Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery level issue after firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MS 90D brand new December 2016 delivery. Since then I have noticed that after each software update the battery level goes down significantly (like a 100 mil). The car is plugged in all the time during the update. When I drive the car later, the battery level jumps back up all of the sudden. Sometimes if I had set up a charge limit below 100%, after the update the car overrides it and charge it to 100%.

Today, I installed firmware 17.5.28. Before update, battery level was at 263 miles (charge limit set at 90%). After update it went down to around 160-170 (not sure the exact number because I didn't check the battery level till around 30 min later and it was already charging with a level of 180 miles at that time). I drove the car few miles. Level went down to match the driven miles. I came back and plugged it again (NEMA 14-50, mobile charger), it started to charge and when it reached 193 miles the charging speed started to slow down. "Charging complete" displayed at 199 miles. Normal 100% range is 293 miles. I's acting as if the car is displaying the battery level at 100 less than what it actually is (i.e. battery level at 293, but screen displaying 193).

I rebooted the main screen. No change. I turned the whole car's power off and then on. No change. I called customer support. They confirmed with the logs that the battery level went down significantly after the update. They forwarded the logs to the service center for further analysis.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Thanks.

First update on my new X P100D was 10/18/2017. 2017.40.1 e29b971

My battery charge WENT UP from 83% to 89%

WTF? I don'r recall that happening with my previous X 90D (I owned it for 8 months) although I may just have not noticed.

Are there any other forums or threads about Software updates and battery level changes?

There are lots of reports of this. Battery SoC is an estimate. Firmware updates basically reboot/reset everything, so the car has to come up with a new estimate of SoC after everything comes back online. Without the car moving and the battery pack producing significant current, it’s not so surprising that the estimate can be quite a bit different than it was when the update started. It seems to go back to “normal” pretty quickly after driving a bit.

Not something I’d worry about.

Reactions: David29