Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 85 S. When I purchased it it would lose about 3 miles of charge in 24 hours. It now loses 10 to 14 miles in 24 hours. I can’t leave it at the airport when we take extended trips. What would happen if I allowed it to “brick”and then asked Tesla to replace my battery under its 10 year battery warranty?

I don't know what the battery warranty was for 2013 Model S, but the current warranty is 8 years or 150,000 miles, not 10 years. Also, the warranty specifically excludes:
"...Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional actions (including intentionally abusing or destroying your vehicle or ignoring active vehicle warnings or service notifications), a collision or accident (excluding from Battery fires as specified above), or the servicing or opening of the Battery or Drive Unit by non-Tesla or non-certified personnel, is not covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
In addition, the Drive Unit is subject to the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Damage to the Battery resulting from the following activities is also not covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty:
• Damaging the Battery, or intentionally attempting, either by physical means, programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your owner manual and any documentation provided by Tesla) or reduce the life of the Battery;...."

Previously, they actually spelled out the exclusion still covered in the wording above that: "Leaving your vehicle unplugged until it discharges the battery to at or near zero state of charge" is excluded.

I don't know what the battery warranty was for 2013 Model S, but the current warranty is 8 years or 150,000 miles, not 10 years. Also, the warranty specifically excludes:
"...Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional actions (including intentionally abusing or destroying your vehicle or ignoring active vehicle warnings or service notifications), a collision or accident (excluding from Battery fires as specified above), or the servicing or opening of the Battery or Drive Unit by non-Tesla or non-certified personnel, is not covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
In addition, the Drive Unit is subject to the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Damage to the Battery resulting from the following activities is also not covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty:
• Damaging the Battery, or intentionally attempting, either by physical means, programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your owner manual and any documentation provided by Tesla) or reduce the life of the Battery;...."

Previously, they actually spelled out the exclusion still covered in the wording above that: "Leaving your vehicle unplugged until it discharges the battery to at or near zero state of charge" is excluded.

I could have been mistaken as to the number of years that the battery is warranted but I wasn’t intentionally trying to brick the battery I was simply asking if Tesla would replace me battery battery if it happened. Do you think 10 20 miles lost in. 24 hour period is normal?

If you have had a software update recently, page through the settings and see if a setting was changed by the update. I have had this happen more than once. Also try a full reset. Remember, after you tap the button, get out of the car, close the door and stay away for 3 minutes. Keep any key out of range. You can then operate as normal. If this doesn’t clear the problem, text Tesla service with the app.

I think that is high battery drain. It should be more like 5 miles. Try shutting down your car for 24 hours. Things to check are using Apps (both Tesla and 3rd party apps like Teslafi), Sentry and Security Mode, Energy Saving Option (automated on newer vehicles), Auto Present Handle Option, Climate Control and Cabin Overheat Settings, Allow Mobile Access, Data Sharing Option. If that works, try turning things you want back on one at a time to see what the biggest users of energy for you are.

Do you think 10 20 miles lost in. 24 hour period is normal?

If you read my post directly above yours and follow the links, you’ll find a good explanation of what is likely happening.

It’s “normal” in the sense that you can’t do anything to change it. That said, the extra drain should slow/stop completely once your charge drops below 70% or so.

I have a 2013 85 S. When I purchased it it would lose about 3 miles of charge in 24 hours. It now loses 10 to 14 miles in 24 hours. I can’t leave it at the airport when we take extended trips. What would happen if I allowed it to “brick”and then asked Tesla to replace my battery under its 10 year battery warranty?

I recommend you make sure Energy Saving is on and Always Connected is off. Set these from the center screen. Also, disable Preconditioning and Cabin Overheat Protection. You should make sure any third party apps are disconnected from your car. You can probably use the Tesla app to briefly check it every few days.

I recommend you make sure Energy Saving is on and Always Connected is off. Set these from the center screen. Also, disable Preconditioning and Cabin Overheat Protection. You should make sure any third party apps are disconnected from your car. You can probably use the Tesla app to briefly check it every few days.
Also removing Summon (Using the Auto Pilot sub menu) is also another recommendation

I would read the warranty language before attempting any such remedies. What is said in the forums and what is written in the warranty are often two different things. My 2013 P85 loses about 1% per day at 90% SOC.

I could have been mistaken as to the number of years that the battery is warranted but I wasn’t intentionally trying to brick the battery I was simply asking if Tesla would replace me battery battery if it happened. Do you think 10 20 miles lost in. 24 hour period is normal?
The point was that your battery won't brick and your car won't be ruined just because the battery is completely empty. Sure it might be difficult to get it towed to but as long as you can plug it into a charger it will come back to life.