Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your statement that the glass roof is a security issue because thieves can possibly see your "stuff" makes me wonder if you consider all the other windows on the vehicle to also be a security issue.

Absolutely. I have them tinted darkest legal and stow any visible items out of sight.

would be hard-pressed to find a modern car that doesn't possess such a "security issue".

One would be foolish not to address them as police and insurance companies advise.

As for the "just a smaller Model S" complaint that you keep bringing up, I have to admit that your stance confuses me a bit and I think you have it exactly backwards.

A smaller Model X would have been more the volkswagen of the 21st century and the people's car is what Tesla intended with the Model 3. Families could make a Model X2 the family car competing with SUV's (today's station wagons) and vans which are probably 75% of the 21st century "family car". A Model X2 would cover 100% of the market while a Model 3 sedan covers 25%.

If Tesla in fact announces a Model X2 before my T3 ships, I'd probably wait.

A smaller Model X would have been more the volkswagen of the 21st century and the people's car is what Tesla intended with the Model 3. Families could make a Model X2 the family car competing with SUV's (today's station wagons) and vans which are probably 75% of the 21st century "family car". A Model X2 would cover 100% of the market while a Model 3 sedan covers 25%.

I believe that your mistake is when you equate "car for the masses" with "family car". A "car for the masses" would be a car that has appeal to the most amount of people possible; a car that has "mass appeal". A "family car" would be one that would appeal to the singular demographic of "family", which would automatically limit it's "mass appeal". The fact that you keep using the original Volkswagen as the template for a "car for the masses" only highlights your error, the original Volkswagen wasn't a "family car". Claiming that, it being the 21st century, somehow changes the dynamics of what constitutes a "mass appeal" vehicle would seem to be a further error on your part. For the shift to a "family car" being the vehicle with "mass appeal", that would require there to be a whole lot more families or families have become larger than they were in the past and the exact opposite is true.

The reality is, for a vehicle to be a "car for the masses", it has to appeal to the widest spectrum of the population as possible, such as college students, retirees, unmarrieds, empty-nesters, commuters, grandparents, parents, and yes, families. A small SUV or a station wagon is the exact opposite of that, they are niche vehicles. Just look up the top 20 best selling cars in the United States and the names your will see are Toyota Camry, Honda Civic, Nissan Altima, Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, Nissan Sentra, Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Malibu, etc., all of them are four-door sedans. The reason these cars are so popular is because they serve the exact purpose that you claim is needed most, they make serviceable "family cars", with enough room for Mom & Dad and the 1.87 children, but they are also great cars for Mom or Dad to commute to work in, but also small enough that someone without a bunch of kids will also be attracted. The reality is, that the majority of families are going to have at least two vehicles and at least one of those vehicles is going to be something like the Model 3, a four-door sedan that is more versatile than the big family hauler that they already own. Another key factor is that this is an electric car, where size really does matter. If you want an affordable 200-mile range vehicle, it's got to be a smaller vehicle.

I believe that your mistake is when you equate "car for the masses" with "family car".

Chuckle...and your "mistake" is not equating a family car with a car for the masses.

"If you want an affordable 200-mile range vehicle, it's got to be a smaller vehicle."

I don't and would not buy one. I want a 250 mile range minimum EV and big enough to tow my #4,600 boat. As Musk noted, most people will immediately upgrade to 250 miles and $42K.

I don't and would not buy one. I want a 250 mile range minimum EV and big enough to tow my #4,600 boat. As Musk noted, most people will immediately upgrade to 250 miles and $42K.
With the frontal area... This sounds like a $57,000 vehicle. It is really hard to make range work with SUV living room style upright seating. Maybe when batteries come down in price.

Chuckle...and your "mistake" is not equating a family car with a car for the masses.

