Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heater and 2017.50.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To clarify this is battery pack temp, not internal/external temp. So your battery needs to get cold soaked a bit.
Ah, of course. For a car outside or in a garage at steady state, they should be about the same. But I take your point!

I assume that’s the whole point of the wonderful snowflake icon if we’d only known that’s all it was for (to say the pack heater was on!).

Stumbled across this thread and am totally lost. I have 50.2 and have app version 3.2.3 (Android). I see no notes of any sort that refer to this feature -- where are people seeing any explanation from Tesla, even if (as stated above) it is inadequate?
Feeling a bit lost here...It is in the teens (F) here tonight and will be single digits tomorrow. So I need to do something new/different form what we did before?
Just occurred to me there may be something on this in the updated user manual (if it was updated in the latest release). I will check the car tomorrow....

Stumbled across this thread and am totally lost. I have 50.2 and have app version 3.2.3 (Android). I see no notes of any sort that refer to this feature -- where are people seeing any explanation from Tesla, even if (as stated above) it is inadequate?
Feeling a bit lost here...It is in the teens (F) here tonight and will be single digits tomorrow. So I need to do something new/different form what we did before?
Just occurred to me there may be something on this in the updated user manual (if it was updated in the latest release). I will check the car tomorrow....

Don't worry. Same here. I usually find out about new features here before any official Tesla communication. My car updated few days ago but nothing about the battery heater in the release notes.
Essentially the battery heater comes on a little longer and the app now shows it's status when you preheat your car. Nothing you need to do or change or keep an eye one. They just improved preconditioning the car.

I am in your boat as well I have the same version of both Tesla car software as well as Android. It is pretty cold here and I have preheated the car several times and see no battery heating Icon at all.

The interior temp for the car also seems to high when I go to preheat. The OAT is -1F the car is in the garage and the garage temp is 30 the interior or the car says it is 45. At any rate I cant get the battery heating Icon to come on at all.

The interior temp for the car also seems to high when I go to preheat. The OAT is -1F the car is in the garage and the garage temp is 30 the interior or the car says it is 45. At any rate I cant get the battery heating Icon to come on at all.

Just guessing, but your pack isn't cold enough. Leave the car outside for a couple hours. Also the interior temp measurement is just an error. Once you start climate control, it will drop.

Just guessing, but your pack isn't cold enough. Leave the car outside for a couple hours. Also the interior temp measurement is just an error. Once you start climate control, it will drop.
Yes. And OAT probably doesn't matter if your car is in a garage with 45 F. (Your car have to be a "freezing" environment; i.e. outside of your garage in your case.)

Yes. And OAT probably doesn't matter if your car is in a garage with 45 F. (Your car have to be a "freezing" environment; i.e. outside of your garage in your case.)
And that's the annoying/ confusing thing. Our X is charged inside a garage. Tried timing the charge to finish just as we were to leave and turning on the heat. While it was low 20F outside, the garage is +45F inside an the battery preheating didn't kick in but we still had the partial regen (yellow dotted line).
Now that the car is sitting outside our hotel in 5F temp (plugged in), I see the red snowflake battery icon when I turn on the heating.

And that's the annoying/ confusing thing. Our X is charged inside a garage. Tried timing the charge to finish just as we were to leave and turning on the heat. While it was low 20F outside, the garage is +45F inside an the battery preheating didn't kick in but we still had the partial regen (yellow dotted line).
There will be no snowflake in your garage. Because you've got +45F in there, so you get some regen anyway. Even if you had battery preheating going on in your garage, it wouldn't remove all your yellow dotted lines. It just takes away some of them, so that you have some regen (as opposed to none, which you'd have if your car was parked outside in the cold with no battery preheating)...

Battery preheat showing up for me this morning. The car cold-soaked at our hotel on central Nebraska at -8 deg F last night. I plugged into the SC this morning to top off. When sitting in the car and turning on climate control via the app, I had no battery heat indication. But getting out of the car and turning on climate control from the app gave me the red battery heat symbol on the climate control screen.
Today's drive will see temps between -14 and +8. My hat is off to our Norwegian friends who do this for their entire winter season.

I used the preheat yesterday. You first receive the white snowflake when you look at the Charging section of the Tesla app. After that, I went to Climate and started the preconditioning. It was after a minute or two after initiating the climate, the red snowflake appeared. My car was sitting outside for 10+ hours with a temp of 4F. I started the preconditioning 20 minutes before entered the car. The cabin was warm yes, but the right passenger and right back seat windows had ice on them from the inside? Even with the defrost on during the ride home, the windows still didn't defrost completely. Not sure what happened. Today I may start the process 40 minutes before since the battery wasn't completely warm per se.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171226-181643.png
    Screenshot_20171226-181643.png
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20171226-181210.png
    Screenshot_20171226-181210.png
    814.9 KB · Views: 68
Does it turn on even if I don't enable cabin heating? (Must I worry about draining when my car's not plugged in - right now we got freezing outside for months.)
Since your house is all boarded up and abandoned does the temperature actually matter? Anyway, your car was stolen, so why should you care?:confused:

I noticed one new message on my center display. In small blue letters, below the on/off symbol for HVAC control, it stated "Keep Climate ON".

I have never seen this before. I had turned on my Climate Control (using the Tesla App) about 10 minutes before getting in the S while on shore power. This message is a new one for me. However, once the cabin was warmed I turned the HVAC off. Looking at the TeslaFi raw data for that trip, the battery heater was on for about the first 5 minutes of the drive then turned off just about the time I turned the HVAC off.

The reported outside temp was about 16F and the interior cabin temp prior to turning on Climate with the App was 36F.

When sitting in the car and turning on climate control via the app, I had no battery heat indication. But getting out of the car and turning on climate control from the app gave me the red battery heat symbol on the climate control screen..
We noticed the same thing when charging at home on Monday. Before entering the car, I could see the red battery heat icon. I turned it off and got in the car and tried to turn on the heat via the app and it never showed the symbol during 20 minutes of waiting. We got out of the car and tried turning it on via the app again and the symbol showed back up. Seems a little (snow) flaky. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: David29