Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Cabin Heater...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
This morning my car seems to have decided to turn the heater on in rather strange fashion.

I seldom pre-heat my car in the morning. Today I thought I would as it's the first day I needed to drive in to work after having received the latest firmware that does battery pre-heat, and I thought I'd see if I'd get the app indicator it had triggered.

When I opened the app on the phone, I was surprised to see the the heat was already on. What's more, the car's temp was 4 degrees above the set point, yet it was still running. I turned it off from the app.

When I got in the car, I found I had burned 50-60 miles of range in the ~9 hours it had been parked. My assumption is that the cabin heat had been on for some time. I don't know if the battery eater was also on, but I did get power/regen limits on my dash, so if the battery had been heating it didn't get fully up to temp.

Possible causes I checked:

- In-car preconditioning setting: It remains set to OFF as I've had it for months

- My instance of Visible Tesla: I checked my scheduled events, and I have no HVAC events scheduled

-The App: Both my wife and I had our phones charging downstairs while we were asleep

None of the above would explain why the heat was running past the setpoint anyway.

I'm wondering if this is a bug associated with the battery warming logic in the latest firmware. Given that the battery still apparently wasn't fully warmed as well as the face that triggering battery preheat is tied to starting the cabin heat, perhaps there's a condition where it forgets to stop the cabin heater and keep running the battery heater.

I haven't reset my center console yet, because I want to see if it happens again. If so I'm going to see if I can determine how much power it's drawing to try and figure out of the battery heater is also running. I suspect mine could have been going for a couple of hours this morning to have burned that much range... ~15KWh or so?

I'm not posting this in the firmware thread because, although I did get 17.50.2 that was a couple of days ago, so I can't directly tie it to that yet.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
This morning my car seems to have decided to turn the heater on in rather strange fashion.

I seldom pre-heat my car in the morning. Today I thought I would as it's the first day I needed to drive in to work after having received the latest firmware that does battery pre-heat, and I thought I'd see if I'd get the app indicator it had triggered.

When I opened the app on the phone, I was surprised to see the the heat was already on. What's more, the car's temp was 4 degrees above the set point, yet it was still running. I turned it off from the app.

When I got in the car, I found I had burned 50-60 miles of range in the ~9 hours it had been parked. My assumption is that the cabin heat had been on for some time. I don't know if the battery eater was also on, but I did get power/regen limits on my dash, so if the battery had been heating it didn't get fully up to temp.

Possible causes I checked:

- In-car preconditioning setting: It remains set to OFF as I've had it for months

- My instance of Visible Tesla: I checked my scheduled events, and I have no HVAC events scheduled

-The App: Both my wife and I had our phones charging downstairs while we were asleep

None of the above would explain why the heat was running past the setpoint anyway.

I'm wondering if this is a bug associated with the battery warming logic in the latest firmware. Given that the battery still apparently wasn't fully warmed as well as the face that triggering battery preheat is tied to starting the cabin heat, perhaps there's a condition where it forgets to stop the cabin heater and keep running the battery heater.

I haven't reset my center console yet, because I want to see if it happens again. If so I'm going to see if I can determine how much power it's drawing to try and figure out of the battery heater is also running. I suspect mine could have been going for a couple of hours this morning to have burned that much range... ~15KWh or so?

I'm not posting this in the firmware thread because, although I did get 17.50.2 that was a couple of days ago, so I can't directly tie it to that yet.
I had a similar problem. I set the charge to 95% night before last. We were planning to leave fo Las Vegas early the next morning. I assume the car charged to 95 starting at 11 PM. But upon wakening I got a message that heating had olccurred and was shut down at 20%. WTH is going on. We had to delay leaving to charge the battery. I never preheat. Temp never anywhere near freezing in our garage. We plan to visit family in Utah on this trip and will not be within 60 miles of a SuperCharger. I gues I will need to take my charge cable along in case this happens again. I just updated to 2017.50.2. This troubles me.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I have a suspicion that turning on the climate control from the app now sets camper mode on, rather than just turning on heat for a limited time. Haven't really tested it, though. Still doesn't explain heating above the temperature setpoint.

Is it possible that when you last exited the car, you switched on the "camper mode" (switch that says something like, "Keep HVAC running")
I'm almost positive it wasn't.

The night before I was the driver, and although my wife cranked the heat up to 77 via the passenger side temp control, she didn't open the climate sub-panel... she never does, just cranks the temp up to get more airflow. (5 minutes later I have to turn it down lest we all start sweating...)

I have a suspicion that turning on the climate control from the app now sets camper mode on, rather than just turning on heat for a limited time. Haven't really tested it, though. Still doesn't explain heating above the temperature setpoint.
Nor does it explain why it was already running when I opened the app to turn it on, and apparently had been for hours...

I checked on the car several times last evening before going to bed around midnight. Nothing. No bad behavior by the time I got up this morning either.

was down in the teens around here this morning. Started climate control via the app and got the new battery preheat red snowflake.

So.. the misbehavior is inconsistent as well.

Battery pre-heating only works when the car is plugged-in. I'm guessing the OP was not plugged-in because he lost all of that range. Presumably, if he were plugged-in, the range wouldn't have declined.

I'm not sure shore power has ever been a requirement (there's some debate regarding if/when battery preheating kicked in on prior firmware), but definitely as of the latest firmware that's incorrect. Battery pre-heating will work on battery power alone.

I did it this morning: triggered climate control via the app,and within a few moments got the new battery heating icon on the app display.

And yes, I wasn't plugged in when the phantom heater kicked on yesterday.

I'm pretty sure that that is what Tesla said in one of the notes that HVAC in the app is now the same as camper mode and doesn't shut off automatically after 30 minutes.