TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery pack replacement

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Sambas, May 5, 2017.

1. Sambas

Sambas Member

My MX delivery was scheduled for last week, I got so excited and took a day off to go down to Cleveland to get the car. Then I got a call from my DS the day before saying that there is a "recall" they have to do before the delivery. He described something wrong with the battery that affected few Model X cars and they have to replace the battery pack! My brand new car has been sitting in Cleveland for a week now and I don't have a delivery time scheduled yet:( Has anyone had a similar problem?

2. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

The bright side is you're getting the latest and greatest version of the battery. Be sure to post a picture of the label when you do get it.

• Like x 2
  3. Sambas

Sambas Member

I thought I'm getting a brand new car with the latest and greatest of everything. Am I missing something? Is there a new battery pack out there?

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Not that I've heard, but the fact that they are fixing something suggests that they did make a change. That's all I'm saying.

5. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

I don't think they're making any changes. Same thing has happened to me and one other person so this makes three. Must be a bad batch of batteries. They are replacing mine with a new inventory vehicle.

Interestingly it seems they deleted the thread on the tesla forum.

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

You are but it doesn't last for long. Tesla makes changes at any time so the one that rolls off the line after yours could have something new or different. If there's an issue with the battery that requires recall or improvement, they may be changing your battery for the new ones.

7. Chumbo

Chumbo Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Waiting on a new battery pack.

8. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Do we know when the affected cars / batteries were manufactured?

9. archie_n

archie_n New Member

Just got the same call one day ago. My X100D is already at the local dealership and pick-up was scheduled for next Thursday :-( Curious how this will affect delivery...

10. Fingerz

Fingerz Supporting Member

I got the same call today for my P100D. Delivery postponed by two weeks while they wait for a replacement battery pack to arrive and be installed.

11. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Any more on the fault or resolution?

I'm more than curious.

12. Fingerz

Fingerz Supporting Member

The cause is not clear though my DS suggested it may be due to risk of leakage from the battery cooling system. The cure is a replacement of the entire battery pack. The replacement battery pack for my car is supposed to arrive at the service center this week. Since Tesla is only operating a makeshift service center in Dubai at the moment it could take some time for them to complete the swap.

• Informative x 1
  13. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Same reason here. Faulty cooling tube and full battery replacement. Took about 2.5 weeks to replace which was surprisingly quick.

14. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Did you get the replacement inventory vehicle you mentioned a few posts up?

15. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Yes. Delivered about a month ago. Works great so far! They said the battery swap only takes like 30 minutes.

16. Jays200

Jays200 Member

[QUOTE="Halcyon, post: 2091381, member: 48036"They are replacing mine with a new inventory vehicle.[/QUOTE]

I think I misunderstood your post. It sounded like you were getting a replacement new vehicle but I think you meant you were getting just the battery from a new inventory vehicle.

17. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Oh woops. Thought I h
    I think I misunderstood your post. It sounded like you were getting a replacement new vehicle but I think you meant you were getting just the battery from a new inventory vehicle.[/QUOTE]
    Woops - posted that update in another thread, but the inventory vehicle they were going to replace it with also needed a battery replacement, so I just kept my existing vehicle order and had that battery replaced.

• Informative x 1