Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. There is also one attached to the 12v battery. I saw the mobile tech who was replacing my 12v reaching out to it to disconnect it before the 12v swap.

@brainhouston - Do you know if the 12v fuse is also a Pyro type? Does it have battery or is it an entirely different fuse?
Yes pyro only, no battery. Used on many other car brands as well.
1690994496149.png

How do you know which size fuse you need? In epc.tesla.com there is:

DISCONNECT,PYROTECHNIC,CUR POWERED,2000A
Part # 1111313-00-F

Or

DISCONNECT,PYROTECHNIC,CUR POWERED,2366A
Part # 1111445-00-F

Is the 2366A fuse for the P100D models? I have a low mileage 2017 Model S P100D with a build date of 1/2017 on software version 2023.7.20. I have had the Active Alert since 7/20/23:
BMS_u031
Battery fuse requires replacement soon
OK to drive - Schedule service

Mine is the oem battery and the pyro fuse is located under the battery pack by the right front wheel/tire.

I have had my main battery fuse replaced and pick up the Tesla S 2015 85D soon. The cost will be $ 2055.46 U.S. Battery pack had to be taken out, and then there is a charge for a cover and clips. One post I read, here, stated it was paid under warranty. However, a warranty was not provided just a verbal no. I have not had the time to search. The part is $138.50, Cover for fuse top $31, and disconnect $175. There is a correction to this. Actually, showing how inexperience staff is at this repair. Parts. $546, Labor $1320.90 Tax, here, is 10%. Repair started as come to the house, which was soon changed to the shop. No loaner changed to the 2016 S I am driving for the last 4 days. No hurry to pick up car nor to pay until I get to the shop! Others experiences appreciated. My shop of youngsters Fife Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: MattChristian
I have had my main battery fuse replaced and pick up the Tesla S 2015 85D soon. The cost will be $ 2055.46 U.S. Battery pack had to be taken out, and then there is a charge for a cover and clips. One post I read, here, stated it was paid under warranty. However, a warranty was not provided just a verbal no. I have not had the time to search. The part is $138.50, Cover for fuse top $31, and disconnect $175. There is a correction to this. Actually, showing how inexperience staff is at this repair. Parts. $546, Labor $1320.90 Tax, here, is 10%. Repair started as come to the house, which was soon changed to the shop. No loaner changed to the 2016 S I am driving for the last 4 days. No hurry to pick up car nor to pay until I get to the shop! Others experiences appreciated. My shop of youngsters Fife Tesla.

Funny thing is I have had quite some trouble to get contact with service. Initially, after the alert pop-up my app had some trouble to set-up the appointment and I mailed directly to the service contact (that what the service is always using if they have some additional data/documents for me). It was no luck for one week so I sent new request on the app and this time it did got through. And surprisingly it’s still in status being reviewed. No progress at all…
And for the @mkmg question, I think the configuration needs Toolbox direct connection with the car, not sure this can be done online.
Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Bad news unfortunately with remote log in if that's the case. I was also contemplating changing the fuse, say nothing and hope when Tesla go to carry out the replacement, they see the updated fuse and assume it was a server error and just update my software.

A component that is installed in the battery should not be covered by the battery guarantee? The contactors are also exchanged during the guarantee period. it borders on being forced to show this message with the reference to "throttling after 6 months" in the display. This will be a very bitter pill for Tesla.

I have a 2016 model S p90d. The battery fuse warning popped up on mine about a month ago. They originally told us it would cost $386. I asked them if my battery warranty covers this and they said no. I took it in last week to have it replaced and after it was done they told us the warranty actually did cover it. So we didn't pay anything.

I have a 2016 model S p90d. The battery fuse warning popped up on mine about a month ago. They originally told us it would cost $386. I asked them if my battery warranty covers this and they said no. I took it in last week to have it replaced and after it was done they told us the warranty actually did cover it. So we didn't pay anything.
I don't have the first bill they sent me for the $386, but I do have the final one.

Attachments

• tesla_invoicebf52131f-4c72-4900-a64d-0340b956d1e2 (1)1024_1-01.jpeg
    tesla_invoicebf52131f-4c72-4900-a64d-0340b956d1e2 (1)1024_1-01.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 178
  • tesla_invoicebf52131f-4c72-4900-a64d-0340b956d1e2 (1)1024_2.jpg
    tesla_invoicebf52131f-4c72-4900-a64d-0340b956d1e2 (1)1024_2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 179
My fuse replacement message on my March 2023 P85D (so just out of warranty) popped up last week. Car has ca 70K miles. I spoke with the Tesla repair center in Geneva/Switzerland (who are very good). They told me that the fuse either needs to be recalibrated or replaced (verbal quote around 600 US$).
I am going on a 1500 mile trip prior to going in for the work at Tesla. They confirmed my trip was no problem at all.

We shall see....
Good news: warning disappeared after a reset. Tesla still wanted to check the car. 6 hours in the shop, no issues with the fuse. No cost. Excellent.

Got my car back today. The service advisor told me that there was a recent software update that sent out false alerts. He said they checked my vin and it was on the list of cars that received the false code. He said the technician inspected the fuse and it was in good condition so no replacement needed. No charge for the diagnosis since it was Tesla's error on the false alert. Attached is my invoice. I'm happy everything was fine.

However, it is a bit annoying that the result was what I suspected all along and I had been asking them to check their system before I brought the car in. Maybe they are just not set up to research the issue until they have the vehicle...I don't know. What they told me doesn't exactly match what was written on the invoice. At least I have peace of mind the car won't have this issue again.

Please note my situation is a abnormal because my HV battery was replaced earlier this year.

If you are getting this alert, I would recommend you have Tesla check it out as it is a safety concern.
Would you mind sharing your HV battery part number with us please?

As my 2015 MS 85 hasn't had the fuse message yet, I am afraid to install the latest software update 2022.8.10.16 which came in recently so I've bumped it 24hrs.
I understand the pyro message is thought to be separate from sw updates but I'm not 100% convinced.
My fuse is on top and the 2015 UK car had a warranty remanufactured battery replacement in April 2020 but they fitted an older battery 1088815-01-D.
I realise that if the fuse is no longer safe it should be replaced but I would rather avoid this for as long as possible in the offchance that Tesla may respond to complaints and lower the costs.

Last edited:
There is nothing linked to the .16 update you have pending, it’s all about if you dare to take that upgrade. Mine is 2016MCU1AP1 and I had no updates prior my message and after 48h it disappeared. My service request has not been answered also, although I asked what the situation is.
I have kept away from all the new software versions as long as possible, unfortunately service did upgraded the car to .11 version as the new Toolbox3.0 did not worked any longer. The result is that I lost the root access.

Agreed, but is the car monitoring the voltage of the batteries in the fuse or are Tesla just doing a rolling recall based on their guesstimate of the batteries' expiry date?
They have no way to monitor the state of the battery in the fuse. They just know how long they think it should last, which may be less time than they originally thought, and when their records show it was installed.