Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

basic 70d anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85D with no options besides the kid's seats in the back. I love it.

There are plenty of options in this well appointed car without all the extra cash. I came from a top-of-the-line BMW M car and I am delighted to say I don't miss a thing about that car. My "base" Model S is light years ahead and has been nothing but perfect for me.

I have no desire for the autopilot stuff - If I am too lame to enjoy driving my own car, I hope someone will shoot me and put me out of my misery. Don't people buy this car because it is fun to drive with super torque? That is like going to your favorite restaurant and watching someone else eat your entree.

I have no desire for a pano roof - no thanks on the extra 150 pounds, more sun and heat. I can tell the difference in performance when I have a passenger in any car. 150 pounds is a passenger. Why have a permanent passenger? Don't those pano roofs leak sometimes too? You would pay extra for this?

I love the cloth seats after 15 years of cars with "premium leather".

I loved test driving the P85D - for about 10 minutes of insane mode. After 3 launches and 10 minutes, I felt just like I do when I ride the roller coaster with my kids three times. That is enough for the week. For me, paying $20K for insane mode would be an expensive way to show off, not something I would enjoy much alone in the car.

I could go on and on about each option and my reasons for not selecting them.

I love it that I don't have a car payment and the extra cash I would have spent on those expensive options of dubious merit and value is sitting in the bank.

Be happy with a 70D with no options. What a great car and what a smart move!

Last edited:
Great to see the forum come full circle in the short time I've been around. This is one of the first posts I read/replied to:

Why are people sweating the details?

The 70D is an awesome vehicle. No justification or excuses required.

Although I probably won't do a straight $75K order, I can see both sides of the coin on every single option. They're called Options for a reason.

Autopilot - while I do see the merit of TACC on long drives, basic CC is fine for me. Of all the technological advances in the MS, self-parking and future capability excites me the least. Definitely gets the press in a lather.

Premium Interior & Lighting - I struggle with this one. Really like the power lift gate & ability to preset the stopping point. Ambient lighting is pretty sweet. Leather armrest and the synthetic leather substitute headliner are meh to me (though it does seem like the headliner popping out issue is more common with the standard HL.)

Smart Air Suspension - gimmick with a nice show off factor but minimal increase in efficiency. Then again I don't encounter steep entryways that might help justify it. Expensive to repair LT (though to get to the coils you have to remove the battery pack.)

UHF - underwhelming, not a good value IMO. Not an XM satellite guy.

Subzero weather - heated steering wheel, awesome! Taking constant climate control requests from the rear passengers - SRSLY, Tesla? Who thought that was a good idea?

RFS - for all the ventilation issues, my kids REALLY want this. I have a feeling I'll regret giving up the carrying capacity.

Pano - could go either way, but for bikes/skis I may want the option to install a roof rack.

Wheels - If I were younger maybe I would GAF. Probably not. In terms of comfort, significant differential in tread wear, upfront and repair cost, easy choice for me. This is really, really important to some people, which baffles me. Base 19". Easiest decision of all.

Seats - problem area throughout the history of Tesla. They've never quite gotten the lumbar support right. NG is an improvement but it's not all that & a bag of chips. Quality of the leather / wear factor is disappointing. I started out thinking NG all the way, contemplating just getting textile. But I dislike black. This is a tough call.

Décor - the kids want piano black. I like matte or CF. probably defer & save $ here - just not crucial enough to sweat it. I actually find all four attractive in different ways.

HL - see above. If I get PI&L, likely go white. I like the open feel combined with the pano.

The 70D is a tremendous car, in any configuration. I honestly think you have to back to the '65 Mustang to find a car as universally admired and loved as the Model S.

We got some options (next gen seats, pano roof, auto pilot) but skipped the premium interior upgrade. IMO none of those upgrades are "necessities." Only thing I wish we've gotten is the power lift gate. We're used to slamming the trunk down with one hand and expect it to close, but the MS tailgate require a bit more effort to close properly.

FWIW, I appreciate the fact that different things are important to different people. I'll be putting my order in during the latter half of July and while I am confident in the configuration I'm going to go with, I'll be second guessing everything when the time comes.

Jeff

Is Autopilot activation tax-free if you do it after delivery?

Dude, you are my idol. I can't believe I never thought of that. Hats off.
I don't know the answer to that Q, but activation afterwards costs $500 more.
I doubt tax alone offsets the $500. There may be other considerations though.
Still, I am disappointed that I never even thought of that. I need to sharpen my game!

Last edited:
First post here: Ordered a S 70D for August delivery with the following options:
Pano roof: Not sure if it actually provides more headroom, but sitting in one without it was claustrophobic (and I'm only 5'9"). Got it purely for the headroom and more open feeling cabin, but I'm sure I'll enjoy opening it once in a while.
Leather Nex Gen seats: Base seats seemed like they had no support whatsoever, and whatever that base material is, it felt like I would hate it in about 200 miles. Would've preferred a high quality cloth.
Premium interior: Got this purely for the nicer headliner (in black) and the power lift gate. The base headliner looks identical to the one in my base, no-option Mini Cooper- that is to say: Cheap and ugly. The power lift gate is more for my wife, who will be the primary driver. The cornering lights are a nice plus as well.
Carbon Fiber trim: The shiny black base trim looks ok but it also looks like it would scratch very easily.

The base 70D is the best deal, no doubt, but the interior does not look like it belongs in a $75K car. If it doesn't bother you, then it is the smart buy.
Just my opinion.

Dude, you are my idol. I can't believe I never thought of that. Hats off.
I don't know the answer to that Q, but activation afterwards costs $500 more.
I doubt tax alone offsets the $500. There may be other considerations though.
Still, I am disappointed that I never even thought of that. I need to sharpen my game!

At least in Georgia, we have a 7% TAVA tax. Autopilot being $2500 means that it adds $175 to the TAVA tax, so to me, it doesn't come anywhere near to offsetting the price. (And, at least for me, TACC comes in handy immediately. It's not about not enjoying the instant torque, it's more about not being stressed on frequent long drives.)

Careful on your specific state sales tax rules regarding activating Autopilot aftermarket. The answe depends on which state you in; software rules are anything but unified. DO NOT rely on the opinion of your DS.

It's not a huge issue - $150 in a 6% state, 221-237 in NY/CA - but I hate misinformation on the forums.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember that thread popping up, and I remember losing a little bit of faith in humanity that afternoon. :)

I believe that was the same fellow who started the "You guys really whip out your CHAdeMO at the Nissan dealer" thread the same day. That was the last two threads he participated in; maybe he moved on to Reddit.

TMC is a great collaborative community. I've learned much here.