Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery State Of Health, anyone ran it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I stopped over in front of my local Tesla service centre and could put the car in service mode.

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpeg

Has anyone ever played with this?

“Vehicle needs to be plugged into a >= 6kW AC charger. The test will take up to 24 hours. Do not interact with the vehicle or the test may abort. See Toolbox Article 6384000 for more details about the SOH test.”

How do you know when it’s done?

Yeah, I've heard of people running it. Results don't look so good... In any case this will essentially do this:
- run the battery down by spending energy (heating and cooling battery at the same time essentially, since you're stationary).
- charge full
- report on how much energy went in.

You can do the same by driving, and some Youtubers do that. I believe it's : charge full, drive at 80-90kph with gentle acceleration etc, then charge full and count the amount of energy that goes in. You can adjust with the percentage you left in as you wouldn't quite drive until the car stops.

Your car estimates it in the "kilometers of range" displayed. TeslaFi gives an estimate (and other apps too). In any case you shouldn't worry about it unless your battery only gives 70% of advertised or so... I say it stresses the car for a non-important reason.

Reactions: zoomer0056
So I'm running it on mine.

I started with 20%. It went down to 8% and then stayed there for about 2 hours. After that it started charging.

7582C1DB-3B48-4922-95E0-0C6465138DCC_1_105_c.jpeg

3B71FF48-D532-4817-9FBF-4078D62D217E_1_105_c.jpeg

The test was only using about 6kW to discharge the battery, having a 2019 model 3 with a resistive heater, I also started the heater to max temperature to speed things up a bit; it drew over 13kW at one stage. At 12% I stopped the heater and let the car proceed normally.

My battery was showing a nominal full pack of 68.3kWh at 50%; at 12% SoC it dropped to 67.9kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and zoomer0056
Wel, that was a bit of a bummer. The test had completed. But for SOH it was still showing —-

So not sure what happened here.
Something probably caused it to stop the test, since it didn't drain the battery to 0% like it should. Also, you don't need to go to a Service Center anymore to enter Service Mode. Service Mode "lite" is available anytime and anywhere now.