Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new long range model Y with very low EPA range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my model Y long range, the same day I noticed that the EPA range is really low (battery 80% only show 200 EPA miles). For a 330 miles car, 80% battery should has around 264 miles. Now this car is within 100miles/7 days grace period. Is this normal? software problem or battery issue? I already submitted a service request, then there is a message in tesla app "...the HV battery for your car was ordered........" If this is true, I am not happy to get a car with defect battery.

message in tesla app "...the HV battery for your car was ordered........"
Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, California does not have a “cooling off” period and Tesla does not have a “return” policy. Once you’ve accepted it and driven it off, it’s all yours.

At this point, you have to let them fix it. If they cannot and it falls within the lemon law requirements, you can lemon it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

So to be clear, the EPA range is a rating that the US government provides and represents the theoretical range for a fully charged car in a a test involving city and highway cycles. Real world range can very quite a bit. The display is not based on EPA range- it is based on a variety of factors including environmental conditions and driving history. If you were driving on level ground at 60 mph or so in 70 degrees ambient, you would get very close to the EPA range and your meter will adjust accordingly. Just enjoy your car and don't freak out too much- knowledge is power.

Battery is 79KW, 70% of that is 55,3KW

If using 237 wh/mi then you should have a range of 233 displayed, so if it says 176 it does seem low, compared to what it would realistically do.

One caveat is, it might calculate it over the last X miles, so if you have driven it hard (or uphill a lot) it might use that number instead. (Average for the lifetime of the car can be lower than the average figure measured over the last, say 100 miles).

A quick calculation would indicate that with that SOT and that range, the consumption it uses for the calculation is more like 314 wh/mi if the range is to be believed, and the battery is not bad.

If the battery is bad in fact down on power to this degree, i would imagine that Tesla could "easily" see this problem in some service menu, where the real battery capacity is calculated.

One caveat is, it might calculate it over the last X miles, so if you have driven it hard (or uphill a lot) it might use that number instead. (Average for the lifetime of the car can be lower than the average figure measured over the last, say 100 miles).
I drive carefully and gently, and no uphill. When I pick it up, there was 10 miles, then I drove about 60 miles, now the total is 70 miles. Maybe in that 10miles, they drive very hard?

Not only the EPA range problem. My car does not auto-lock with phone key, I can only lock it manually in the app, the screen is always on after locking the door, after 30 minutes it turns off by itself (All my set up is correct, a Tesla mobile technician came and confirmed this problem but did not fix it. She helped me submit another service request, and I need to drive to service center later).

And battery drains very fast today. At 6pm today I saw 70% battery, now at 10:30pm, it drops to 61%. Previously each night there were 3% loss in battery. Today I do not know why it drains very fast, I could hear electric current noise near the front wheel. By the way, I turned off wifi, sentry mode, camping mode, made screen brightness 0%.

The range it shows also depend on driving style, maybe if this car was driven a bit spirited, either by someone transporting it to your home or by yourself, the estimated range will drop.

What does the trip menu say about average power consumption ?

In case i am right, i am sure the range will adjust when you drive the car more efficiently.
The range displayed at the top of the screen next to the battery icon or at the top of the phone app is NOT dependent on driving style. It’s strictly EPA rated ideal range.

The estimated range displayed in the consumption page of the energy app the only one reflective of driving style.

It does seem like there is an unnaturally high battery drain.

I also sometimes wonder as mine also sometimes for some reason, unknown to me seems to be running something under the hood, but i have never seen battery drain like that.

I think it is about 3% in 8 hours if i park somewhere, where sentry is active.

I guess you have enabled "Lock car when leaving".

Also i would argue that 70 miles is a bit short to make any claims about the range or missing range. :)

Anyway, lets hope Tesla solves your problems for you.

This OP already said in the first post, that they submitted a service request, and the response was:

I already submitted a service request, then there is a message in tesla app "...the HV battery for your car was ordered........

So im not sure why all the rated range discussion in this thread. If we take the OPs post at face value (and there is no reason not to), there is no reason at all in the slightest to discuss anything related to "my car isnt getting range" until the battery is replaced in this vehicle.

Just picked up my model Y long range, the same day I noticed that the EPA range is really low (battery 80% only show 200 EPA miles). For a 330 miles car, 80% battery should has around 264 miles. Now this car is within 100miles/7 days grace period. Is this normal? software problem or battery issue? I already submitted a service request, then there is a message in tesla app "...the HV battery for your car was ordered........" If this is true, I am not happy to get a car with defect battery.
The 7 day grace period ship sailed years ago. If Tesla believes there is an issue with the battery pack in your new Tesla Model Y vehicle let Tesla replace the pack. Your new vehicle 4 year / 120,000 battery warranty will continue to be in effect. If OK to drive until Tesla can ship the replacement battery pack to the local Tesla service center then drive as you normally would. Be sure that Tesla provides you with a loaner vehicle while replacing the battery pack (it will probably take Tesla more than 1 day to replace, test the vehicle after installing the replacement battery pack.)

Reactions: beewang
I drive carefully and gently, and no uphill. When I pick it up, there was 10 miles, then I drove about 60 miles, now the total is 70 miles. Maybe in that 10miles, they drive very hard?

Not only the EPA range problem. My car does not auto-lock with phone key, I can only lock it manually in the app, the screen is always on after locking the door, after 30 minutes it turns off by itself (All my set up is correct, a Tesla mobile technician came and confirmed this problem but did not fix it. She helped me submit another service request, and I need to drive to service center later).

And battery drains very fast today. At 6pm today I saw 70% battery, now at 10:30pm, it drops to 61%. Previously each night there were 3% loss in battery. Today I do not know why it drains very fast, I could hear electric current noise near the front wheel. By the way, I turned off wifi, sentry mode, camping mode, made screen brightness 0%.
Have you tried to reboot the car? I have noticed the last few symptoms related to battery drain are an indicator or a function of a software update. Usually kick-starting it helps address idle drain problems.

This OP already said in the first post, that they submitted a service request, and the response was:

So im not sure why all the rated range discussion in this thread. If we take the OPs post at face value (and there is no reason not to), there is no reason at all in the slightest to discuss anything related to "my car isnt getting range" until the battery is replaced in this vehicle.
Yes. If Tesla service thinks the battery is bad, I'm quite sure that it is.

Just an update. The battery pack was replaced, right now the EPA range is normal. Driver side seat was also replaced to solve door autolocking problem. The battery fast drain problem is automatically solved. I could see a 1-2 miles drop each day when the car is in idle condition. I think it is good now.
That was pretty fast..... Good to hear. Now just switch to percent on your battery and enjoy the car!

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Just an update. The battery pack was replaced, right now the EPA range is normal. Driver side seat was also replaced to solve door autolocking problem. The battery fast drain problem is automatically solved. I could see a 1-2 miles drop each day when the car is in idle condition. I think it is good now.
Thank you for following up.

I'm sorry they pushed a defective car onto you, but I hope you're good now.

Got LR last week and my numbers are way off...my energy consumption is 310wh/mi, and surprisingly my auto lock is also not working, I have to manually lock it from phone every time
If you tap the lock icon on the main screen above the vehicle graphic (after you open the driver's door and after any passengers have exited the Tesla vehicle) the doors will lock. The driver's door will lock when you close the door as long as you don't leave your phone in the vehicle.

You can use the voice command "Lock [the] doors" the same as tapping the lock icon on the screen (this voice command is great for when you are wearing gloves.)

If you turn on Fold mirrors while parked this provides a fast visual confirmation that the Tesla Model Y is locked.

Learn a half dozen or so Tesla voice commands. Tesla Voice Commands

Last edited: