Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charging to "102%"?

gordo

Jan 16, 2015
CA
You know that scene in "This is Spinal Tap" where the guitarist is explaining that a particular amp goes to '11' and Rob Reiner asks him why not just make 10 louder? Clearly, Tesla UI Engineers know what I'm talking about, but I have the reverse question with regards to the way my car counts backwards from 100% charge...

When I left for a trip last weekend, I pulled the plug at '100%', but with about 10 minutes estimated to go on a 64amp charge -- so not even a *full* 100%. But I'll be damned if the car didn't sit at 100% for like the first 5 miles or so before counting down normally after it hit 99%. It's as if the car actually charges to like 102% or so. Is this normal, and if so can someone explain why the percentage point between 100 and 99 would appear to defy the laws of the mathematics/physics/the universe?

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Not in my experience. My car usually starts dropping miles immediately. Sometimes I'll lose the first mile just a couple of blocks from home.

- - - Updated - - -

My A type pack is probably way out of balance as it charged up to only 231 miles on a full charge, but did not lose any rated miles until I had driven 19.5 miles.

Wow. Opposite of me. Not that I'm willing to try, but maybe I see those miles when my car reaches "0" (i.e. I can go another 20 after it hits 0).

This is likely done in software where if the charge exceeds some threshold, the software displays "100%." That way, if the battery ages a little and loses some capacity, it will still be possible to get it to "100% charge". I think the emotional impact of not being able to reach "100%" in a few years would be severe, so the software helps you out.

SmartElectric

Jul 9, 2014
Toronto,Canada
My A type pack is probably way out of balance as it charged up to only 231 miles on a full charge, but did not lose any rated miles until I had driven 19.5 miles.

A pack here with 60,000 km and two years in. Supercharged to 100% recently and drove away when SOC was 100% and rated was near 410 km, but car was still charging at 12A 3xxV, so not "completely full".
Drove 7 km before rate range started dropping.

Went on vacation to the Oregon Coast last week. Put a range charge on my Type A pack (first time in about a year) both going and coming back. Got EXACTLY the same characteristics, 230 rated miles and drove 15 before any reduction. Ideal was 265 miles. As others have stated, I suspect the software is a little off. But I generally arrive at the destination with the margins expected.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC