Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drains 3% within 24 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe so. I'm still collecting data, but it appears my battery pack temp is staying 8F above my garage temp. I don't think it's residual heat from charging it driving since it's parked 15 hours and charging finished 10 hours prior to taking the measurements.

The data from the CAN bus has these 2 fields (at the bottom). I'm trying to figure out what they are. I think the active heat is what temp it wants the battery pack to be when driving, passive heat when not driving. I finished a 60 mile drive and my battery temps were 84F once it reached normal operating temps.

Interesting data set you have there. I find it hard to believe that the vehicle wants the battery pack to be 87 degrees when it's in passive mode. Passive Mode? Does that equal asleep? If so, I can certainly see why my battery would deplete so much with the car trying to maintain that temp when it's 30 deg in it's environment.

I'm sure the system wants to maintain an optimum temp for the battery pack, just not 87!

I will file this as a possibility but keep searching for a reason for the power consumption when the vehicle is parked and having no communication with me. Does anyone have any information on what temp the battery pack is kept at? Is it a relative thing?

Who knows? Maybe it's been very active sending info to the NN about my parking spot!? But for now, I'm acting under the assumption that it's an operator issue and I just need to find that option that turns something on or off. And I'll gather more data from my meter, it could have been a fluke.

I believe so. I'm still collecting data, but it appears my battery pack temp is staying 8F above my garage temp. I don't think it's residual heat from charging it driving since it's parked 15 hours and charging finished 10 hours prior to taking the measurements.

The data from the CAN bus has these 2 fields (at the bottom). I'm trying to figure out what they are. I think the active heat is what temp it wants the battery pack to be when driving, passive heat when not driving. I finished a 60 mile drive and my battery temps were 84F once it reached normal operating temps.

Interesting data set you have there. I find it hard to believe that the vehicle wants the battery pack to be 87 degrees when it's in passive mode. Passive Mode? Does that equal asleep? If so, I can certainly see why my battery would deplete so much with the car trying to maintain that temp when it's 30 deg in it's environment.

I'm sure the system wants to maintain an optimum temp for the battery pack, just not 87!

I will file this as a possibility but keep searching for a reason for the power consumption when the vehicle is parked and having no communication with me. Does anyone have any information on what temp the battery pack is kept at? Is it a relative thing?

Who knows? Maybe it's been very active sending info to the NN about my parking spot!? But for now, I'm acting under the assumption that it's an operator issue and I just need to find that option that turns something on or off. And I'll gather more data from my meter, could have been a fluke.

Just noticed the double posting. I wonder how I can delete one of them?

Anyway, the second day of testing showed only a 2Kwh usage via the watt meter.

In my search for answers I downloaded Tezlab which appears to do the same monitor/reporting as the watt meter does, so I replaced the charge source with a 30a/220v and started monitoring the car with Tezlab. This was after the 2nd day of monitoring.

One of the first things Tezlab did was to attempt to put the car in deep sleep. Tezlab now reports the car is sleeping. In order to check the status the car needs to be woken up. I'll do that this evening and see what has happened.

Note that Tezlab has no control over whether the car sleeps or not. It is not "putting the car to sleep". What it can do is stop calling the APIs so that the car has the chance to sleep. There is no API endpoint to tell the car to sleep. It's the same with TeslaFi and all others. The car itself decides if it wants to sleep or not.

• Informative
Reactions: ahcpa

I figured out what the Target Bat Passive field is for. In cold weather, after you leave the vehicle, the BMS will sets the target battery temperature to be 86F for approximately 30 minutes. This is why you may hear various whines, whirrs, crackle and pops after parking the car in cold weather.

I figured out what the Target Bat Passive field is for. In cold weather, after you leave the vehicle, the BMS will sets the target battery temperature to be 86F for approximately 30 minutes. This is why you may hear various whines, whirrs, crackle and pops after parking the car in cold weather.

Can you tell what the operating temp of the battery that the car is looking for when driving?

I'm trying to quantify the total electric usage of the car, both driving and idle in colder weather.

There's the regular drain of approx 2% (still working on this number) over a day of parking outside int he cold (30-40F)

If you want the regen brakes to work effectively when you get in, you need to preheat the batteries by 15 min, or so, consuming approx 2Kwh. This also has the bonus of treating the batteries nicely.

I gather from your additional data on the target battery temp of 86F after parking the car, that the car could draw another block of electricity (don't know how much at this point) to maintain/reach that temp.

What I'm getting at, is that the Miles per Kwh efficiency we are presented with from Tesla (or any other electric car manufacturer) I suspect is based on actually going somewhere. Start driving at 90% and arrive at 80%. Go 20 miles. Simple math. This works just fine with ICE cars since they only consume energy when driving. An electric vehicle draws power when it is parked. Hence, we can never actually get the expected "mileage" out of our EVs.

Armed with this information I'm not as bummed about the car not being able to reach the published numbers. Still love the car, just setting my expectations a little closer to the "real world"

Can you tell what the operating temp of the battery that the car is looking for when driving?
In this weather (40-60F), it appears it wants the battery packs to be around 75-85F. If I did longer drives more often I'd be able to get a better understanding, but most of my weekly drives are 20-30 minutes. I do a few drives every month 80-90 minutes. The longer drive I did this past weekend, it appears the Stator motors provide some supplemental heating to help get the battery packs up to a more optimal level. Initially, the battery packs barely went up in temps. I saw a 3-4F increase in the first 30 minutes and for some reason, it finally rising at a faster rate the last 50 minutes. Unfortunately I lost the Bluetooth connection to the CAN bus at around the 40 minute mark so I couldn't see the gradual rise. Once I got home I reconnected to see what the battery pack temps were.

• Informative
Reactions: Barrygold
NO, I don't have installed any third-party app. But now I know why it was draining my battery, every hour I was checking my car battery. NOw I stopped checking and no more draining.

That'd do it.

I left my M3 at a parking service for a week when I flew out of town, I only checked the app twice and only lost around 2% after a week.

One-month-old Tesla Model Y battery drains 3% within 24 hours. Any suggestion? Dashcam and sentry mode off.

Do you have Smart Summon Standby on? That (and sentry mode) will cause phantom drain. Note, however, that dashcam will not, since it is not active when the car is parked. For your own sake I advise you enable dashcam .. you never what might happen on your very next drive.