefully soon. I find this fault quite unsettling, quality on cars is often a matter of illusion, BMWs have poor quality and reliability, but the doors shut with solid sound so people still buy them. The oil-canning noises breaks the illusion for me, my car just sounds cheap and I cringe when my passengers ask why my car in making all this noise. I hope the new breathers will work to at least to improve matters.

My June 1st, 2019 SR+ has a bad case of this, I am waiting for the parts to come in, hopefully soon. I find this fault quite unsettling, quality on cars is often a matter of illusion, BMWs have poor quality and reliability, but the doors shut with solid sound so people still buy them. The oil-canning noises breaks the illusion for me, my car just sounds cheap and I cringe when my passengers ask why my car in making all this noise. I hope the new breathers will work to at least to improve matters.
Just say it's the battery elves shovelling more fuel into the furnace.

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt and Can37
My model 3 does the same thing when supercharging here most recently, but keep in mind that only until recent has SoCal started to get "cold" weather. By cold I mean 50-60 degree but moreover, I've heard these thuds repeatedly during my supercharging sessions while the cooler weather has hit. I agree with others when it's reported that the sound is alarming.. cuz it is. I suppose it's a normal occurrence.

You should bang on the rear floorboard if you want another illusion breaker on M3 build quality. :) Sounds like a tin can.

I wonder how many cycles of the battery pack making the loud thud sound it takes before it causes an actual problem...

You should bang on the rear floorboard if you want another illusion breaker on M3 build quality. :) Sounds like a tin can.

Just discovered this yesterday, kids were jumping up and down after getting out of their car seats... Suffice it to say I was not expecting that. After they got out I gave the floor a nice open hand smack. Definitely a big metal sheet under there.

I am grateful for this thread, it's rare for our car, but whenever i heard the thud sound it was always this mind f*ck where I'm thinking I"swear the road was clear, how did i hit something that big."

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808