Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery draining fast - new 2020 M3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many people with year-old cars with less than 290 rated miles remaining, even in warm weather. You can look in the master thread here for the distributions. Whether it is “real” is a separate question - though I can assure you it is real in the sense that these people most certainly can travel a shorter distance - they have less energy available.

The batteries in Model 3 are new and different, as compared to Model S. This does not necessarily mean they are better, and it certainly means their aging characteristics may be different.

Time will tell - but for now we just have the data we have, from Stats app and similar data compilation services.

My 90% in my Model 3P with 17,500 miles is 273. I made a post about having a "unicorn" model 3 because I just charge to 90% every day, plug in when I get to my garage, and dont really think about it (and have a 80 mile total round trip to work and back every day) That was in October, and I had 279 at 90% then. About 2 weeks after I made the "I must have a unicorn" post, my 279 dropped to 273 over the period of about 3 days, and stayed there.

So, since mid to late October, I have 273 miles at 90% . It still appears to me that many (but not all) of those with less either have some sort of "charging regimine", or, charge "every few days", or charge to something less than 90%. Not all, but most.

So, I have "lost" 6 miles, in 1 year / 17.5k miles. Many others show some other result.

One last noob question. If I were to tell my car to charge to 100% using the app on my phone, it says I would get 306 miles of range. Is that based on EPA range, my driving efficiency, the cold weather, or? The car has advertised range of 320 miles, had the car for 5 days and already I’m down 15 miles???

thanks for helping out a worried novice!

The car has advertised range of 320 miles, had the car for 5 days and already I’m down 15 miles???

See the master battery thread here and the thread about 322 mile range. The miles shown are an indicator of how much energy you have available, but you have to know the size of each “mile” to have the number have significance.

Vehicles have not generally been updated to show 322 miles at a full charge yet (which is likely just a change of units not an actual change though there could be an efficiency change). So you have lost 4 miles from the 310 original. But that is likely due to cold - in cold weather your battery has less energy that it can release.

Reactions: BBBC
My tesla app had a message in it last night. Clicking on the message takes you to a short statement from tesla about vehicle range, with a "learn more" link. Clicking on THAT link takes you to a tesla official statement on range. I am going to post it here, and also create a separate post that I will ask the mods to sticky, as it is tesla's official statement on vehicle range. I know that most people will not click the "learn more" link, but will instead come to message boards like this one to see if something is wrong with their car, vs looking for information from tesla itself.

I think its good that everyone start from "what the manufacturer says" so there is a common ground. Couple things....

1. Model 3 does not have a "range mode". Its mentioned below for S/X, but so there is no confusion, there is no range mode for model 3.
2. Since there is no air suspension option in model 3, there is no need to have it on the lowest setting.

==========================================
Link to tesla website with this information: Range

Range

Tesla cars travel farther on a single charge than any other production electric vehicle on the market. You can view the range of your car on your touchscreen or in the Tesla app. Your Tesla continuously monitors its energy level and proximity to known charging locations to provide range assurance.

The estimated range depends heavily on factors such as driving habits, elevation changes and weather conditions. To maximize efficiency, it is important to know the factors that impact range and the recommended ways to reduce energy consumption.

What Impacts Energy Consumption?
Like all cars, there are a number of factors that increase energy consumption and reduce range:

• High driving speeds
  • High cabin air conditioning or heating usage
  • Low ambient temperatures
  • Inclement weather such as rain, snow and headwinds
  • Stop-and-go driving
  • Short trips
  • Uphill travel
Driving while your battery is very cold or charged above 90% can also impact range due to limited regenerative braking. This reduces the amount of energy that can be transferred back into your battery.

To see real-time and projected energy use, open the Energy app on your touchscreen. The Energy app provides feedback on how your driving habits are impacting the expected range of your vehicle and tracks your usage.

Recommendations to Maximize Range
To maximize the range of your Tesla:

• Maintain your vehicle's tire pressures. Inflation recommendations are listed inside the drivers-side door jamb.
  • Remove unnecessary cargo to lighten your load – more weight requires more energy to move the vehicle.
  • Remove roof racks or rear racks when they are not in use.
  • Reduce aerodynamic drag. Fully raise all windows and change air suspension (if equipped) to “Low” or “Very Low” when driving at highway speeds, For Model 3 cars with aero wheels, install aero wheel covers.
  • Avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Driving at high speeds or rapidly accelerating uses additional energy.
  • Limit the use of resources such as heating, signature lighting and air conditioning.
  • Set your Regenerative Braking to “Standard” to maximize energy you get back while decelerating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?
The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Why does estimated range decrease overnight while my car is off?
It is expected for a Tesla car to consume around 1% of charge per day while parked. In some cases, you may notice that consumption is higher. We recommend deactivating features such as preconditioning, Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, and any aftermarket equipment when not needed.

Note: Aftermarket equipment connected to the 12V system and/or third party mobile applications which collect data about your vehicle can decrease range while parked and reduce the battery lifespan. Tesla does not recommend using aftermarket equipment, and any damage to your vehicle's hardware or software resulting from unauthorized access to vehicle data through non-Tesla parts or accessories is not covered by warranty.

What is Range Mode?
In Model S and Model X, Range Mode conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. For more visit our New Owner Frequently Asked Questions.

Does outside temperature impact range?
Yes. Range can be impacted by extreme cold or hot temperatures; however, the impact will seem far more noticeable in cold weather. Tesla high voltage batteries are regulated to keep the battery temperature within optimal boundaries. Even if the vehicle is not being operated, the high voltage battery temperature is monitored and regulated to prolong its lifespan and performance – this is why you may notice the compressor running even while parked. See our Winter Driving Tips for more information.

======================================

Worth emphasizing some subtlety here. It appears to me there is the “general” term of “estimated range” in this info from Tesla. This is an umbrella term applying to EITHER the projected range OR the battery gauge.

Tesla said:
The estimated range depends heavily on factors such as driving habits, elevation changes and weather conditions

First they say it depends on driving habits. But this does NOT mean that the battery gauge is dependent on driving habits - since that “estimated range” is an umbrella term.

Tesla said:
The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range.

So that is very clear and is consistent with our understanding. The displayed battery gauge range is NOT dependent on driving habits and is an estimate of energy available scaled to the EPA tests.

Tesla said:
To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

This is where the other meaning of the umbrella term “estimated range” comes in I guess.

It would have been nice for Tesla to rewrite this document to better distinguish between the two meanings of the umbrella term. But oh well.

Bottom line: The battery gauge always gives the EPA estimated range (think of it as a maximum possible range).
In summer, plan on achieving 80% of that.
In winter, plan on achieving 60% of that.
With lots of short trips (a few miles), you will do worse than these percentages.
With long trips of freeway miles at 65 mph, you will do better than these percentages.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
In Chicago here, took a 94 mile round trip this morning to my wife’s office and back home. Used about 124 “miles” of range on the battery. Mix of local and highway driving, lots of 45mph and 75mph. Temperatures around 40F here today. Is this about what I should be expecting? In warmer weather will my efficiency improve? Anything else to do to get more range out of the battery

Short Answer 1: YES - this is what you should be expecting (94/124 = 72% 'efficiency', which is quite reasonable at this time of year).
Short Answer 2: YES - in summer you should be up in the 82% range.]

Can you go 250 miles on a single charge? maybe in the summer if you charge to 100%. Never in the winter.

Just be glad that you can charge at home, and that you bought the long-range, and not the standard range,

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce