Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery doesn't charge to 100% and low charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My $.015 worth - yes, I’m capped at 98% and “lost” 7miles of range due to batterygate.
While I’m not happy about it just like everyone else, it’s due to being more cautious from a safety perspective so I’m learning to be ok with it. We were all used to full charge, etc. and now something’s been taken away. I get it. However, if I look at the other brands/cars (iPace, eTron, Taycan, etc.) they cap/reserve some percentage of the battery to begin with hence some of the bad press about lower range (on top of their inefficient packs).
The biggest pain point for me is the marked neutering of the SuC rates as that has a direct impact on my travel times vs 98% cap/loss of 7mi rated range. Again, not saying I agree with what Tesla did, but would be happy with getting SuC rates back to the old days and live with the other stuff.
As Chaserr already pointed out it’s not due to safety concerns, that’s just something some people said on here and others ran with it.
Let’s be honest, the real reason is Tesla just trying to limp these older batteries to the finish line without having to replace them under warranty.

As Chaserr already pointed out it’s not due to safety concerns, that’s just something some people said on here and others ran with it.
Let’s be honest, the real reason is Tesla just trying to limp these older batteries to the finish line without having to replace them under warranty.
For my P85D, the current 98% charge shows 229 rated miles, so ~91% from new. When I bought it, 100% was 241 (prev owner must’ve not followed good charging BKMs), so I’ve lost an addtl 12 miles due to batterygate (7mi) and 98% limit (5mi). Like I said earlier, I’m not siding with them regarding this. Just more annoyed at the SuC throttling.

Last edited:
Does Tesla reset the charge rate after a replacement battery? Or is it for life?
I can't believe that even Tesla would knobble a replacement battery just for the sake of it. From the threads I have seen where betteries have been replaced, the capacity usually goes up to whatever the new battery is spec'd at.

Have any of you seen that maybe after a full charge to 98% or 100% whatever your car does these days, that it’s stays on the same available range displayed on IC for much longer than it should typically?
It has been discussed that Tesla is simply trying to “design” in a new reference for the 100% value to allow for a small percentage of battery that isn’t used. By doing this customers don’t really see the “degradation” going forward as seen in the first year of a new car before leveling off.
I’ve seen this demonstrated ina few videos(Bjorne for one)

I may not be saying this clearly or very eloquently but hopefully someone can chime in with more knowledge of the subject.

What in tarnation!? Hows that possible?
How would tesla justify selling a brand new car with supercharging throttled from the get go, when they advertise supercharging speeds up to 200kWh ....
I was specifically told by Tesla in Fremont that my battery was capped and if I wanted to get the new range I would have to purchase the upgrade because it is a hardware issues.....That's why I have been so busy trying to find out exactly what my car has been configured to....17 Jan 2020 build date and “F” type battery....

I am hoping I am set up for a software range upgrade and I am now on 2020.8.1.....new 2020.8.1.1 out today....

Today I charge to 90% and still get only 320 miles range......that is not equal to a 100kWh battery when charging to 90%.....my 370 rated 100kWh battery should give me 335 miles, not 320

Last edited:
I was specifically told by Tesla in Fremont that my battery was capped and if I wanted to get the new range I would have to purchase the upgrade because it is a hardware issues.....That's why I have been so busy trying to find out exactly what my car has been configured to....17 Jan 2020 build date and “F” type battery....

I am hoping I am set up for a software range upgrade and I am now on 2020.8.1.....new 2020.8.1.1 out today....

Today I charge to 90% and still get only 320 miles range......that is not equal to a 100kWh battery when charging to 90%.....my 370 rated 100kWh battery should give me 335 miles, not 320
I’m confused, are they throttling your supercharging speed or your max battery capacity is lower than advertised?

