TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery charging to "102%"?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gordo, Aug 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gordo

gordo Member

You know that scene in "This is Spinal Tap" where the guitarist is explaining that a particular amp goes to '11' and Rob Reiner asks him why not just make 10 louder? Clearly, Tesla UI Engineers know what I'm talking about, but I have the reverse question with regards to the way my car counts backwards from 100% charge...

When I left for a trip last weekend, I pulled the plug at '100%', but with about 10 minutes estimated to go on a 64amp charge -- so not even a *full* 100%. But I'll be damned if the car didn't sit at 100% for like the first 5 miles or so before counting down normally after it hit 99%. It's as if the car actually charges to like 102% or so. Is this normal, and if so can someone explain why the percentage point between 100 and 99 would appear to defy the laws of the mathematics/physics/the universe?

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

It is just that is difficult for BMS exactly say, when the battery is 100% full. So 100% isn't exactly 100%.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

My A type pack is probably way out of balance as it charged up to only 231 miles on a full charge, but did not lose any rated miles until I had driven 19.5 miles.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not in my experience. My car usually starts dropping miles immediately. Sometimes I'll lose the first mile just a couple of blocks from home.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Opposite of me. Not that I'm willing to try, but maybe I see those miles when my car reaches "0" (i.e. I can go another 20 after it hits 0).

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Mine does this as well and there have been detailed discussions about why it happens. Last time I charged to 100%, it didn't start going-down until about 7 or 8 miles of driving.

6. Vip

Vip Member

Mine did the same just a couple of months ago. But after the first 5-7 miles it seem to have gone down a little quiker than normal. Thought everything was just balancing out.

7. ozweepay

ozweepay Member

This is likely done in software where if the charge exceeds some threshold, the software displays "100%." That way, if the battery ages a little and loses some capacity, it will still be possible to get it to "100% charge". I think the emotional impact of not being able to reach "100%" in a few years would be severe, so the software helps you out.

8. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

A pack here with 60,000 km and two years in. Supercharged to 100% recently and drove away when SOC was 100% and rated was near 410 km, but car was still charging at 12A 3xxV, so not "completely full".
    Drove 7 km before rate range started dropping.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

This is why saying "I lost a mile of range" just because the battery charged to x instead of x+1 means nothing. Predicting range remaining is difficult. There's going to be variation.

10. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

The first time I range charged in my S85D, I got 278 miles of rated range on the screen. It's EPA tested for 270. Of course, since then, I now get about 262 RM at 100% after 17,000 miles.

- K

11. KevinMS

KevinMS Member

Went on vacation to the Oregon Coast last week. Put a range charge on my Type A pack (first time in about a year) both going and coming back. Got EXACTLY the same characteristics, 230 rated miles and drove 15 before any reduction. Ideal was 265 miles. As others have stated, I suspect the software is a little off. But I generally arrive at the destination with the margins expected.