Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pre-conditioning question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I am driving to a super charger the car starts to precondition automatically. But do I have to precondition the battery every morning before I drive or before I start driving from work to home [car parked for 4-8 hours]?

If so how do I pre-condition the battery?

Thanks.

No, that is never something that you need to do, or even something that needs to happen at all.
That battery preconditioning thing was just to address how people complained when they would plug into a Supercharger and it wasn't charging as fast as they wanted. The battery carefully monitors how much current it will accept based on how cold it is. So if it knows that it is going to a Supercharger, it will begin pre-warming just to give a higher charging rate to make people happy.

No, that is never something that you need to do, or even something that needs to happen at all.
That battery preconditioning thing was just to address how people complained when they would plug into a Supercharger and it wasn't charging as fast as they wanted. The battery carefully monitors how much current it will accept based on how cold it is. So if it knows that it is going to a Supercharger, it will begin pre-warming just to give a higher charging rate to make people happy.
Thank you.

Somewhat related; On my BMW i3 and specifically in the winter (in Canada) I would pre-condition the battery before leaving for work so that it was warm / in optimal condition. Would I need to do that with my incoming M3?
At the risk of repeating myself,...I'm going to repeat myself. The word "never" there actually did mean never. You don't ever have to do any of that. The battery will take care of its own temperature always. There are some little benefits you can get if you want to, but they are never necessary.

That thing with the i3 is the same as with any electric car. If it's starting off really cold, it's just going to take a lot of extra energy at the start to warm things up, including the inside of the cabin. That's not bad at all for the car, but that's going to use up some extra driving range. In a short range car like the i3, that matters, but in a long range electric car--not so much.

Reactions: Tezlowski
At the risk of repeating myself,...I'm going to repeat myself. The word "never" there actually did mean never. You don't ever have to do any of that. The battery will take care of its own temperature always. There are some little benefits you can get if you want to, but they are never necessary.

That thing with the i3 is the same as with any electric car. If it's starting off really cold, it's just going to take a lot of extra energy at the start to warm things up, including the inside of the cabin. That's not bad at all for the car, but that's going to use up some extra driving range. In a short range car like the i3, that matters, but in a long range electric car--not so much.

That’s a good point. Range is no longer a factor with the M3. Cheers.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
If so how do I pre-condition the battery?
So, after having said all that about how it's really not ever necessary, I will now answer this question. :cool:
There isn't any kind of setting or button that does this, because it's not meant to be needed. But the kind of work-around to get this as a side effect that Tesla owners have done sometimes for years is this: The most effective thing that does warm up the battery is charging. So if you want to specifically do this, you can start some charging a little bit before you're about to leave the house.

That's kind of twofold:
1. If the battery is really cold, like near freezing, the car knows it needs to warm the battery up more to allow higher current charging, so it will start intentionally heating it.

2. The charging process itself does create heat within the battery cells, so the charging will just warm the battery up some even if it's not intentionally trying to heat itself.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Preheating does help with performance and ability to regenerate. If a battery is left super cold overnight you'll have access to neither at full strength. So there are indeed some cases where preheating makes sense. Best way to do this is to put the local supercharger in your nav. This will trick it into preheating the battery.

On the Model S, when heading to a Supercharger and no Batterie pre-conditioning was done, the charging rate at the beginning was around 60-70 kW. Since we have the Batterie pre-conditioning option (showed on the top of the Navigation info window when targeting a supercharger) the charging rate starts very quickly up to 140 kW (900 km/hr). That makes a big difference in the charging time.

Batterie pre-conditioning message on top of the nav info window
SC Batterie pre-condition.jpeg

Charging rate of 140 kW at SC
SC charge rate 140 kW.jpeg

You could do what Rocky is suggesting by charging to 80% overnight, and then moving the cap up to 85-90% about an hour before you start driving. I believe this can be automated with a shortcut or possibly some third party apps if you weren’t comfortable using scheduled departure.

If you have an iPhone I believe you can make a shortcut that could change the SOC max. I would plan to have that linked to some automated routine such as, hit stop alarm in the morning and start charging.

Preheating does help with performance and ability to regenerate. If a battery is left super cold overnight you'll have access to neither at full strength. So there are indeed some cases where preheating makes sense. Best way to do this is to put the local supercharger in your nav. This will trick it into preheating the battery.
You can preheating the battery by cold weather by warming-up your interior before starting a trip. As you can see on the picture (the red icon on the right, shows that the battery preheating has been started (outside temperature was below 0° celsius).

Batterie preheating.png

You can preheating the battery by cold weather by warming-up your interior before starting a trip. As you can see on the picture (the red icon on the right, shows that the battery preheating has been started (outside temperature was below 0° celsius).

View attachment 580014
You forgot to mention the conditions for that. It will only add the battery preheating to cabin heating like that if it is around freezing or less. If it's 40-50 degrees, it won't bother with preheating the battery then.