I made no such mistake, in fact, I did just the opposite. I pointed out that the Model 3 will definitely have appeal to families, just as the top 20 best selling cars in the U.S. do, and they are almost all four-door sedans. What I also pointed out is that for it to truly be a "car for the masses" it has to appeal to more than just families. You, on the other hand, are using just one criteria and that is "family car". Nowhere did I imply that a "family car" wouldn't have appeal to a demographic other than "family", but I guarantee you, that appeal will be limited, and "limited appeal" is the exact opposite of "mass appeal". At least it does in all the dictionaries I own. :D

I believe you are indulging in personal bias here. The vast majority of the "masses" don't own boats, nor do they ski, nor surf. Not saying that nobody does these things, I'm just saying that they're not the predominate criteria for buying a car in the United States. As for upgrading to 250mi range, yes, I suspect that will be common, the 200mi range is a minimum criteria.

If Tesla in fact announces a Model X2 before my T3 ships, I'd probably wait.
What you are describing is commonly referred to as the Model Y, which will be an SUV/CUV based on the Model 3 platform (similar to how the Model X is based on the Model S platform). This has already been announced that this will be the next car Tesla will make.

What you are describing is commonly referred to as the Model Y, which will be an SUV/CUV based on the Model 3 platform (similar to how the Model X is based on the Model S platform). This has already been announced that this will be the next car Tesla will make.
"Announced" is a bit strong. A tweet from Elon, later deleted, does not constitute a formal announcement. Being from Elon, it is stronger than "rumored." I think I'd go with "hinted."

With the frontal area... This sounds like a $57,000 vehicle. It is really hard to make range work with SUV living room style upright seating. Maybe when batteries come down in price.

Current TX has greatest range of all Tesla's 294 miles. By 2019, I'd guess a 350 range for TX II. Key for towing. I'd go for $60K if it was AWD, 5,000# tow package, air suspension, zero package.

I want a 250 mile range minimum EV and big enough to tow my #4,600 boat.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of towing capacity the Model 3 ends up with. It's not something most people interested in a mid size sedan normally worry about having any capability of at all. The X is rated at 5,000 lbs., but was initially hinted at being closer to 10,000 lbs. Given its torque and horsepower, I'd have to think the lower rating is mostly to do with how the Bosal hitch receiver attaches, and possibly to temper complaints about towing destroying the range completely. Anyhow - 5000 lbs. on the 3 to match the torque of electric? Or something smaller like 1000-2000 lbs. to match expectations of the vehicle class?

It'll be interesting to see what kind of towing capacity the Model 3 ends up with. It's not something most people interested in a mid size sedan normally worry about having any capability of at all. The X is rated at 5,000 lbs., but was initially hinted at being closer to 10,000 lbs. Given its torque and horsepower, I'd have to think the lower rating is mostly to do with how the Bosal hitch receiver attaches, and possibly to temper complaints about towing destroying the range completely. Anyhow - 5000 lbs. on the 3 to match the torque of electric? Or something smaller like 1000-2000 lbs. to match expectations of the vehicle class?

Taking into consideration that the Torklift aftermarket towing bar for the Model S is rated up to 2000lbs, I would expect that any original factory-installed towing equipment would have at least that same rating. I think that a towing capacity in the 2500-3500lbs range wouldn't be a far-fetched notion.

Towing? I've never considered towing.

I don't see Audi A4's towing or BMW3's towing. Why do we want to tow with this car?
Inorite. Any towing capacity at all would be gravy on a Model 3 to me. I'm just prognosticating how close Tesla might come to @EaglesPDX 's mythical family Tesla that can tow a 4600 lbs. boat 250+ miles, fit skis, carry 5 people, and load in a months worth of groceries from Costco for said family. For $60k+, I think he said would be his target price range for said functionality (clearly expecting to pay for at least a battery upgrade on top of a base Model 3).

Inorite. Any towing capacity at all would be gravy on a Model 3 to me.

Gravy for you then as Musk has said the T3 will have a tow rating and setup.

I'm just prognosticating how close Tesla might come to @EaglesPDX 's mythical family Tesla that can tow a 4600 lbs. boat 250+ miles

Off the rails already, nothing about a 250 mile two range. If you read the messages we;d be expecting a 100 tow range max,

fit skis, carry 5 people

Must has confirmed both of those also.

load in a months worth of groceries from Costco for said family.

Musk says 7' surfboard so that should cover the groceries.

T3 with tow package, air suspension, extended range, AWD should come in around $50K.

I don't think you've been following Musk's comments about the T3 very closely.