Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery level decrease and increase while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery level of my S 90D 2016 usually decrease few % per day, unless it passes 12%, then decreasing 1% per hour until 5% while parked. Then charging until 80%, charching stopped and next hours the level increase until 84%.
Anybody has explanation for this phenomenon?

No explanation, but I see similar behavior. If I park my car at a state of charge less than 15% or so it will rapidly “lose” about 5% over the next several hours. Then charging will start, it will charge to the set limit, and at some point after that the BMS “finds” the missing 5% and the state of charge jumps to ~5% above whatever I set the limit to.

I’ve written it off as a quirk of a 5 year old car with 130,000 miles. It doesn’t seem to affect anything.

Noticed this as well on my 2016 P90DL. If I park below 10% and leave it for a few hours, it will lose 5-6% all at once. Then when I charge back up to say 80-90%, It will find the 5-6% again. My working theory (I can't prove it 100%) is that Tesla uses the 4 or so kWh of buffer below 0% as just that when the car is newer. But as the car ages, they incorporate that below 0% buffer into the actual range. So all in all, I think any one of us would not have much of a below 0% buffer on our cars anymore. I don't really want to test that out though haha but just a working theory on this.