Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Size vs EPA Rating(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit confused and hope you folks can set me straight. My 2020 LR AWD Y (built on July 12th, 2020) came with an EPA rating of 316 miles. I was told the battery size was either 75 kW or 77 kW with 72.5 kW available to use. Many YouTube videos seem to confirm the 72.5 number.

Then in Sept we supposedly received a SW update that increased our range to 326 miles. I never saw ANY increase, so I'm beginning to think not.

Then recently the Y's battery was increased in size to about 82 kW. That's 5 or 7 kW MORE than the original battery yet the EPA rating stayed the same 326 miles. Wouldn't a 5 or 7 kW increase be worth about 15+ miles of range?

So my questions are:

1. How big is the battery in my Y 75 or 77 kW
2. Did my Y get an increase to 326 miles
3. How come the newer Y's still have the 326-mile rating

Confused in fly-over county.

Reactions: JBABDB
I got my Y 3 weeks ago. I was curious about this too after I saw bearded Tesla guy posting the increased battery size. I wonder if they’ll release a range increase SW update…?
I have a May build LR Y. My TeslaFi battery degradation report has been consistently showing a low range of 324 miles to a high range of 331. My current report at 5100 miles lists a 331 mile range (real world range is 81% of rated miles (EPA numbers) or 270 miles). I consistently beat the arrival % range on the navigation system by 2%. This is at freeway speeds on Interstate 5 in California (which, because of traffic flow, averaged 68 mph, my max speed was 82)(altitude Gain 6696.4 ft / Loss -7333.6 ft Total -637.2 ft)
I logged 800 miles this weekend. I am having no mileage issues and am very pleased with the results. I don't care what size the battery is - I'm hitting all the projected numbers. I'm happy to post screen captures so you can understand these are real, not internet chat, numbers. Oh, the central valley was a toasty 105 and yes I used the air conditioner set to 72 and a fan setting of 1 to 2 - not on recirculation either.

Last edited:
1. How big is the battery in my Y 75 or 77 kW
2. Did my Y get an increase to 326 miles
3. How come the newer Y's still have the 326-mile rating
1) 77.8kWh when new, was the point where degradation showed. And your car was likely around this value when new. Repeatedly verified with SMT (77.8kWh) and discharge methods, which show the expected 0.99*0.955*77.8kWh = ~73.6kWh on the trip meter.

The battery capacity is not an unknown and there is no ambiguity.

2) Almost certainly got an efficiency boost. Was not an increase in energy. The range change was due to a change in constant so whether you see that or not does not matter, makes no difference (though knowing your actual constant is important). My guess is you got the range increase actually, but don’t follow the details closely for Model Y.

3) Because Tesla is not using the entire 82.1kWh, and also they are possibly hiding even higher range by keeping the degradation threshold artificially low. I think actually the new vehicles show 331 miles at a full charge at the absolute max (showing they have picked a higher threshold than your vehicle’s, but it could probably be higher still). See reports from recent vehicles here. This is a complicated topic (due to the gymnastics Tesla does with rated range and degradation) but the short answer is that the new vehicles have higher rated range AND higher real-world range.

I’m also wondering that same. Have you been able to find an answer to the question?

1) 77.8kWh when new, was the point where degradation showed. And your car was likely around this value when new. Repeatedly verified with SMT (77.8kWh) and discharge methods, which show the expected 0.99*0.955*77.8kWh = ~73.6kWh on the trip meter.

The battery capacity is not an unknown and there is no ambiguity.

2) Almost certainly got an efficiency boost. Was not an increase in energy. The range change was due to a change in constant so whether you see that or not does not matter, makes no difference (though knowing your actual constant is important). My guess is you got the range increase actually, but don’t follow the details closely for Model Y.

3) Because Tesla is not using the entire 82.1kWh, and also they are possibly hiding even higher range by keeping the degradation threshold artificially low. I think actually the new vehicles show 331 miles at a full charge at the absolute max (showing they have picked a higher threshold than your vehicle’s, but it could probably be higher still). See reports from recent vehicles here. This is a complicated topic (due to the gymnastics Tesla does with rated range and degradation) but the short answer is that the new vehicles have higher rated range AND higher real-world range.
That's exactly what I was looking for, I have saved this for future reference. Thank you.