Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery size - another question from someone who hasn't got their M3 yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest M3LR is said to have an 82 kWh battery. Is there any information displayed on the Touchscreen that shows that an 82 kWh battery is installed.

Yes, I know that there is (or might be?) a label on the battery that can be read by crawling under the car.

I've done due diligence. I've read the user manual, searched all 263 pages of it, but (as on many other occasions) no answer.

I believe that Tesla (like most other EV makers) quote total battery capacity, not usable size. They always tend to keep a few KW reserved so that as degradation occurs there is spare capacity to make up for it. So while the total size might be 82Kw the usable amount will probably be less.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
In all reality the difference of a few KW is neither here nor there. Sure it’s good to have, but with so many factors (temps, driving style, tyre pressure, wheel design, cargo weight, route etc) increasing or decreasing it it’ll be barely noticeable.

Don’t forget you’re encouraged also to not charge to 100%, so you’ll never even see the max rates range very often.

if it was a much bigger difference I get it, but this is a small amount.

Rather than worry whether it has a slightly larger battery instead make the most of driving it and the toys and tech it has.

Remove 6 small bolts and unclip some plastic bits and you can remove the frunk, where you'll find this:
IMG_20191204_114840_s.jpg

It may just be possible to see this sticker without removing the frunk, by using a mirror/torch/endoscope or whatever, but I haven't tried that...

Only if they software unlock the capacity! It certainly wouldn’t be bad thing to have spare capacity for degradation.

They're quoting longer ranges for the updated cars, so the range is unlocked. In ideal conditions it's maybe 15 miles extra range on the LR, in reality it's probably more like 10, but as usual driving style and conditions play the biggest part in governing those things.

The extra range under WLTP is less than a near 10% increase in battery increase would suggest. Factor in new wheel design, possibly different tyres, heat pump (although I don't believe this makes any difference to the WLTP tests) and other tweaks and you might get the ~4% increase in range they've quoted. Maybe they're released a tiny bit of extra too, or maybe they're starting to do what others do and keep the extra as reserve in their back pocket to protect the battery when 100% charging and give them the option to release a little if degradation happens.

As for when - it maybe linked to the 2021 model year, there was a car in Germany with the import papers saying it was an 82kwh battery so either there was a mistake on the paperwork or they are starting to ship.