I’m confused, are they throttling your supercharging speed or your max battery capacity is lower than advertised?
yes, you are........I don't recall saying my charge speed/rate was reduced.......I did say Tesla in Fremont told me my battery was capped at 98% and I have listed the miles I get at various percentage charging levels in earlier posts........

currently I get 320 miles when I charge to 90%.....that equates to a battery that is capped at 98%

again: my car should get 373 miles at 100% charge........at 98%, which is what my car is capped to, I should get 365 miles.........If I charge to 90%, I should be getting 335 miles, but I only get 320 miles....

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
yes, you are........I don't recall saying my charge speed/rate was reduced.......I did say Tesla in Fremont told me my battery was capped at 98% and I have listed the miles I get at various percentage charging levels in earlier posts........

currently I get 320 miles when I charge to 90%.....that equates to a battery that is capped at 98%

again: my car should get 373 miles at 100% charge........at 98%, which is what my car is capped to, I should get 365 miles.........If I charge to 90%, I should be getting 335 miles, but I only get 320 miles....
Actually that’s exactly what you said, user Tam was asking what the magic number was for supercharging throttling and you replied

ill bet if you got free supercharging they do it from the get-go like with me......ill bet thats exactly what they are doing from the factory......

Actually that’s exactly what you said, user Tam was asking what the magic number was for supercharging throttling and you replied
I was speaking to the “not going past 98% charge level" and mentioned that at the Irvine supercharger charges my car slower".......sorry if I confused you......I am not trying to argue, but what I have described is what is happening to my vehicle with regards to range and battery capping and that at one particular supercharger, my charging seems to be slower than at other superchargers.....could be that all spots are filled up......

Search Chargegate on this forum for more info. Your SuC seems exceptionally low.

Get Teslafi or a canbus reader to keep records of what your batt and BMS is doing. SMT will show total charges and discharges. My guess is you will be getting a replacement battery well within the warranty.

Hi, thanks for your answer!!

I never used teslafi, can i use the data from teslafi to push them to recognize that something is wrong in my battery?

I didn't know about the Chargegate/Batterygate... I don't know if i have to be happy that I'm not the only one or give up becouse they will never fix the problem, since many cars are involved

That's the problem right there! Tesla would restrict the charging speed due to the overuse of Fast DC Charging including Tesla Supercharger brand. It's possible that the previous owner used Fast DC Charging a lot.

Sorry that I can't help you but thanks for bringing this particular issue of used Tesla.

That's why i'm really angry with them!
If they were a serious company they should inform the customers when they buy a new car but especially a pre owned car... becouse they know the state of the vehicles!

I mean is ridiculus that i buy a car and after 2 years they change the specifications on it!

I had the issue of my battery not charging to 100%. As per service center's advice, drain the battery to as low as you can, and then slow charge using LEVEL1 (normal wall outlet) all the way to full. its going to take 2-3 days to full charge on lvl1. It fixed my issue. good luck

I'm happy that you fix your problem!
I did this test already with no good results... the charge stopped at 96%...
P3-96%.jpeg

It's not safety though. It's illegal for them to limit you due to safety without telling you in writing and reporting it to the NHTSA for a recall evaluation. You're limited but not for safety, or if it is for safety you want them to conform to the law (which disallows limiting performance for safety, you'd get a properly functioning battery)

I totally agree with you!
They limited the top of the battery and slow down the charging speed to protect the battery...!
To prevent to change all the old batteries, that probably will not last before the warranty expired, without limiting the charging speed.

The guy of the front office at service center told me "this issue is not covered by warranty, if you want to fix it you can buy a new battery or a new car"

I don't know why i didn't punch him on the face... ;)

Reactions: Chaserr
I totally agree with you!
They limited the top of the battery and slow down the charging speed to protect the battery...!
To prevent to change all the old batteries, that probably will not last before the warranty expired, without limiting the charging speed.

The guy of the front office at service center told me "this issue is not covered by warranty, if you want to fix it you can buy a new battery or a new car"

I don't know why i didn't punch him on the face... ;)
It not the folks at the SC that are the problem. It is Tesla Management. "The fish rots from the head"

The real problem is service of any sort is going to be nigh impossible now.