Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price will go up. They will sell remaining vehicles in inventory with no discount to suckers.

Why would prices go up? Project Roadrunner (1Mmile) is supposed to be much cheaper to produce. And thus, why wait to implement on the exact date of battery Day?

Prices will change to reflect any advancements related directly to consumer experience - range/features/performance etc. I very much suspect battery improvements dont qualify for that for two reasons: first, Teslas batteries are already expected to last for the lifetime of the car, assuming "normal" non-Tesloop usage. Second, Elon already cut out the part of the hype concerning a massive increase in kWh/kg stating a 60% increase is possible over the next 3-4 years. That is a huge disappointment.

And to elaborate on the second point, since the purported breakthrough is then not about range, it must be about performance. And since even V3 SC seem to be constrained by thermal throttling on the charger side, I suspect this is about discharging performance - an area Tesla has been shown to be underwhelming in since the Taycan came around.

Battery Day will thus likely mostly cater to performance enthusiasts. Plaid will most likely cost more, but not everyone is interested.

Reactions: apfleisc
I am waiting for my new X and think getting it now or after battery day will not manner.
Keep in mind that Battery day was initially planned in April so any change positive for the “normal” Tesla X and S is probably incorporated in the last months. Agree that probably performance vehicles will be upgraded, and 3 and Ys.

Why would prices go up? Project Roadrunner (1Mmile) is supposed to be much cheaper to produce. And thus, why wait to implement on the exact date of battery Day?

Prices will change to reflect any advancements related directly to consumer experience - range/features/performance etc. I very much suspect battery improvements dont qualify for that for two reasons: first, Teslas batteries are already expected to last for the lifetime of the car, assuming "normal" non-Tesloop usage. Second, Elon already cut out the part of the hype concerning a massive increase in kWh/kg stating a 60% increase is possible over the next 3-4 years. That is a huge disappointment.

And to elaborate on the second point, since the purported breakthrough is then not about range, it must be about performance. And since even V3 SC seem to be constrained by thermal throttling on the charger side, I suspect this is about discharging performance - an area Tesla has been shown to be underwhelming in since the Taycan came around.

Battery Day will thus likely mostly cater to performance enthusiasts. Plaid will most likely cost more, but not everyone is interested.
Price will go up because it can. It’s new tech coupled with a potential refresh of the S/X.

People will pay more regardless of what it costs Tesla to produce.

• Funny
Reactions: Olle and Tehfds
Price will go up because it can. It’s new tech coupled with a potential refresh of the S/X.

People will pay more regardless of what it costs Tesla to produce.

Wrong. Tesla are losing market shares in most of EU and have generally lost the lead on specific points like charging speed and repeated launches. Even range is not best-in-class when Lucid Air comes out.

Teslas have consistently dropped prices over the last few years, as has every other EV manufacturer. E-tron dropped almost 10.000USD a few months back and Tesla can't afford to let the prices go up unless specifically on the niche extreme-performance. I suspect Plaid won't be standard.

"New tech" needs to serve a purpose to have people pay more. As I wrote before, the range doesn't seem to be markedly increased as per Elons post about density improving gradually over 3-4 years. What else would you think could justify a price rise in regards to battery tech if not range?

And why would a refresh be more expensive? Facelifts and revisions of existing ICE cars aren't.

Wrong. Tesla are losing market shares in most of EU and have generally lost the lead on specific points like charging speed and repeated launches. Even range is not best-in-class when Lucid Air comes out.

Teslas have consistently dropped prices over the last few years, as has every other EV manufacturer. E-tron dropped almost 10.000USD a few months back and Tesla can't afford to let the prices go up unless specifically on the niche extreme-performance. I suspect Plaid won't be standard.

"New tech" needs to serve a purpose to have people pay more. As I wrote before, the range doesn't seem to be markedly increased as per Elons post about density improving gradually over 3-4 years. What else would you think could justify a price rise in regards to battery tech if not range?

And why would a refresh be more expensive? Facelifts and revisions of existing ICE cars aren't.
R&D. And yes, refreshes of ICE cars are often more expensive. Do you think a Honda Civic is more or less expensive today than it was in 1998 when factoring for inflation?

• Funny
Reactions: Tehfds
R&D. And yes, refreshes of ICE cars are often more expensive. Do you think a Honda Civic is more or less expensive today than it was in 1998 when factoring for inflation?

I guess you don't get to 2k+ posts by writing with substance. "R&D" just doesn't remotely cut it for adressing my post. My points are valid, your point isn't even one.

And about the Civic, apart from "who cares about your cherry picked case", I'm quite sure the price still is within 10% over the course of those 22 years. Which is entirely negligible, and solely bolsters my argument: Refreshes don't appreciably change the price of a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I guess you don't get to 2k+ posts by writing with substance. "R&D" just doesn't remotely cut it for adressing my post. My points are valid, your point isn't even one.

And about the Civic, apart from "who cares about your cherry picked case", I'm quite sure the price still is within 10% over the course of those 22 years. Which is entirely negligible, and solely bolsters my argument: Refreshes don't appreciably change the price of a car.
R&D isn’t a valid reason for a price hike on a newly introduced product? Ooookay.

I chose the civic as an example because, and I’m not sure if you understand this being inside your Tesla bubble, it’s a fairly popular vehicle in terms of sales.

Feel free to provide your own example with Toyota, Porsche, BMW, whoever.

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle and Tehfds
Glide: R&D isn't a money printing machine? (paraphrasing)

It's not, unless the product has a clear functional advantage over the previous product. Otherwise I'll just start myself an R&D department reinventing the wheel. Only time will tell if Teslas new tech will be worth a price hike, see my first post for reasons why that might not be the case. Also see it for further reasons why Tesla in times of increasing competition should, and most likely will, lower prices instead.

You chose the Civic but didn't provide any data. Feel free to check out this link for a Civic price history: A Price History of the Honda Civic Si | Honda Parts Online Blog | HondaParts

It doesn't contain your specific '98 model but from 2003 to 2017 the price fell. Thank you for that data point.

Also here is one from VW. VW Golf 40-Year Price History Points To Brand Consistency | Carscoops

Spoiler: it's also not appreciably more expensive over the last 40 years.

Feel free to provide anything other than your anecdotal evidence that didn't even hold true.

Oh and by the way, the Civic being a "fairly popular" vehicle doesn't really have any bearing on the model being consistent in spec, customer base etc. over 22 years. In effect I would much rather own a Skoda today than 2-3 decades ago.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
R&D isn’t a valid reason for a price hike on a newly introduced product? Ooookay.

I chose the civic as an example because, and I’m not sure if you understand this being inside your Tesla bubble, it’s a fairly popular vehicle in terms of sales.

Feel free to provide your own example with Toyota, Porsche, BMW, whoever.

Just to make sure you see my message from your '98 Civic bubble.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Prices will not change a week before the end of quarter during the delivery rush or they'd have a mess on their hands. Either this day will not be something specific going into their vehicles soon or it's already happened and all cars are already made with it.